SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

moneys probably not as big a issue as having time/ resources. and most of the places that have yet to be repaired are in remote or back roadish areas so no realy hurry up needed.

i spotted a deep red m35 stag rolling into town with vic plates. thought it mite of been a reccy car?

i heard budget was most definately the biggest issue. Figures of 30 million needed to fix everything..... that's a LOT of money, even for someone like Snowy!

Well 944 is good to go once again, but ultimately this will be her last event.

Today is shopping day, and we are moving to the modern field...

are you too cool to play with us in early modern?

Well 944 is good to go once again, but ultimately this will be her last event.

Today is shopping day, and we are moving to the modern field...

Does he have an idea of vehicle or is he looking at options?

I'm pretty keen to move to modern next year too. This early modern field is getting too competitive and if YT moves to classics then modern opens right up! :)

"unbeatable emos"...... LMAO, tell me you're kidding.

Relax M8... I'm not running lol.

But we are trying to take your dream car to time attack... RB20 worth 15k, and look out.

I now officially have splinters re branding [TBH i dont care] Crewing for an M in EM, my mate who peddles the RB20 is TT in a Porsche and I keep driving past the RS Focus and thinking - would have to be a fair thing.

TT

Does he have an idea of vehicle or is he looking at options?

I'm pretty keen to move to modern next year too. This early modern field is getting too competitive and if YT moves to classics then modern opens right up! :)

Yeh test driving a car today in Brisbane, then hoping to trade something else in the garage in on it.

You can build a hand grenade up for EM and go out and win it or bin it.... OR buy a new modern car, have care free motoring, finish and hope for a top 10.

"unbeatable emos"...... LMAO, tell me you're kidding.

Well I don't exactly have much positive energy left for the old Dak Dak... and I don't think a 944 with 150kw atw can cut the mustard much anymore. But we'll see, 3 DNF's don't really lift your confidence.

Plus EMO's have filled 5 of the 6 podium spots for the last 2 events.

Targa is a long event though and I guess experience counts and not too many of the EMO contenders have done more than a 2 day rally before, but then again tyre management has been thrown out the window with the new tyre regs.

Greg, I don't understand you post! lol

Timmy, I hear you, I think the 944 is outgunned these days, it's only needing more power. it has handling and braking in droves. It's still a weapon in the wettoo, so I think a 968 Turbo upgrade would be a killer in the right hands, ie, Gav's.

I don't see the attraction to go Modern...... I'd personally LOVE to be in EM mixing it up with you guys!

If I were to run a modern car, I'd run Showroom 2WD, in a BMW 135i, and annoy THAR SHITE out of Mazda :)

Edited by Marlin

The event needs EM and Classic... All the drivers want trouble free motoring lol. Ask Quinny about trouble free Motoring. And believe me it aint all plain sailing - I think the green grass saying may well apply.

Finishing in the top ten these days Timmy aint no cruise. (Check out YT's 2010 TWP in-car if you need a reminder)

And have a good time in the EVO IX this week end too Tim lol. Hope it is trouble free for your 1st time out.

TT

Relax M8... I'm not running lol.

But we are trying to take your dream car to time attack... RB20 worth 15k, and look out.

I now officially have splinters re branding [TBH i dont care] Crewing for an M in EM, my mate who peddles the RB20 is TT in a Porsche and I keep driving past the RS Focus and thinking - would have to be a fair thing.

TT

so your crewing for Pete and Keith?

I'm low on sugar - might need rewording after lunch.

So 2WD, the Focus not a thing? And now the cut off $$$ has been Raised - the M' BMW should be a good tool.

TT

The event needs "Classic" more than anyone seems to realise.

I forget the actual figures, but the State Gov't will only allow the event to proceed if (say) 50% of the field is "Classic". That's why we found ourselves in "Classic' two years ago..... to make up the numbers.

Early turbo 2WD cars would have likely stayed there to expect for the whining.

i urge some of you to build Classics...... my buddy Chrisso Dean has a tarmac prepped XT GT Falcon that I'd dearly love to run one day!

Greggy, the new little M will be good, and light too hopefully! The $$$$ cutoff was always ok for the 135i, it's always snuck in just under. Beats me why no one has run it yet.

The Focus RS would be a good thing no doubt, but I still think a rear driver would be quicker in the right hands.

Edited by Marlin

so your crewing for Pete and Keith?

No Ben... KJ has it sorted I think - although will watch them with interest. The boy can drive... That RB20 has no right to be doing the times it does at Symmons and Basky.

Giving a bloke in an EM TME a hand.

TT

If I were to run a modern car, I'd run Showroom 2WD, in a BMW 135i, and annoy THAR SHITE out of Mazda :)

LOL - ever driven one of those 135's in anger? Not sure they are the solution! I was a fair whack quicker around the Ring in a base model VW Scirocco than the 135i simply because the bimmer was too damn scary to punt hard! :) I know Newton struggles to keep his new one pointing in the right direction down the road too. And he was of the same opinion as you - until he bought one.

I think Greggies Focus RS is the better option until a decent Turbo RWD becomes available. But Showroom needs more than 3 entries to feel credible.

You're all fkn soft a too used to poofter AWD cars. yes I've driven one, guy who owns the business next door has one with Euro brand coiler overs and sways, basic mods for 260 RWKW. The thing would shit on my 32..... so i guess it'd be reasonably quick :)

I'm not doubting they're a bit sketchy on stock suspension (as the dude next door said too!), but a couple of simple mods that can be done under showroom, instant GOOD THING!

In fact, I'd beat the Showroom 4WD guys too. :nyaanyaa:

Edited by Marlin

Timmy, I hear you, I think the 944 is outgunned these days, it's only needing more power. it has handling and braking in droves. It's still a weapon in the wettoo, so I think a 968 Turbo upgrade would be a killer in the right hands, ie, Gav's.

I don't see the attraction to go Modern...... I'd personally LOVE to be in EM mixing it up with you guys!

Too right, it could do with about 100-150 more hp, but I don't know that gav's driving style would suit a turbo. plus to build a 968 Turbo RS is big dollars in the engine alone :(

It does clean up in the wet though :P

And have a good time in the EVO IX this week end too Tim lol. Hope it is trouble free for your 1st time out.

TT

Thanks greg she sure is a good thing, the learning begins come saturday morn!

The event needs "Classic" more than anyone seems to realise.

I forget the actual figures, but the State Gov't will only allow the event to proceed if (say) 50% of the field is "Classic". That's why we found ourselves in "Classic' two years ago..... to make up the numbers.

Early turbo 2WD cars would have likely stayed there to expect for the whining.

i urge some of you to build Classics...... my buddy Chrisso Dean has a tarmac prepped XT GT Falcon that I'd dearly love to run one day!

Greggy, the new little M will be good, and light too hopefully! The $$$$ cutoff was always ok for the 135i, it's always snuck in just under. Beats me why no one has run it yet.

The Focus RS would be a good thing no doubt, but I still think a rear driver would be quicker in the right hands.

Alot of classic cars are still big dollar, and probably more than what a large percentage of modern cars cost.

PS That Green RS Focus is gone. Baldrick and Bec bought it.

Alot of classic cars are still big dollar, and probably more than what a large percentage of modern cars cost.

The bigger concern for me is that Classics take far too much talent to drive well - and talent is something I'm a little short on. So I need all the electronic help I can get! :)

(But I would love to man up and build an E30 M3 - or a 7.2L V8 Plymouth Barracuda!)

1970plymouthcuda21.jpg