SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

.........One of the things I'll be giving some feedback on is the scruitineering of cars (well checking of tyres) during the day. Three service crews(including ours) saw an EM competitor pull up for service after Hellyer and take THREE TYRES during their stop. The incident was reported, but apparently nothing could be done as there was no photographic evidence and the car turned up to service that evening with correctly marked tyres back on the car. I'm sure the bad weather & incidents that afternoon meant the stage officials were focused on other things, but it's still disapointing that a car which would have been running with unmarked tyres was not picked up, and went on to finish well inside the top ten.

When I blasted thru the Waratah TO service area it was absolutley pissing down... I couldnt see the dash let alone what was going on elswhere. I heard the accusations and also the story of what happened from one of the accused crew – I have to say the story was quite plausible. One question – was there three wheels on the road ready to be fitted, or was the guys moving them in and out of a serviuce vehicle? They had a puncture on day 2 so I am tipping there might have been some indecision as unlike most they did not have two fresh ones to go on… I have no Mazda axe to grind, but hearsay and innuendo with out proof is no more interesting than the royal wedding.

TT

So Kate Middleton was a stripper and you gave her a months worth of wages in tips?? :)

It will be interesting to see the Targa footage this year. They lost so many front runners along the way the whole week in both outright and classics that the story could be a bit dis-jointed on TV.

I still don't think EM will get much (if any) coverage even though there were a couple of cars running in the top 10 outright for a bit there. So I think if you really want coverage in an older car you need to go the Matt Close option and put your hand up to run in outright even if you are in an EM car. I haven't decided what I am going to do in the future but I think if I do run Targa again it will be in outright - not sure whether that will be in the current car or else in a new one. Some of the guys like Matt Close, Dean Evans and Dean Herridge showed you don't need a $1M Lambo to do ok in outright - and hell Brenno's effort was simply awesome.

But I think in the short term a trip to Europe with Brisby to go Ice racing in Finland and driving an F1 car in Southern France might take priority over tarmac rallying. Targa is great fun - but there are so many other things out there to do with cars as well.

When I blasted thru the Waratah TO service area it was absolutley pissing down... I couldnt see the dash let alone what was going on elswhere. I heard the accusations and also the story of what happened from one of the accused crew I have to say the story was quite plausible. One question was there three wheels on the road ready to be fitted, or was the guys moving them in and out of a serviuce vehicle? They had a puncture on day 2 so I am tipping there might have been some indecision as unlike most they did not have two fresh ones to go on… I have no Mazda axe to grind, but hearsay and innuendo with out proof is no more interesting than the royal wedding.

TT

I can't hand on heart say what happened because I wasn't there and I am also not one to support hearsay and innuendo.

All I can say is that I heard directly and independently from each of the service crews who saw this happen, and that three tyres were taken out and three were put onto the car. There was definitely no rotation of tyres (I asked this question of the people telling me what happened a number of times to be sure).

One guy thought it looked a bit suss from the outset when he saw three tyres come out, and tried to video what was going on from from his phone. From what I understand the file didn't come out clearly/completely enough to be acted on.

I know all of the people who witnessed this happening quite well and have no reason to doubt what they say they saw. One of the crews supports a car running in a different category so they had no real motive for telling me what they saw, other than they thought it was wrong that someone should be doing this (and doing it so blatantly).

I can't believe I'm actually typing this...... but guys, gimme some feedback.

Should I buy an Evo 6 or an 8? Early modern is where it's at, 8's are elligible next year I believe.....

I love the lack of weight in the 6 (and the look), but feel that maybe the 8 is actually a better "thing", a bit newer, a bit tougher.......

**flame suit is on**

I've had a long hard think about it, and whilst the Audi could be done, I feel, for me at least, it's better to campaign something that I can afford to walk away from without shedding too many tears. That's the advice I give people, so I should probably heed it :) lol

Plus, I'm keeping my Skyline to use up here, and plan to keep the Evo in Tassie so I can save a bit (heaps actually) on freight. The Audi, well it would need to be my "daily driver" and hence cannot stay in Tassie lol

When I blasted thru the Waratah TO service area it was absolutley pissing down... I couldnt see the dash let alone what was going on elswhere. I heard the accusations and also the story of what happened from one of the accused crew – I have to say the story was quite plausible. One question – was there three wheels on the road ready to be fitted, or was the guys moving them in and out of a serviuce vehicle? They had a puncture on day 2 so I am tipping there might have been some indecision as unlike most they did not have two fresh ones to go on… I have no Mazda axe to grind, but hearsay and innuendo with out proof is no more interesting than the royal wedding.

TT

Hearing you Greg,

it seems if they were being so blatant about it either they are very silly or arrogant, or what they were doing was legit so they had nothing to hide.

