SAU Community

Blown Turbo Lil Help

Inline 6

words cannot begin to describe how upset I am right now. I’m sure some of you have noted how much I love this car n to have it lifeless in the garage is seriously not good for my health.

I’ll try to keep it constructive here but im just gonna throw in a quick f*#$King sh*t f*ck ok now onto the topic

was running at the track, giving my car what I would call semi race pace abuse revving it to about 6-7 through 1st to 3 about 3 times in a row and braking with the gears. So it was not hot or cooked would have been max 2min probably 1 min of abuse and the car was fully warmed up.

was going good sounded fine till I went to get wheel spin and as I dumped the clutch the car lost all power like instantly. I thought it was stalled but it was still running just didn’t want to go anywhere.

I let go of the accelerator n put it in 1st and it was going but sounded pretty sh*t. it was going a lot slower than usual but it when it got up to 3k then just wouldn’t budge from there just held dead on 3k with my foot flat.

I put it in neutral and it was revving up all the way up higher and sounding okish i could hear some turbo action but still not quite 100% right,

Then when I put it in gear it wouldn’t rev over 3k in 1st or 2nd and was going very slow up to 3k. I also noticed the oil pressure top right dial dropped a lil. I checked the oil when I got home n it was still just a touch under full. note 3k would be where the car begins boosting.

Knowing it was f*cked I drove it like this maybe half a k nursing it back off the track just at lowest possible revs in 2nd then let it idle for a bit while we were listening for where the trouble was coming from. Sounded like front right turbo central ready to claim your wallet Dan.

my dad reckons I’ve blown a the bearing in the turbo

Any thoughts on possible probs? pretty confident those turbs are gone :D just hope the engine is ok i hear you can damage that also driving with blown turbo's.

the guy I bought it off said they were steel wheels so I was under the impression they should have been in reasonable condition however maybe he was just talking sh*t

Also if it is the turbo's what options are there? How much ruffly to rebuild etc?

I dont really give a sh*t about upping the power (used to drive a dato for 5years) n i kinda liked it being stock but I hear Nissan turbs are very expensive (just got quoted 5.5k for R33 GTR N1 turbs) and better 1s can be had for cheaper

Most important thing for me is reliability, second torque I like being able to pull away without really trying in the wrong gear etc so some crazy big turbos are a no

Also changing the turbos I’m guessing is defectable but could they tell the diff at regency if I still use stock piping? I'm sure no patrol car could tell unless they gigantic n chrome

574words was a lot harder getting that many out of the assignments I just wrote.

Edited by Inline 6

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

didnt really notice, it wouldnt have been dumping much when we had it idling otherwise i woulda noticed.

yeah was pretty weird it like didnt even seem in the least bit interested in even trying to budge over 3k.

i take it when a turb normally blows u can still rev it up high it just wont get on boost n jus sounds poo?

i noticed the boost guage flowing up n down on the negetive side like norm and getting up to 0 when i was flat footing it at 3k.

Edited by Inline 6

didnt really notice, it wouldnt have been dumping much when we had it idling otherwise i woulda noticed.

yeah was pretty weird it like didnt even seem in the least bit interested in even trying to budge over 3k.

i take it when a turb normally blows u can still rev it up high it just wont get on boost n jus sounds poo?

i noticed the boost guage flowing up n down on the negetive side like norm and getting up to 0 when i was flat footing it at 3k.

Yep you've definately monged the turbo somehow. From the description u werent giving the car much shit (aside from tracking it) and so it'd have taken a lot longer for a steel turbo to get really hot... either a dodgy turbo has just gone or the guy was lying and u only have ceramics....cause if u got ceramics and theyve shattered, the parts of the turbine can end up in the engine...

Ryan from ISC has quoted me $2.6k for two garrett 2760-7's which are a good replacement turbo and can handle a fair amount of boost... good for up to 300kw, maybe a tad more

take it to a mechanic asap to get it on the hoist and pop the turbos out... then you'll know for sure... N1 r32 turbos can be gotten for $1200 for a pair sometimes but I haven't seen any around recently. Best bet is either the garretts or the HKS GT-SS for the price..

yr other option is to get the turbos rebuilt which will cost u up to a grand per turbo...when the turbo blows, it wont come on boost as it needs the intake turbine to spool up and push more air into the engine, which isnt happening by the sounds. Im no expert tho, and u should definately take it to a good mechanic (Like Road & Track, details in sig).

Best of luck with that, its not hard to replace turbos but its expensive. And lets hope u didnt have ceramic turbos and they didnt shatter.

-D

Dan, not fantastic to hear. Definately get those turbos out to have a look at them, youll be able to tell straight away. Just thinking, you haven't cracked or popped off any intake piping at all have you?

Dan, not fantastic to hear. Definately get those turbos out to have a look at them, youll be able to tell straight away. Just thinking, you haven't cracked or popped off any intake piping at all have you?

that could be it, maybe if youre lucky... i popped intake piping and thought i'd blown my turbo! only had to get a new clamp which was good! best of luck!

this happened to me once while thrashing thru the hills. freaked me out a bit as it was only a week after i put a new turbo on. the car was loud as and didnt boost after 3000rpm or there abouts. no turbo spool noise. it would try to make boost then drop off straight away..

u know what it was..

the lil clip for the actuator fell off and the wastegate was stuck open.

so sus that out if u can reach it. check the actuator arm is still connected.

oh and i dont reckon u have blown ur turbo. u would defiantly know. trust me ive done it. right before it happens it will sound like theres air pissing out from somewhere and squiling noise. then u will hear crunch crunch of the blades griding the housing. very obvious. that and a f**k load of oil out ur exhaust.

but like i said. make sure the actuator is working correctly and is connected.

Edited by steveP

Before you got resetting to ECU get the error codes out of it. Definitely sounds like the car dropped in to limp-home mode for some reason. It could be as simple as a dodgy sensor wire connection.

Yeah sounds like you have popped off an intercooler hose - my car did the identical thing you have described, and all that had happened was a cooler pipe had come loose and popped its clamp.

A blown turbo will almost always result in shitloads of white smoke coming out your exhaust, or so I have heard.

Yeah sounds like you have popped off an intercooler hose - my car did the identical thing you have described, and all that had happened was a cooler pipe had come loose and popped its clamp.

A blown turbo will almost always result in shitloads of white smoke coming out your exhaust, or so I have heard.

we did see a lil white smoke nothing crazy though, was thinking it may have been from the tiny wheelspin it did do but apparently there was a lil bit coming outa there on the way back. definately no loud crunching from turbo, had the window down slightly n no music on so woulda heard if it did.

just to make it clear its not it wasnt boosting over 3k. the car litrally could not get above 3k revs foot flat and was sitting on the 3k like that was the limiter.

was that what you had nightcrawler?

the rev limiter actually has been upped 500rpm in mine maybe that went wonky hmmmms. good food for thought there guys always count on sau for help :P

im gonna spend some quality time saturday underneath the car im no mechanic but im sure i can spot a hose hanging off.

good you coming up with simple effective fixes luke :P damn modifying addict

Edited by Inline 6

yeah mate same sort of thing - but because I only have 1 afm, the car would stall too when I tried to rev. Just check over your pipework and it will soon be very obvious if you have a leak. And run the car and stick your head inside the engine bay while revving - you will hear it blowing/hissing.

Before you got resetting to ECU get the error codes out of it.

how you get error codes out of it? work shop gota do that?

n sled i thought all gtr's like to run rich to keep you spending all your money on them instead of women and to ensure broke ass people cant afford them or to turn you into 1 :P

grease monkey shit kicker clothes here we come :P

Edited by Inline 6