SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

"I'm not quite sure who/what you're taking aim at? Care to elaborate? I think you're referring to Series 6 through 8 RX7's?

Let the record state, I for one couldn' give a rats arse about them. Come one, come all I reckon"

If the quote function would operate as I expect it too....allowing attribution, it would be so much easier, I'm a bit simple minded for that however! Was referring to the three preceding posts.

Appears to be several inequities in 7 and 8 if date of the car is the deciding factor. Short of going to 4 digit number plates and a greater proliferation of categories/classes so everyone can still win a prize, you'll always have after the event whining......I can just imagine what will happen when 35s become eligible for EM!

Anyhoo, the comment that a S8 with basically a nose-job and a rear wing change can be the huge deciding factor over an earlier car when both are in competition trim - you'd have to say that's a reach and a half.

Something to go out on

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5uWa5tECp7U

I don't think there'll ever be a perfect system, some vehicles have "run-ons" (Series 8?) that simply disadvantage themselves by stepping into another category.

Why are you talking down your wheelin abilities Richo?

it's a classic tactic. downplay my awesome skills then BAM! up the indside and straight into the side of you like michael schumacher.

yeah but the thing is people know what the classes are. so if earlier FD RX7s are eligible for EM but late series 7/8 FD's are only allowed in M due to their build date then the easy solution is don't buy the late model car. if there truly is no advantage in it then it's not a problem, just a quirk of cars that have long model lives. there probably is some advantage in a 2001 S8 FD over say a 1992 model if only in the fact that it's nearly 10 years newer with stiffer chassis etc that that implies. I say we all buy various model FD RX7s and duke it out. there's nothing quite like half a dozen FD RX7s brap brap brapping their way through tassie's lovely rodes. although a few forest fires may be started from all those exhaust flames...

The biggest issue I hear with them is with LEGAL turbos on them, they simply struggle to last the duration, and the turbo are a bit dear to just keep chucking at them..

I think it much preferable to have a 32 GTS-t series.... Savman has one, I have one, Matt Close is running Perry's at Classic Adelaide, heck, even when talking to YT last week he recons a whole bunch of them would be good times, floating the idea of borrowing one himself. lol

I did get mildly aroused at the USD32.5k Viper in the other thread...... fark we could throw something like that at the trees hard... hey Timmy! :)

Edited by Marlin

yeah the S8s do have better turbos that last a lot longer too. easy enough to get 250kw out of one with the standard sequential twins and apart from a little drop off over a couple hundred rpm when the first one runs out of puff but before the second kicks in they make for a pretty decent power curve too.

agree GTST series would rock and also agree that viper would punch a fcking awesome hole in the scenery with me behind it's wheel! oh the humanity.

let's get troy in here and we'll go thirdsies in the viper. rock paper scissors decides who drives it first... :unsure:

Friggin quote thing again

yeah but the thing is people know what the classes are. so if earlier FD RX7s are eligible for EM but late series 7/8 FD's are only allowed in M due to their build date then the easy solution is don't buy the late model car.

Series 6 run in cat 7, supposedly,:D S7 (poor things, with no perceptible advantage) and 8 cat 8, moderns in cat 9.

yeah the S8s do have better turbos that last a lot longer too. easy enough to get 250kw out of one with the standard sequential twins and apart from a little drop off over a couple hundred rpm when the first one runs out of puff but before the second kicks in they make for a pretty decent power curve too.

There's mass confusion on this point, same turbos ran throughout, a couple of the sportier variations in the later years ran closer tolerance compressor housings and about 1.5psi more to generate a little extra in road trim....don't know whether the cars in question ran them either. Once the cars are tuned up to safe spec, the difference amounts to a mick hair from what I've seen, indeed, a lot of the Japanese tuning houses made a point of using the "old" style for their cars....even though the uprated spec are cheaper to buy new. 250 would be generous and a bit too dicey for 5 days, methinks, E85 maybe.....and then you'd need a bowser on arrowsmith somewhere, lol.

My understanding is 03 or 04 is the changeover now, which is after the production run....unless you upgrade yourself to run modern, but you'd have to double check.

Edited by 2pee

Wasnt aware of the change over date being any different from Dec 2002 from EM to M.

There is something in the regs about run on models but I cant be arsed reading them again. :)

Oh, and feeling the love Bris and Woo. One day you too may realise your talents dont stretch to driving a proper car and you too will succumb to the EMO.

Wasnt aware of the change over date being any different from Dec 2002 from EM to M.

There is something in the regs about run on models but I cant be arsed reading them again. :)

Oh, and feeling the love Bris and Woo. One day you too may realise your talents dont stretch to driving a proper car and you too will succumb to the EMO.

it's already happened. woo has been pestering me to do a dirty swap with him for my emo VI. as far as bris goes his talent doesn't stretch to a 3 legged billy goat but his enthusiasm carries him a looong way.

No swapping now Richo, the GTR is long gone (to Melbourne in fact).

Although, if Timmy and Elmo's whispers in my ear of building my HCR32 into a "Super GTS" don't take hold and make me spend heaps of money on a bloody 32 GTS, then I'm into an Emo 7 RS.

My talent extends about as far as my foul odour and internet talk gets me

There was a loop hole this year that saw two S8 run in Cat 7, it will be closed... but don't over think it, realistically there is stuff all difference between S8 and S6/7, particually as a prepared competition car.

My S6 had late model RS turbos on it and they let go on Day Four and the guys weren't pushing hard, although the car saw fair road and dyno tuning time, over 250kW (up to 18psi) so they were perhaps at the end of the life cycle by mid event due to what was being asked of them pre.

The best FD to still run would be the SP as they had the lowest weight (1218kg), the wing actually works and the bigger openings and in the front bumper and vented bonnet are all very handy for heat reduction, so that or if you didn't want to buy the aero kit and flash airbox and can manage the heat, an RZ as they were the next lightest being the only JDM two seater of the S6 at 1230kg... try and get 10% out of either of those!... in fact the base model is only 1260 and there isn't 126kg to find in one of those within the rules!

RX-7 and GTS-t are hard to beat for performance vs investment, but most people would admit that although the RX-7 has better mechanicals like stronger gearbox, diff and a better basic chassis, that the potential problematic engine means the GTS-t is the easier cost containing option.