SAU Community

Replacing R32 Engine And Gearbox Mounts

fr0st

I'm on a mission to replace engine and gearbox mounts as a part of a religious experience also known as removing a yellow sticker.

The engine should be easy...

Undo engine mount bolts

Attach engine crane to engine to take the weight

Lower cross member and replace mounts

The gearbox I'm not 100% on and it's also an RB25 box. I was thinking of whilst I have the engine mounts out, undo the gearbox mount and lower the engine slightly with the crane so the gearbox mount can be removed.

Does that sound right or is there a better way?

for gearbox mount, once the engine mounts re back in, put a jack under rear of the gearbox. then undo the 4 bolts holding the crossmember on, and then the 4 bolts holding the cross member to the gearbox mount. then undo the 4 bolts for gearbox to gearbox mount. very straight forward.

and as the manual says, installation is the reverse of assembly!

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, is it possible to do the engine mounts with-out an engine hoist; i.e. is it possible to jack the engine up from below - is there anywhere on the engine that would allow you to do this, for example at the bottom of the bell housing?

Hi guys, is it possible to do the engine mounts with-out an engine hoist; i.e. is it possible to jack the engine up from below - is there anywhere on the engine that would allow you to do this, for example at the bottom of the bell housing?

if you jack it up from the engine it will just piovot on the mounts and stuff your radiator etc. before it lifts up,

you could try putting a block of wood under the sump will need to be fairly chunky so it doesn't damage the sump though. best advice would be hire a crane for a couple of hours

jason

• 1 year later...