SAU Community

Rb20 Laggy

i have just finished doning the major service on my car and now it is very laggy and has no kick. Here are the mods after it was running good.

rb25 s1 turbo

cam gears - set at 0 degrees

cam belt

walbro 255l pump

computer has been reset but still problems. I know it should be retuned but i thought it would run better than this. Power flattens off at around 4500rpm. It feels like a cam tooth out but i have double checked.

i have checked it and everything lines up perfect. the belt is deff not the problem. Is there anything else that would cause a problem with ignition timing? another sensor. the cas is in right as i checked that the locating dowel is still there.

yes clipped it onto the looped wire on the back of the coil cover. do you need to eart out a wire or anything like that as i know you have to do things like that on other cars, have not done much work on skylines. it was originally an automatic and still has the same computer, ran fine before though. changed the clutch as well but cant see how that would effect it.

Edited by sneekypete

thought normally when checking timing, timing light sensor is usually clipped to the first cylinder, the one closest to the cam gears...probably makes no difference but yea, maybe?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• There are two. One with "intelligent key" (proximity key) and one without. https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/nissan-japan/stagea/pm35/6844-vq35de/body/998 Doesn't look like a shared item outside of V35 Skylines which may be handy if looking for a wreck. https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/d8700cg027 https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/d8700ac228
    • G35x should be a match. Not sure if the 2008+ items will be a direct fit as they might need the front axles also - much like when upgrading to 370z rear bearings, but the 2004+ should since they are the same chassis as our PNM35 Stagea. For what it's worth, I used replacement bearings from JustJap last year which need to be pressed onto the hub.
    • Point 1. If you want to do this and want to use that engine, just buy the whole Stagea. You will hate yourself less by getting everything on it all at once and then having to dispose of the stuff you don't want, compared to how much you will hate yourself if you miss buying something and it isn't there when you need it. If you can't afford to buy the whole wreck, then you can't afford to do the swap anyway. 1996 Stagea does NOT have a Neo. It is a version of the vanilla RB25. There is a bit of a halfway-house RB25 that was in Stageas at that time that kinda look like a Neo, in that they look like they have some Neo looking parts on them. But they are not Neo. They have hydraulic lifters and the same old bottom end as the vanilla 25. So, technically, putting that engine and its ECU into an R34 might be challenging. There might be some shenanigans with ABS communication, for example. I'm only guessing, because I've never contemplated messing around with stuff from that era. Sadly, you probably cannot Nistune the ECU (I haven't checked, but R33 era RB25s don't have a Nistune option because they have a stupid orphan ECU). So you will possibly end up contemplating an aftermarket ECU to get it working. You will DEFINiTELY want to take the Stagea's auto trans. The one in your car will die in very short order, especially if you turn the boost up at all. This is true even if you add a turbo to your existing stuff. Hence why I suggest buying the whole wreck.
    • Hey @sycotixwhere did you get the spark plugs replaced?  was that somewhere in Hoppers crossing too?   I’m planning to go to Backlash Automotive in Hoppers when my clovers come but if you found a decent garage on this side to do spark plugs, I’d be interested too.    PS: also been reading the drama with the car at the start. Glad you got that sorted 
    • I thought you were remarkably coherent and made the most of the inane questions you were given to work with. I love the thumbnail shot with dust blowing up from the diffuser.