SAU Community

Dodgey Roads in VIC - Help save a brother/sisters wheels/bar/suspension

inark

Area Maribyrnong:

Gordon St/Van Ness Av

Heading North, right hand lane through the bend just before the roundabout to turn up towards the shopping centre. A dip then rise, enough to raise the front wheels of the MR2 clear of the road at about 80km (yes I was speeding but that's no the point). Felt like I hit something and you will not see it.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Area: Melbourne/North Melb

Road is full of bumps and huge gaping holes, an absolute prick for any low car. Hit my front bar (stock ride height) a few times going about 60kph.

• 4 months later...

Area: Glen Waverley

Danger: Deceptively "low-looking" entrance hump, I tried getting up this and almost smacked up my stock height front bar!!!

Solution: Use the other carparks!

Area: Carlton

Location: Approaching the lygon st intersection from the eastern freeway, next to the Melbourne Cemetery.

Danger: Extremely poor roads, your front bar will probably survive but your suspension will take a beating.

Solution: Drive slowly with caution, even if traffic is banking up behind you!

Area: ormond

Danger: The Entrances are ok, in the carpark itself the bitchmen has a little ramp on the building side of the carpark. It is deceptive and will give your front bar a good scrape

Solution: Take it easy

Area: Carlton

Location: Approaching the lygon st intersection from the eastern freeway, next to the Melbourne Cemetery.

Danger: Extremely poor roads, your front bar will probably survive but your suspension will take a beating.

Solution: Drive slowly with caution, even if traffic is banking up behind you!

Also, same location heading outbound - watch out that you don't end up in the outside lane due to "the ramp" of road just as you're exiting the corner.

Area: East Melbourne

Location: Right lane heading east on Victoria Parade. Around Exhibition St/Latrobe St area.

Danger: Pavement on the right side of this lane is cracked and raised considerably. Have slammed my suspension on this one a number of times.

Solution: Stay out of the right lane. :rolleyes:

Also, same location heading outbound - watch out that you don't end up in the outside lane due to "the ramp" of road just as you're exiting the corner.

hehe, funny thing is, I always forget and take the right lane when leaving uni. Then I approach the intersection and it's like "Oh FARRRRK....."

Area: Glen Waverley

Danger: Deceptively "low-looking" entrance hump, I tried getting up this and almost smacked up my stock height front bar!!!

Solution: Use the other carparks!

is this the one behind mocha joe's? theres a few one way lanes behind there, and my front bar got stuck going down of one of the enterance humps, girlfriend had to pull my front bar upwards, one way so just scraped it slowly for 2 long minutes... and i didn't even get a spot there. also beware those carparks near the RSL at night, my friend's type-r rear wiper was broken off and stolen and another friend's s13 got broken into, bonnet opened and they cut all the wires coming from the engine bay fuse box. car sat there for months.

• 2 months later...

"oh farrrrrrrrk" sounds familiar..

Area: Preston

Preston McDonalds

They now have a speed bump installed at the end of their drive-through.. it is extremely hard to navigate over it without scraping the shite out of my exhaust. You either don't go through the drivethrough, or drive to the left side as much as possible even if McDonalds bintys have to lean right out the window.. Also don't go there at late hours on the weekends.. anytime from like 12 onwards.. theres commodores with oversized cromies, burnouts, skanky ho's and the like hanging out.. it'll make you want to vomit - seeing how so much money, can be spent so badly..

Area: Preston

Bell St Intersection with Gilbert Rd - heading to Tullamarine up Bell St

SLOW DOWN! Tram tracks dip quite considerably in the middle of the intersection, and it wouldn't be the first time we've badly scraped the front bar of the 32 on it..

Area: Reservoir.. ish/Thomastown

Cheddar/Dalton Rd - heading back to Reservoir station

fixedeeeeeeeeed.

Area: Beaumaris

Details: Southern end, at the intersection with Balcombe Rd, in the southbound lane. Just before you turn ther is a BIG sink hole, they're already filled it once, and it all sunk in AGAIN.

Area: Mentone

Details: Heading from the round-about through the shops, immediately after the pedestrian crossing there is man-hole sunk in the surrounding road, keep well left and avoid the temptation to cut in to the turn lane and it should pass safely under the centre of your car.

The aforementioned Mentone Bunnings is a killer, come in the same entrance to the service road but avoid the first driveway into the carpark and head the next one 50-100 metres along.

• 3 weeks later...

Area: South Melbourne

Details: Coming off the Tullamarine FWY onto Kings Way FWY just before it splits to either Lorimer St Exit or if you contine striaight you go left to Kings St/Kings Way or straight ahead in the Burnley Tunnel. If you are in the most leftest (is that a word?) lane excluding the two lanes from Lorimer st the road markings for the two left lanes merge into one lane at the last minute just before the road gets splits up. There doesn't appear to be any warning and the lines just merge into one so effectively one lane vanishes and another gets created. This confuses most drivers so they proceed to brake a lot and some come to crawl speed as they are confused by the line markings and trying to predict traffic travelling at 100km/h. If you simply ignore the line markings and just drive straight the lane continues on, just the markings are confusing and make it more complicated that it needs to be.

Not really a "bad road" just some non userfriendly markings on the road

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

area: clayton?

on princess hwy after clayton maccaz towards ciry, small section has been worn quite badly (top ashfelt degraded by 1inch?) possibly due to trucks etc. try and avoid it.

acrea: caulfield

cnr of Glenferry Rd and princess Hwy towards the city. the culprit is the tram tracks, remember to slow down serverly or else the tram tracks will give your rides suspension a good ass whooping, n it dont feel too good in a low rider as well