SAU Community

Dodgey Roads in VIC - Help save a brother/sisters wheels/bar/suspension

inark

Alright... after almost destroying my gfs front vertex bar and left front wheel today i thought i might post up and encourage others to post up areas in which parts of the road can be dangerous to go over in "modified" cars or any other car for that matter.

DO NOT SPAM/WHORE THIS THREAD OR U WILL BE PUT IN THE PIT WITH MONKEY FOR A WEEK. and u dont want that :D So keep it on topic.

Area: St.Kilda

At the lights turning left there is a massive pothole/missing section of Rd.

Area: Elsternwick

Location: Intersection of Nepean Hwy & Glenhuntly Rd both ways down Nepean Hwy. Where the tracks are when crossing the Rd it dips... lowered cars with soft suspension make sure you are doing under the speed limit at that point 60k or less.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one,

Area: Burwood East

Location: Coming up from Middleborough Rd over Burwood Hwy. Because of the trams track the road goes up and down like speed humps. Speeding in low cars will cause damage.

Area: Malvern

Location: On Malvern Rd, intersection with Orrong. Few large pot holes between trams tracks. Take the left lane and cut back across as there are usually parked cars.

Area: Mulgrave

Springvale rd comming from Mulgrave towards Glen Waverley, the middle and right lanes have some scuffed road, nothing major but in the wet travelling 80 (the speed limit) i lost a tad of traction, could be dangerous i suppose and when dry you can feel the suspension doesnt like it at all

Area: Sandringham

Danger Danger: That angle on the exit is way scrapey.. expect to shave a few mm off your front bar even if your car isn't that low ;)

Area: Ashburton

Danger Danger: If you're car is fairly low you'll scrape badly turning out, and its really hard to get the right angle to swing out as its very narrow.

p.s. what sort of entertainment does munky provide in the pits?

Area: Mt Waverly, near train station

Location: traffic lights exit from shops next to station, that drives onto Wairmarie Drive, crossing Stephensons road.

Problem: Deceptive dip out of shops when turning right to head south onto Stephensons road, if you have a low front, don't do more than 8km/h out of there! You can't notice it at night and the angle doesnt look too bad in the day, but the dip to the other side of the road was bad enough for me to cause some bad front scrapage and sparks :-0

Originally posted by predator666

Danger Danger: That angle on the exit is way scrapey.. expect to shave a few mm off your front bar even if your car isn't that low :)  

Which one specifcally gordy?? There are 2 bad ones at Sandringham Hotel (thursday nite karaoke :)) One is pratically opposite Hobsons Restaurant, i think it's called Melrose St. And the even WORSE one is the one right at the intersection of Beach rd. I have a pulsar hatch and still go slowly in/out the beach rd one. I can't imagine ANY Skyline getting up or down that bit.

ok, in proper format

Danger: Entry/Exit at Beach Rd intersetiong. Entry/Exit on Melrose St.

If u'r near there on a Thursday nite, pop in a say hi, i'll most prob be there! :) Live 5 min walk from Sandringham Hotel, or 'The Sandy' to us locals.

Danger: Speed bumps are NOT drive overable unless you have a X5, etc. I have NO IDEA how the 360 Modena's, etc get in there.

Tip: Just go AROUND the bumps, if no cars are trying to get out. Once again, i try to avoid them in my pulsar, pls don't attempt in ur nice cars.

cheers.

Area: Carlton

Danger: Lots and LOTS of bumps its terrible especially with Teins :) no danger to front bars that i know of. oh and their are arseholes driving down there who stick up your arse because they think they is de shitzen

Area: Narre Warren

Danger: It's that bad - try to avoid at all costs - even going over it in my gf's car (pulsar 2000) at walking pace does not do the suspension that well.

Cheers,

C.

Ooh, and another one,

Area: Hallam

Location: Round-A-Bout on Frawly Rd - near Shops/High School.

Danger: Big-Arse Dip in the middle of the roundabout - section of road missing. Went through it today (by accident) on my lunch break.

C.

Area: Caulfield

Danger: Possibly one of the bumpiest roads in Melbourne, its as if the road is wavy rather than straight. Avoid in all cars particularly with hard suspension.

Area: Elwood

Danger: Massive ford (the river crossing, not the sh*tbox) halfway down the road. Has to be seen to be believed but not recommended unless in a 4wd (or trying to piss a mate off - do it at night)

Area: Richmond

Location: Victoria St past the overpass N. Richmond railway station.

Danger: deep hole in the left lane.

Solution: Off peak hours, drive on the tram lane. Peak hours (Clearway) with tram approaching, drive left very close to the sidewalk (don't scratch your rim) to avoid hitting it, or wait till tram pass then steal half of the tram lane and the hole will be between your wheels.

Area: Fairfield

Danger: Horrible uneven surface, some parts look like concrete slab poking out of the tarmac where it meets the rail.

Solution: Drive very slowly, or very close to the left so you drive the less severe part of that protuding concrete road slab.

Area: Preston

Danger: Deep hole on entry to the closest parking aisle to Coles

Solution: Watch carefully when you turn here to get into the aisle or just avoid it at all and park at least the second aisle away from Coles. Sometimes it is marked with a yellow circle, but don't count on it (get washed off by rain)

Area: East Bentleigh

Location: Boundary Hotel/PUB/BAR etc on East Boundary Rd & Center Rd

Going in and out of the car park. Getting in isnt so bad in a low car... getting out on the other hand is a different story. If you have to go there park on the street somewhere, the IGA car park a few mins walk away :P

Area: Caulfield

location: Exits of Coles car park infront of Monash university, if you want to at least lose the front bumper this is a must, even if your car is not lowered its guaranteed to scrape the exhaust

Area: Caulfield / Elsternwick

Location: there are plenty but one driveway to look out for in particualr is the Orrong road entry to COLES, even STOCK ride height cars have trouble :) Go around the other side off glenhuntly road or as the opposite entrance there is fine. Otherwise just park on Orrong rd or G/huntly rd.

This will go on forever as there are so many 'hazards' - good idea though :(

EDIT** not the same COLES as skyline33's post but I also agree with him :)