SAU Community

Problem With Lights

da spike

Hi,

I got a problem with my lights, when i turn on the low beams they work fine but when i then switch to high beam the low beams turn off and high beams come on. And this should not happen, both the low beam and the high beams should be on when u turn on highbeams? I only found this out when i went to get a pink slip and they wouldnt pass me cause of this....I tried to make it out that Japanese imports do this kind of stuff lol but that story didnt work...

Could this be a problem with the light switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

by the way the car is a R33 S2.

This is standard on ALL R33 Skylines - you only have two lights on at any time.

It is not a legal requirement that you have four lights on when high beam is on and if they try to tell you differently then go to another garage that knows their stuff.

Far out, i payed the guy $150 deposit to say that i would book a visit for him to fix it... thats the only way he would let me pass pink slip... How can I prove to him that ALL skylines do this, or some kind of regulation that says u dont need 4 lights on when high beaming.

Thanks for the replies fellas

Ah how bout the fact that people have melted the headlights from running highs and lows at the same time. Then NONE of the lights will work...

And 150 is crap. Do you get that money back if you take the car to him, cos 150 is way too much to wire ur headlights up like he has said. Takes all of 5 mins..

Ah how bout the fact that people have melted the headlights from running highs and lows at the same time. Then NONE of the lights will work...

And 150 is crap. Do you get that money back if you take the car to him, cos 150 is way too much to wire ur headlights up like he has said. Takes all of 5 mins..

I'll go back to him and ask for my money, but he seems to think that all cars need to have all 4 lights on when highbeaming, as in both lowbeam and highbeam on at the same time. On the pinkslip he failed me on rule 106.02 - "Headlight (high/low beam) now working or damaged"

Hmm. Im not sure exactly of that rule but i know for a fact that there are a lot of cars out there that do not and never have run low beams AND highbeams at the same time. Wats your mechanic like? I have met some who will fail you on anything they can just to make some more money out of you.

How can I prove to him that ALL skylines do this,

Pull the globe from the low-beam mounting, and show the twit that there is only ONE filament.

No car I am aware of, where the lamp has a twin filament, ever has the low-beam filament active once the switch activates hi-beam.

And if it is a problem, how on earth did the car pass compliance in the first place?

Anyone got the wiring diagram for a Skyline. I think any Skyline would do, because my 32 behaves like that - and I've NEVER had a problem with RWCs (pink slips).

No car I am aware of, where the lamp has a twin filament, ever has the low-beam filament active once the switch activates hi-beam.

I'm pretty sure i compared this with my friend's 200sx s14, and when he highbeamed both the highbeams and lowbeams were on, and that is a australian delivered car, i could be wrong though... Also good point if all skylines are like this how could they be complied... anyways does anyone have a wiring diagram for skylines??

Edited by da spike

Wats your mechanic like? I have met some who will fail you on anything they can just to make some more money out of you.

I dont usually go to this guy but it was a last minute pink slip as rego was expiring the next day, but hes very picky about everything, he also wanted to fail me on wiper blades rubbers being split but they werent actually.

This guy sounds like he has no idea.

Take it back and tell him to get his fax right!

I took it back and called the RTA to confirm that both low beams and high beams do not need to be on, the guy in the RTA didnt know much but said that its fine...

So i got my money back and my pink slip :)

Edited by da spike