SAU Community

howdy....gotta R34 4 door tiptronic with 4 gears and the exhaust note is soooo annoying on long trips....

wishing for a 5th gear....but that doenst seem to be helping....

so gonna throw on a new muffler/exh.....

any suggestions?

still want some grunt...but quiet enuff to keep the misus happy on trips to the coast.....

still got the standard factory muffler in the garage....anyone want it?

whats the best muff for grunt and cruising?

Check out some custom exhaust shops, depending on where you are based.

Hi Tech in darlinghurst, liverpool exhaust, some other places too.

You can eliminate most unwanted noise through resonators.

Just try to source a system that is 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch in diameter.

just get one of those exhaust butterflies installed after your cat...... my mate has one on his .... no mufflers.... and it shuts up to almost stock level.... its amazing.... they are illegal... but meh.... whos going to look..... worth a try

In my opinion - get a set of extractors, highflow cat and keep the stock rear muffler (apparently they have reasonably good flow and are fairly quiet - from memory it is claimed they have better flow than a WRX's muffler...). I have this setup in my car and I'm quite happy with it - Quiet at low revs once you reach above 4500rpm the sound is awesome, similar sounding to a BMW 6 cylinder - Automatics with loud exhausts at low revs don't sound great.

In my opinion - get a set of extractors, highflow cat and keep the stock rear muffler (apparently they have reasonably good flow and are fairly quiet - from memory it is claimed they have better flow than a WRX's muffler...). I have this setup in my car and I'm quite happy with it - Quiet at low revs once you reach above 4500rpm the sound is awesome, similar sounding to a BMW 6 cylinder - Automatics with loud exhausts at low revs don't sound great.

sounds pricey...but thats exactly what im after....low revs=low noise, high revs=grunt

so i should throw the original back on? kinda heavy.....

sounds pricey...but thats exactly what im after....low revs=low noise, high revs=grunt

so i should throw the original back on? kinda heavy.....

Yeah, the genuine item is heavy, but i suppose it is the cheapest option for low noise as you already have it in your possession. :D

The setup in my car was already in place when i bought it so I didn't spend anything. The other great thing is that the stock rear muffler will not attract any unwanted attention.

i not sure if the stock item would flow that well.......mayb get a turbo stock muffler that may do the trick for an N/A

Edited by rgr34

i not sure if the stock item would flow that well.......mayb get a turbo stock muffler that may do the trick for an N/A

I thought they were the same stock rear muffler between the turbo and N/A...... :S

sorry to hijack this thread...

just got a resonator installed on my exhaust system yesterday to reduce the noise. (down to 88db now :ermm: )

i had my doubts but after hearing it it was actually worth the money, a much cleaner note now imo, and its legal :P but one thing im not sure about, will it have reduced my power at all? i know that generally, the more mufflers etc you have on your exhaust, the more limiting it is...as it stands i have stock exhaust with the new resonator and a muffler, and a blitz exhaust tip that gives the throaty roar :thumbsup:.

eventually id probly wanna upgrade to a completely fresh system anyway, but for now this should suffice me...just wondering about it is all.

cheers

Flow and noise are directly related. If you want flow, scrap the muffler and get a straight pipe - but it'll be noisy as all buggery. A big fat muffler will kill the noise, but kill the flow too. Basically the more you have in between the engine and exhaust tip the quiter it'll be.

Turbo's get away with cannons and the like because the impeller wheel up close to the engine mutes a lot of noise, but NA's don't have that, so a turbo spec muffler will make the noise problem worse.

I thought they were the same stock rear muffler between the turbo and N/A...... :S

They're not the same. I have a stock N/A system and a stock turbo system and they are quite different in size.

I have yet to fit the turbo system but when I do I'll post up some picks and a bit of feedback. :domokun:

*edit*

I also have a Fujitsubo Legalis R cat-back system ( on my car at the moment ) and although it was a bit "$" it sounds awesome ! At idle it purrs, on cruise it's silent and when you get up it, it sounds like a BMW M3.

Might be worth considering since it sounds like exactly what you're after ( unless you're on a tight budget ).

Only reason I'm fitting the stock turbo system is to experiment. Don't know what I'll do if the stock turbo system turns out to be a winner :domokun:

OK so I finally got around to fitting the stock turbo system. Here's some pics to compare stock N/A to Turbo systems.

post-2420-1219480628_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219480649_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219480665_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219480683_thumb.jpg

Flow is good but sounds like crap. Same tinny sound all stock systems have. I think I'll be keepin the cat-back but might throw a different rear muffler on the stock turbo system and see how that sounds.

Anyway, here's some pics of the Fujitsubo system vs. the stock N/A system ( in case anyone's interested ).

post-2420-1219480963_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219480987_thumb.jpgpost-2420-1219481041_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219481063_thumb.jpg

Anyway, here's some pics of the Fujitsubo system vs. the stock N/A system ( in case anyone's interested ).

post-2420-1219480963_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219480987_thumb.jpgpost-2420-1219481041_thumb.jpg post-2420-1219481063_thumb.jpg

have you got a sound clip of the fujitsubo? it looks a TON more free flowing than the stock, right down to the tips lol. would love to hear it.

Edited by G0DZLR