SAU Community

Vg30 Turbo?

niran

hey guys/girls

I just have a quick question the turbo I bought was a vg30 and i just wanted to know how to tell is its ball bearing or not and also whether its Ceramic wheel or Steel wheel?? I’ve attached some photos if anyone could tell me if its steel wheel and so on, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks niran

Image 1: vg30 by itself

post-44649-1221229232_thumb.jpg

Image 2: Vg30(left) beside a T28(right)

post-44649-1221229265_thumb.jpg

Image 3: Vg3030(left) beside a T28(right).2

post-44649-1221229307_thumb.jpg

Your probably not going to be able to tell those things simply by looking at those pictures. I can tell you that it will be ceramic exhaust wheel, and I believe it will be BB core too.

But someone else may be able to confirm as some of the early vg30's I think may have been 360 thrust.

Your probably not going to be able to tell those things simply by looking at those pictures. I can tell you that it will be ceramic exhaust wheel, and I believe it will be BB core too.

But someone else may be able to confirm as some of the early vg30's I think may have been 360 thrust.

hey guys, thanks for the help, i took it into kyp today to get it checked ben said its a bb steal wheel one.

thanks for all the help much appreciated

If your picking it off the car it is the vg30det one that you want not the vg30dett as they are ceremic wheeled. There is markings on the one you want that someone sent me a while ago but i cant remember them now and they are not in my inbox so cant help with that but they are a great turbo i had one on my rb20det. I loved it.

Good luck

The Ball Bearing turbocharger WAS standard on the 4 cam single turbo VG30 engine - I think Z32 era .

The give away will be that the center housing is bulky because it's essentially the same as an early RB25DET type cartridge . I know this because I've had them stripped side by side .

Actually someone once begged me to sell them a BB VG30 cartridge because they lunched their RB25 BB turbo and needed a mates rates replacement . From memory the VG30 comp housing was a bees dick smaller in size but they didn't care .

At the time all I wanted was the ellusive larger A/R VG30 BB type turbine housing so it became cost neutral .

The thing to look for with these Hitachi BB turbos is the small bolt head on the side of their center or bearing housings . If the turbo has one its 99% certain to be a ball bearing unit .

There is another turbo that some VG30's used and you can tell because it has a much less bulky center housing and a large turbine outlet .

I have an original VG30 BB turbo in the cave so if I get time in the next couple of days I may be able to get pics of it . I also have a bastard hybrid bush bearing turbo from my early FJ days which I stupidly had bored out for some kind of TA or Mitsy turbine - waste of a rare housing I suppose .

One of the possible give aways of the large turbine housing is the "OP6" cast into them , they don't all have it but mine does .

Sure theres VG BB turbo pics in here somewhere .

A .

hey mate thanks for all that information i will check my turbo for that bolt to be certain.. but by the looks of it the center bearing , its a bit bigger then the t28 r turbo.

thanks for all the info guys greatly apppreciated

niran

The problem is Niran, that the VG30 engine has been used over a great many years, and in many variations, fitted to many different Nissan vehicle types. The turbos also vary a lot between all these various VG30 engines.

It is a bit like asking what sort of turbo does a Skyline RB engine have ?

Anyhow, the very earliest VG30ET turbos were sleeve bearing steel wheel T3s, similar if not absolutely identical to the the Commodore RB30ET turbo. Both these engines date back to around the same time, and Nissan used similar turbos on both these 3 liter engines way back then.

The much later VG30ET's and single turbo VG30DETs used a ball bearing ceramic T3, very similar to an RB25DET turbo, but sometimes with a larger a/r exhaust housing, and slightly different compressor.

In between, there were some really odd ball variants on different VG30 engines,

Many people will tell you many different, and highly conflicting things about these VG30 turbos,

and they are all probably correct !!!

The real definite clue is the 45V3 on the compressor housing.

I Google'd 45V3, and found this very informative post on another forum:

The turbo you're talking about is most likely a 45v3. The specs of this turbo are very close to a T3 super 60. They were based off of garrett designs but actually made by Nissan. One of the cool things about this turbo is that it uses a composite (yes, plastic) compressor wheel and a ceramic turbine shaft and wheel. These are the lightest materials available and combined with the cermaic ball bearing center section, they boost increadibly fast. I have used these turbos on a lot of custom turbo set-ups I have done for people and they always spin pretty damn fast at idle.

