SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

I'd be devastated if that was my car (way too much blood, sweat and tears in in...some of them mine), but the truth is it is cheap and easy to reshell these cars. Other than the shell pretty much everything Mark is running this year rolled down a hill 7 times.

Changeover cost for a new shell is less than $10k which is a drop in the ocean compared to some of these builds. I know of a full, uncomplied 33 GTR with running motor going for 12k...once you sell the motor it doesn't cost much.

Yeah it was a hard decision for us, but after alot of navel gazing we decided to reshell into an R32 because they are a bit lighter, smaller etc. The quote to fix our orange one was about $5.5k in labour plus parts and paint, so we figured we would be out of it for about $12k in total. Considering the cage ($10k cromoly job) and all running gear was fine, and its got full compliance etc, it was a tough decision..

By the time we found a good R32 shell and had it caged it owes us about the same, so still not sure if we did the right thing? We were despeartely trying to have it ready for Targa this year for my wife to run (Melinda Both, ran a pink WRX last year, 7th in early modern) , but didn't quite make it and pulled the pin a few weeks ago. She was pretty devastated and hoping to do even better this year, but after seeing the weather maybe not such a bad choice?

Anyway, the build continues and will be at Targa High Country for sure..

A couple of pics of the R32, hope I'm not getting too off topic here?

Paul

post-42431-1272713556_thumb.jpg

post-42431-1272713582_thumb.jpg

post-42431-1272713607_thumb.jpg

post-42431-1272713625_thumb.jpg

post-42431-1272713642_thumb.jpg

Paul, nice brakes!

Snowcone dropped some time today according to the live timing. Shame there aren't R34 shells as easily available as R32 shells!

snowies car will fix, tis a mear flesh wound. He's lucky, the rail didn't get touched, and sill panels are cheap.

Ayres car probably won't fix from what i've been told.

sitting at the end of the straugn stage, roads are wet

Well, sometimes it pays to get out of bed ...

12:56pm - Early Modern leader Gavin James, #736, has stopped at the start of the Tarraleah stage with mechanical problems.

Poor Tim and Gavin, but happy days for Smaug!

Beable out with a $0.10 fuse! No ABS, 4WD or Diff from the time when the car started in the morning. Couldn't hunt it down until a service, however as he couldn't get in front of the sweep car they will have received 20 minute penalties on two stages.

they will miss out on the 12 years in a row trophy which they were aiming for.

Stoopid fuses!!!!

Congrats to Snowball!