SAU Community

Purchacing A Skyline

if its got less than 100,000k on the clock have a look at the moto to see if its got a 100,000k service sticker, if its got the sticker pretty much means the clock been put back, for alot of r32,r33 gtst this is the case, i went to one import shop and they had 4 r33 that were like this, one had a 190,000k service sticker on it and the clock said 85,000. :cool:

Hey, im looking at purchacing a skyline and wanted to know what are some common problems to look out for and whats the best workshop to get a car looked at before i buy it? Thanks for your help

Hi Nick,

Certain idiosyncrasies exist (besides being vigilant for rust, any damage that hasn't been repaired properly, service history etc) whether it's an R32, R33 or R34. Which one?

To better answer your 2nd Q, just wondering what city u r in? Your Profile says 'Location Unknown'.

Regards, T

Hi Nick,

Certain idiosyncrasies exist (besides being vigilant for rust, any damage that hasn't been repaired properly, service history etc) whether it's an R32, R33 or R34. Which one?

To better answer your 2nd Q, just wondering what city u r in? Your Profile says 'Location Unknown'.

Regards, T

im looking at a r33 gtst and im in perth.

the post previously said about a sticker saying th kms just wondering where that sticker is usually put? its not the service sticker is it?

Hi Nick,

I believe that Quinny is cautioning you about a sticker on the block or thereabouts that would confirm that the timing belt has been changed &/or other things.

The previous owner if in Oz should have the Kms travelled according to the odometer at the rego inspection certicate to act as a progress marker.

Wear and tear on the bolsters and carpet + sun damage to the steering wheel are also markers.

If the car has been in Japan all this time, extra care has to be taken looking for rust in the undercarriage as well as hinges, body panels, around window seals because Japan has acid rain in Honshu as well as parts of Kyushu Islands combined with salt. But even in Perth, if you live anywhere near the sea, you'll get salt from the Fremantle Dr. Rust on Skylines ain't as bad as Alfas before the 90s but your investment is worth checking over. Look at the owner's body language as you ask him if he'll let you put the car up on a hoist.

On inspection, take >1 mechanic with you (to go through your pre-planned checklist) as you check for rust, oil leaks/seepage, sludge under/around the oil-fill opening, previous damage & bad repairs, air cond, electric windows, heater, windscreen chips, unevenly worn tyres, lights. If you detect damage, ask for his insurance company on that car so that a check can be done (on claims) with his permission. Also check for scratched paint on the corners of panel bolts around the engine.

Personally, I can't think of many things to specifically look for on a R33 GTsT, but hey, you'll pick up 100s of messages through the seat and steering wheel after you then start the engine.

Happy Searching!

T

if its got less than 100,000k on the clock have a look at the moto to see if its got a 100,000k service sticker, if its got the sticker pretty much means the clock been put back, for alot of r32,r33 gtst this is the case, i went to one import shop and they had 4 r33 that were like this, one had a 190,000k service sticker on it and the clock said 85,000. :cool:

JEVIC!

Check this link out, be better if more imports had this inspection, save alot of head aches for people before they lay there hard earned cash out on the table.

I have all my car inspected before they leave Japan.

http://www.jevic.co.jp/jevic_english/inspe...ces/index4.html

Edited by OzCarImports

Yup thats it when the timing belt was change

im looking at a r33 gtst and im in perth.

the post previously said about a sticker saying th kms just wondering where that sticker is usually put? its not the service sticker is it?

post-47818-1217657766_thumb.jpg

Yup thats it when the timing belt was change

will the sticker have something written on it to indicate its been changed? or have to have something to be marked off? cos mine has it, but my odo is only at 88xxxkms

will the sticker have something written on it to indicate its been changed? or have to have something to be marked off? cos mine has it, but my odo is only at 88xxxkms

urs has the 100000 timeing belt sticker?

yup! could it be my belts were changed before the 100,000k service, or has my odo been wound back...

I was under the impression the sticker was there to remind you to get the timing belt changed at 100k and then when its done its ither replaced with a new sticker or they write on the existing sticker what kms the belt was changed. Wheres the best workshop to get the car checked? And roughly how much is it?

yup! could it be my belts were changed before the 100,000k service, or has my odo been wound back...

Just as Quinny above has said, it looks as if the odo has been wound back if

i) the sticker says that the timing belt has been changed already and

ii) you're the 1st Australian owner or

But then again, perhaps the oil pump's been changed!

It's recommended to change the timing belt if the oil pump has had it.

But if you're the >2nd Aussie owner, it may be that the previous owner changed it anyway through caution or the oil pump's been changed

The 100,000.00 service would be a KM or date service correct? Like most cars its whatever comes first. I know my GFs civic has had one of its major services (i think 50k service) and its barely cracked 30. Just the way it goes if you wanna keep your warranty