One of the problems that you are going to run into is that the materials used for the turbine wheel limits its boost potential. With the 45v1-4 turbos, you can only hit a maximum of around 15psi. There are four different variations of that turbo (hense 1-4) and each has it's own slight differences. The 45v3 is pretty much the same thing as a 45v2, just it has the composite compressor wheel. The 45v1 has a slightly smaller compressor, the 45v4 has a slightly larger turbine housing. Some people have used different combinations of components to make some pretty wicked turbos. Three of those turbos come on the Rb25det motors, differing from R32-R33 models, The other, and the largest, comes off of the VG30det (the older single turbo model.)

So it looks like that 45V3 turbo is definitely a ball bearing ceramic exhaust wheel, with it highly likely having a plastic composite compressor wheel.

And it may have come off either an R33 series two RB25 or some later variant of a VG30DET.

If it is in good condition, this is an extremely nice turbo, as long as you don't expect to run very high boost from it.

Edited by Warpspeed

The problem is Niran, that the VG30 engine has been used over a great many years, and in many variations, fitted to many different Nissan vehicle types. The turbos also vary a lot between all these various VG30 engines.

Anyhow, the very earliest VG30ET turbos were sleeve bearing steel wheel T3s, similar if not absolutely identical to the the Commodore RB30ET turbo. Both these engines date back to around the same time, and Nissan used similar turbos on both these 3 liter engines way back then.

The much later VG30ET's and single turbo VG30DETs used a ball bearing ceramic T3, very similar to an RB25DET turbo, but sometimes with a larger a/r exhaust housing, and slightly different compressor.

Many people will tell you many different, and highly conflicting things about these VG30 turbos,

So it looks like that 45V3 turbo is definitely a ball bearing ceramic exhaust wheel, with it highly likely having a plastic composite compressor wheel.

And it may have come off either an R33 series two RB25 or some later variant of a VG30DET.

If it is in good condition, this is an extremely nice turbo, as long as you don't expect to run very high boost from it.

hey mate thanks alot for that, that was incredibly helpful

yer i wasnt planning on running over 14 psi, so it should hopefully hold

thanks alot for the help every one much appreciated

niran

Edited by niran

Sounds nice but they are not right , there is nothing T3 about them aside from the turbine housings mounting flange pattern - and that's actualy closer to T4 Euro size .

The compressor wheels are larger dia than T3 ones and the turbine shaft is a typically Japanese metric size , T3 off the top of my head is 0.25 inch .

Also the ball bearing races are nothing like the "cartridge" type assembly Garrett uses .

I'll dig mine out in daylight and explain its unique bits .

A .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hi warp speed, will the vg30-45v1 be a good upgrade from the t25 i have on my rb20 ?

On that note does anyone have the larger rear housing they want to sell to me?

Let me get this straight the 45v4 is the OLDEST turbo with the larger rear housing found on the VG30 single turbo engine?

Surprised the VQ30DET turbo has not been mentioned here, quite a few have been sold mistakenly as VG30 turbos here and they aren't a bad unit from all I hear. I believe they are a decent sized BB core turbo.

• 3 months later...
hey mate thanks for all that information i will check my turbo for that bolt to be certain.. but by the looks of it the center bearing , its a bit bigger then the t28 r turbo.

thanks for all the info guys greatly apppreciated

niran

hey there niran , how are you buddy

just wanted to ask some info about the turbo you bought , when you got it checked out and said it was the ball bearing centre with the exhuast steel wheel , is there any markings on the turbo to confirm it is the ball bearing and steel wheel unit ?

for instance like 45v1-2-3-4 and etc ?

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am purchasing a turbo any day now to replace the stock rb5det i bought from a friend who stuffed me around and only lasted a few days with only running 10psi , not happy jan

anyways cheers anf

• 2 weeks later...
hey there niran , how are you buddy

just wanted to ask some info about the turbo you bought , when you got it checked out and said it was the ball bearing centre with the exhuast steel wheel , is there any markings on the turbo to confirm it is the ball bearing and steel wheel unit ?

for instance like 45v1-2-3-4 and etc ?

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am purchasing a turbo any day now to replace the stock rb5det i bought from a friend who stuffed me around and only lasted a few days with only running 10psi , not happy jan

anyways cheers anf

Hey man

Yer im good thanks yourself ?

um actually yer it does aye, my turbo had the number 45v3 im pretty sure..

If you want more info on this turbo, i had put that question up a while back. the link is http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Vg30-Turbo-t235837.html

Reading through it i don’t think mine is actually a ball bearing..

But yer mate read through that all the info will be there

Cheer's niran