SAU Community

R33 Missfire - Please Help!

Bennett

But gapping spark plugs is just a temporary solution to the problem isnt it? If reducing the gap between the plugs fixes the problem then that means the coils arent giving enough spark and are on their way out.

To me this problem only happens when i hit about 5000rpm, up untill then the car is normal and feels good. I only sometimes very rarely get a small missfire at 1500rpm. I think im gona just get new coilpacks. Has anyone got the JJR coilpacks and are they any good? Or should i just go for the splitfire ones?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Da spike - Gapping isnt a temporary fix. There is a certain gap that the spark needs to be able to jump accross. If you have to keep gapping them smaller and smaller then yeah coilpacks are getting worse. I would try taping them with electrical take to see if it fixes your problem and if it does, save for splitfires to replace the taped ones.

Made myself a coilpack loom today with some wire and plugs. Then put the stock coilpacks in and now its gone back to how it used to be... small annoying missfires. Although my plugs are still at 1.1 from the haltechs so ill put .8's in tommorrow and will just have to put up with a few missfires at higher boost till i sort out why the haltechs werent working properly.

But i mean my car was fine a few months ago, it wasnt missfiring at all, it was running smooth - as the car was completely stock at that time.

Now its running higher boost due to mods and if this requires you to gap the spark plugs to .8 instead of 1.1 then doesnt that mean the coilpack isnt giving enough power for the sparkplug to make the spark?

Because it always happends about 5000rpm thats probably peak boost and maximum power, I think when that happens the coils shit them selves or at least one cause they cant give enough power to the sparkplug.

Anyways keep us updated on what happens with ur car.

I will try taping up the coilpacks with electrical tape and gap the plugs to .8 and see if that does anything before buying splitfires.

Edited by da spike

But i mean my car was fine a few months ago, it wasnt missfiring at all, it was running smooth - as the car was completely stock at that time.

Now its running higher boost due to mods and if this requires you to gap the spark plugs to .8 instead of 1.1 then doesnt that mean the coilpack isnt giving enough power for the sparkplug to make the spark?

Because it always happends about 5000rpm thats probably peak boost and maximum power, I think when that happens the coils shit them selves or at least one cause they cant give enough power to the sparkplug.

Anyways keep us updated on what happens with ur car.

I will try taping up the coilpacks with electrical tape and gap the plugs to .8 and see if that does anything before buying splitfires.

That happens a lot to skylines. When people install front mount intercoolers and turn up the boost etc the spark is no longer strong enough to jump the gap. You can tape the coilpacks or buy new ones so that the spark cant "arc out" and make sure it jumps the gap to the spark plug tip. Or you can gap the plugs so that the spark doesnt need to jump as far and is therefore less likely to missfire. I would tape coilpacks and buy new cheap copper plugs gapped to .8mm and see what happens.

Tapping up coil packs only mask's the arcing problem for a few weeks / month at the most, but it soon returns. As with gapping plugs down to .8. You need to fix the problem itself not just try to cover it up.

I'm running splitfire coils, Iridium plugs gapped at 1.1, running 13 psi on stock engine with no problems at all. :)

Tapping up coil packs only mask's the arcing problem for a few weeks / month at the most, but it soon returns. As with gapping plugs down to .8. You need to fix the problem itself not just try to cover it up.

I'm running splitfire coils, Iridium plugs gapped at 1.1, running 13 psi on stock engine with no problems at all. :)

Thats why you tape the coilpacks and if it fixes the problem, you buy splitfires. Better than buying splitfires first and finding out that your coilpacks werent actually the problem.

As I said before... Gapping the plugs IS a bandaid soltuion. If you can't run 1.1 plugs and have only slightly increased boost, installed intercooler etc than there is a bigger problem which is most likely going to be your coilpacks.

So yes Da Spike your coil packs are probably stuffed. I know a lot of people on here suggest taping them and seeing if this fixes it. Sure its a good idea which may end in you KNOWING the problem is the coil packs but at the same time if it does not fix the problem do not rule out stuffed coil packs. Putting electrical tape on them isnt exactly "the best way" to test if they are stuffed.

