SAU Community

My Big Day

AndyD

Ok so i got the call from Jason at kamikaze today compliance plates are here come pick her up. I didnt have to be told twice i was str8 up to the local train station (Castlemaine) for the vline to southern cross. Then connex to nunawading walked across the road from the station to the workshop how easy was that 2.5 hrs total trip and throthing at the mouth by time i got there. :D

So we go thru all the paperwork, sort out payments and then the keys are handed to me. Walked outside to the carpark and their she was in all her glory. I must have looked like a little kid on christmas morning judging by the look on jason's face. So we pop the bonnet and jason goes thru some stuff with me vin locations and compliance plate locations so i can point them out to vicroads tomorrow. Then he points out that the factory blow off valve is not connected and asks if i would him to hook it up b4 i take it. I said no cos on my previous visit i noticed a hks bov sitting underneath the induction pipe which he didn't see so all is good.

So i fire her up to let her warm up why i go thru the car looking at all the different switches and working out what the instruments do (yes im n00b 1st import and 1st turbo). So all good she's all warm the exhaust note was very quite which i was suprised at given the hks cat back system and the canon muffler on it. First thing i notice is no fuel (typical). So i fire up the gps find the nearest servo and head off. $99.96 later she's full of shell v-power and i start the 150 km drive home driving like an old lady. I noticed the auto seemed to be really tight and shifting pretty firmly at even light throttle. Later i found the trans cooler nestled between the radiator support panel some one has played with it and looked after it will have to get it inspected to find if it's been shift kitted.

Ok so my concern now is she going great im getting a little more comfortbale driving it so at the next set of lights i give it to her a little bit 3500rpm in 1st and absolutely shat my self when bov vented to atmosphere,me thinks plumback goin on very soon.

Boost comes on at about 2500rpm and pulls hard, So now im out on the highway just cruisin mindin my own business and as if every n00b in their SS or clubsport got a text to tell them where i was one after another they lined up wanting to race :) .

So they got sick of me not racing and i was byself once again doing about 90km in 100kmh i give it a little poke instant kickdown to 3rd gear and hit 4000rpm in flash then what i can only desribe as boost cut just complete loss of any momentum or pull doing about 100km so not speed cut. So anyway i start looking at this thing stuck to the side of the console it is a boost controller of some desription as per the photo's ive posted already, it has a high/low button so i switch to low and pull over to the emergancy lane and give it shit WOP revs to 5500rpm no problem but no where near the pull of the hi setting (but still enjoyable). So i figure out that the high setting must be hitting the boost cut on the ecu (awesome work japanese tuner guy) :D .

So anyway to remove the cut other than full ecu can you trick it somehow?

Ride was smooth with the tein coilovers firm but not bone shattering when hitting a bump quite inside and a pleasure to drive i am absolutely stoked i love my stagea.

One other problem i came up with while i was driving on the highway the check engine light came on for about 5 seconds then went off then about 30km later it came on again for about 5 secs then it didnt come on again all the way home any ideas on this?

Oh and the cd player didnt work no biggie but 2 hr drive with no tunes killed me. :D

Tomorrow we have an appointment with vicroads in bendigo so will have plates and have it's australian citizenship as of tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow b4 i clean it and then after then with new plates hopefully :(

engine check light may come on for a few reasons.

knock sensor warning

injector warning

airflow warning

cas fault

i think the cat temp sensor triggers it too.

bound to be a few more reasons.

if it wasn't under load it is unlikely it is knock, airflow or injector warnings. so maybe cat temp sensor or something left field like a loose connection to the CAS. a consult post or going manual by putting the car into diagnostic mode after the fault reappears might be the go. somewhere in the stickys is the method for diagnostic mode.

Oh just as a reference i found one second hand coilpack in the console as well, why they would only do one is beyond me so splitfires will be ordered as soon as my credit card recovers from the hit it has taken so far.

congrats mate..

check engine is most probably coilpacks breaking down.. mine did recently and it didnt feel like they were breaking down but that was the fault.. new set of splitfire 500 bucks. also get a boost gauge to see what your running... 50 to 100 bucks.. driving your stagea

pricless

Nice one Andy, glad your wrapped with it!

And best of luck tomorrow with the stag attaining its 'citizenship' =)

Citizenship was done today notice the big arse plates on the front they are so ugly compared to jap ones.

Thanx tangles has a few small issues which will be sorted out over the next few weeks new plugs to go in sunday as well as my strut brace that was taken off for compliance. Just gotta save some cash for coils and some type of management be it safc or piggy back undecided at this stage. Thanx for everyone's help and idea's over the last couple of weeks, looking forward to get it on the dyno.

Citizenship was done today notice the big arse plates on the front they are so ugly compared to jap ones.

Hey man, atleast yours are blue and white... matches the car!

AAAH- get rid of that mushroom filter STAT - :thumbsup: for some weird reason I hate them with a passion.

probably cause over time they get old and fall apart !

oh and - why not put some rear subframe bushes in ( ie pineapples ) i found they helped - car feels quicker off the line..

but thanks for the entertaining read :) its been a long time since we picked up the stag and your post reminded me of the day ours arrived!