SAU Community

What Turbo Do I Have?

scottrichards

Short version of story:

Been yellow stickered. They don't believe this is the stock turbo. Have to prove it, otherwise have to have emissions test.

So, here's the pictures. The car is a 1989 cefiro. Still has rb20 in it. I'm pretty sure the stock turbo is the T28, but I can't find any markings on the turbo to prove it. Apparently the huge amounts of rust isn't enough proof of its authenticity. I can read two of the markings. One has X19A on it, and the other has 2IU. No idea what they mean though.

img2143fd0.jpg

img2140kj4.jpg

img2137qg5.jpg

anything I should be looking for to prove that it's the stock turbo?

f**ked up, isn't it. They say because I have a blowoff valve on, that I OBVIOUSLY have a larger turbo installed too, therefore needing an emissions test.

Just called up a place called TurboTech, in perth, and they say that the stock turbo on all rb20det's is a hitachi HT18. Any confirmation on this?

Just talked to a nissan dealership person over east, who assured me that almost all the nissan turbos are Garrett. However they have used Hitachi on a few. No real help there. Come on, surely someone has to have a reliable source of information as to what the stock ceffy turbo is!

NEW UPDATE:

Here's a list of the responses I've got:

Turbo Tech: hitachi ht18

C-red: Garrett T3

Tanaga Motorsport: maybe T28, not sure though

MTQ turbos: t3 t4 hybrid maybe

Xspeed: hitachi. he sounded very sure of himself

Kensei Garage: garrett t3 (maybe)

Edited by scottrichards

The people who hand out the permits. the Tech department. They're the ones who want proof. Can't really get much better pics than that without taking it out ey. That's alot of effort. And i'm not too much of a fan of effort. I'm taking it to a turbo place tomorrow (hopefully) who will be able to identify it for me.

I'm also just going to remove the blowoff, so incase I don't have a stock turbo, they don't have any reason to suspect that it isn't stock at all. Removing the BOV will be a shit of a job though, as they bolted it together, THEN welded it on, making getting to the alan key bolts near impossible.

Jerks.