Saying that, if you do tape them and notice the missfire/slight stutter on boost goes away get yourself some new coil packs.

I just want to make it clear as I went through the same problem- gapping to 8mm is not the solution on a stockish car. You should be able to buy Nissan Iridaums 1.1's (sure they are expensive but they last 4 times as long)

Edited by gunmetalgrey

I just want to make it clear as I went through the same problem- gapping to 8mm is not the solution on a stockish car. You should be able to buy Nissan Iridaums 1.1's (sure they are expensive but they last 4 times as long)

I bought NGK Irridium sparks plugs and they were gapped to 1.1 just recently and the missfire is still there, i read somewhere that gapping irridium plugs is not good.

Edited by da spike

you will need new coilpacks, thats why the missfire is still there. Do the taping thing to see if that "temp" fixes it while running your 1.1 plugs. If it stop the missfire your problem is stuffed coil packs...

Exactly right. :P

Last night the car was running really good, i havent changed anything yet. It missfired like once at 5000rpm and then nice boost all the way to redline. Dam it felt fast lol.

I also noticed if the car is a little cold it doesnt missfire aswell!?

Lol yeah mine was a bit like that too. Kept missfiring then it would go away and i could rev to redline. f**ked coilpacks and dirty / wrong gap plugs can cause the missfire to be a bit intermittent. I made a coilpack loom, taped stock coilpacks, put them back in with brand new plugs gapped to .8mm and now its running fine so just going tobuy some splitfires now i guess and see if i can run 1.1mm gap with those.

Lol yeah mine was a bit like that too. Kept missfiring then it would go away and i could rev to redline. f**ked coilpacks and dirty / wrong gap plugs can cause the missfire to be a bit intermittent. I made a coilpack loom, taped stock coilpacks, put them back in with brand new plugs gapped to .8mm and now its running fine so just going tobuy some splitfires now i guess and see if i can run 1.1mm gap with those.

Glad to hear you've identified the problem, upgrading coils is certainly worthwhile if you're planning on running higher boost but if you're running stock boost etc you can simply fix the stock coils. Pull them out and if you look hard you'll spot a few hairline cracks. Clean them up and araldyte (or other epoxy resin glue) all the seams/joins on all your coils and save yourself $500. Mine have been fine since I did this 2-3 years ago. Happy driving!

Glad to hear you've identified the problem, upgrading coils is certainly worthwhile if you're planning on running higher boost but if you're running stock boost etc you can simply fix the stock coils. Pull them out and if you look hard you'll spot a few hairline cracks. Clean them up and araldyte (or other epoxy resin glue) all the seams/joins on all your coils and save yourself $500. Mine have been fine since I did this 2-3 years ago. Happy driving!

Thanks Datman i have looked at all the threads on fixing coilpacks. But as im hopefully going to be running 20psi through something soon (not stock turbo) i think ill have to get the splitfires to handle it. :nyaanyaa:

• 2 weeks later...

Iv'e a similar story as Iv'e had this problem for little under 6months.

It first happened when I put my FMIC in, since then I ALWAYS have a missfire at 50000rpm when I push the accelerator around half way. I took out all the coil packs and figured out that I had a tiny crack in one of them. So I bought 6 standard ones. I then realised that my car is a series 1.5 r33 and that I needed series 2 coils.. ARGHHH

So I bought 2 standard series 2 coils and placed one of them where the cracked one was andd..... still same problem.

I guess I just have to buy some splitfires... $500 later lol.

But honestly this thread has given me some answers, hopefully it will get me some results. :P

Where is the cheapest place to get splitfires?

Nengun have them but are too expensive for shipping. Just Jap have them for $535. Anywhere else I can have a look. Im looking at buying them on sunday.

Thanks, if that's the going rate I'll just get em from Just Jap on the weekend.

Im going to be at my mates workshop to finish off my exhaust (front pipe), which is close to Just Jap anyways.