I heard similar stories as I am sure many have about the legitimacy of Quinns engine in his 35. Stories like "its a 100k cosworth 4 litre" etc etc. I called a couple of people on it and asked how they knew.....silence.....So I suggested maybe they get some facts first. He certainly doesnt seem to be down on power, but I dont think making good power has ever been a problem for GTR's. :) And the reality is whatever car it is, it doesnt steer itself and still needs to be piloted to get the result. Shame to see this sort of stuff being peddled and tarnishing his efforts without any strong basis. (well i am not aware of any...happy to be enlightened) I am guessing these things start by one person saying "I reckon he's running a stroker" and the next time the conversation is had the "I reckon" has been dropped and all of a sudden its fact. I doubt anybody actually has the first hand evidence to prove the claim but some mud will always stick.... Seems to be plenty of "talk" around targa.....probably one of my least favourite parts of the event.

Be keen to hear from anyone as to what capacity my evo finished up with by the end of the event. ;)

For me I dont think Targa will ever go better for us so I am quitting while I am ahead. :) The reality is the money tree has absolutely no foliage left on it. Despite the fact that the car wouldnt take much to front up again, its still a massive undertaking. Hopefully get back there one day, but it will be a while away. For now I will put a ridiculous wing and a front splitter on my car and do some track stuff here in WA. Awesome to have got over there once though and lived the dream. Such a unique event.

Haha, Blaise, I heard yours had the prototype of a new 3.4 litre engine :D

But it makes me laugh, people who go on about strokers.... as if power is the be all and end all of doing well in the event. It's simply not! Most of us here know what it takes, a combo of good notes, good commitment, good preperation, and yes, a good car too. Fact: I know of a few cars that absolutely have illegal cheater gear on them, strokers included, but the guys can't drive for shit, and never seem to do any good. Weird that huh! LOL

Timmy and I heard whispers surrounding our car in 2009 of a stroker/RB25/cheater/whatever. No one ever came out and asked us though. I would have gladly taken them over the car to show them how little it actually did have, I may not have been quite as proud of all the China brand stuff on it though :P

And Blaise, as I said to you at Tugga, if you decide to sell, let me know ok :)

I can't believe I'm actually typing this...... but guys, gimme some feedback.

Should I buy an Evo 6 or an 8? Early modern is where it's at, 8's are elligible next year I believe.....

I love the lack of weight in the 6 (and the look), but feel that maybe the 8 is actually a better "thing", a bit newer, a bit tougher.......

**flame suit is on**

Hey Woo,

so they are shifting the EM date???? Although doesnt seem to matter as it seems if you know the right people you can run an VIII/IX chassis in EM. ;)

My view is I reckon the 8 is the way forward, or if not eligible the VII. The RS is the go. (8MR RS??) The ACD (active centre diff) is a good thing and does add some genuine performance benefits. (and a little weight) The chassis also seems a little more stable so be better for the silly high speed stuff. I had an 8MR road/track car once upon a time and they have all of the electronic acronyms fitted. (AYC, ACD etc etc ect) and I found it a little dull to drive. Too digital.... I'm more for analogue. :) Was still very quick, and also vry forgiving. You could get stuff a little wrong, keep it buried and let the elctronic talent come to the rescue. There is certainly something to be said for a car that is a little more forgiving and allows greater consistency. Retaining the ACD but with mech diffs elsewhere would be tops.

You will no doubt make a VI lighter, but I am not sure it will be hugely lighter if you really work hard on a VII-VIII. Heaps more parts around for the VII-IX too.

All that said, nothing wrong with a VI/TME, but I think the CP9a chassis woudl be the go.

Edited by Darkside

^^^^^ Yep... I am guessing team Perini is in one??

Similar to yourself woo, I really liek the look and slightly old skool nature of the TME. And it just happened to come up at auction at the right price.

But had I read the rules more closely and realised a VII was eligible, that probabaly would have been the car to build. And realistically, they are near enough to a IX (sans mivec) in VII clothing.

Edited by Darkside

Something I hear which is of great importance for me given my track record (or Timmy's bad calls? :P haha), panels and bars etc are cheaper for the later ones?

Any truth in that?

Edited by Marlin

What happened to, "these emo's are really easy to drive, but i'd never compete in one"?

Did you ask lowana Garwood about buying her emo? it's YT's old one, even comes with a 2.2

Something I hear which is of great importance for me given my track record (or Timmy's bad calls? :P haha), panels and bars etc are cheaper for the later ones?

Any truth in that?

Absolutely. Given the amount of guys still punting VI's in the gravel as well as tarmac, consumables like front bar skins and guards etc can be a little harder to come by from wreckers. That said you can still buy new from mitsi...just a little pricey. Parts common to the lancer (doors) are easier to find and cheaper. Its mainly the ali bonnets and front guards that can be hard to find. Although if you dont mind investing in spares, there always seems to be the odd front cut coming in from time to time so you can snap em up and put them aside.

If you cant get factory, you can always get FRP or carbon bits from your ususal aftermarket people for the VII +. Much harder to get these types of things fot the VI.