SAU Community

Wolf 3d V4plus

Landy

Hey guys just a few questions ive just ordered a wolf 3dv4plus for my r33 and i have a few questions for the install. basicly from what ive seen in the DIY you need to install a air temp sensor and a air line to the back of the wolf (air line is for MAP or somethin to disconect AFM) just wondering if these are needed(not that air line is a worry). The only thing im a bit iffy about is wiring the air temp sensor in. If someone could dirrect me to a page or give me some pointers on wiring this in without connecting dirrectly to board.

What is the rest of the engine combination? Turbo, manifold, exhaust, injector size, fuel system arrangement and pressure etc?

Yes air temp is useful but to a degree it depends on where you live as well, how much temp variation you get from one day to the next etc. You can do a lot of a tune around the sensor, but where its particularly useful is helping get around heat soak when starting.

Give me the rest of your info as above and i'll paint a better picture.

does anyone know what there worth? i just upgraded to a wolf v500 and i want to sell my v4 r32/33 plug in.

The V500 is worlds better than the V4, i do ALOT of Wolfs now, i reckon you could get about 500-650 for the V4..... seems to be the going rate.

Yes air temp is useful but to a degree it depends on where you live as well, how much temp variation you get from one day to the next etc. You can do a lot of a tune around the sensor, but where its particularly useful is helping get around heat soak when starting.
It's not there to measure the ambient air temp. It's there to measure the temperature of the air going into the cylinder. Particularly after it's been through the compressor housing. Even if you have a very good IC, the air will still be several degrees above ambient.

It's not there to measure the ambient air temp. It's there to measure the temperature of the air going into the cylinder. Particularly after it's been through the compressor housing. Even if you have a very good IC, the air will still be several degrees above ambient.

The reality of tuning without air temp input is that your tune may vary .2 of an AFR. Its enough to make a diference for your light load tunes for economy but you wont pick it in throttle response, or on full power. Turning on closed loop operation with a narrow band sensor and you probably wont even notice the diference. Most ecu's ive tuned i aim for a 15 - 15.5:1 light load AFR anyway, so its still better economy than the 14.7 the closed loop mode tracks too.

Where air temp compensation is very useful is allowing the car to start easily when its heat soaked. Eg.. driven so the cooling system is up to 80 degrees, and then parked in the sun for 20 minutes. The intercooler soaks up heat from the radiator as does all the intake piping and intake plenum. Allowing an extra % enrichment in this situation makes the diference between being able to start the car and not being able to start it at all. Ive seen 75+ degree intake temps when starting my car after its been parked like this.

All my tuning has been done in the tropics where ambient air temps during the day are around 55-60 degrees at the plenum. 70+ on boost. Ive seen maps from gtr's tuned in melbourne and they start their air temp compensations around the 40-45 degree mark. Perhaps the cooler states use the compensation differently...? I'd love to have the intake temps the lower aussie states get.

Edited by Vspec R33

I'd love to have the intake temps the lower aussie states get.

i drove cats RB26 from wangaratta to campbeltown in NSW to run the engine in (12am to 6amish) average intake degrees on datalogger was 9 to 10 degrees C..... gotta love GIZZMO phenolic intake gaskets :)

i drove cats RB26 from wangaratta to campbeltown in NSW to run the engine in (12am to 6amish) average intake degrees on datalogger was 9 to 10 degrees C..... gotta love GIZZMO phenolic intake gaskets :)

When i was in melbourne about 2 months ago I thought it was cold... then it started to snow. The only time we ever see air intake temps like that is in winter, on the tabelands around 2am when the dew is stating to fall. Ive heard of 4 degree intake temps off boost. Easily another 30-40hp gained from a 40-45 degree air intake temp drop.

Uras? your a wolf dealer are you, or are you just installing and tuning them along with everything else ?

Uras? your a wolf dealer are you, or are you just installing and tuning them along with everything else ?

Nah but i get alot of tunes come in from other places. Maybe cause WOLF is local (melb) there is alot around. At the moment i do 2- 3 week. The only thing dont like is the Cold start it is evil on them (v4) ... prick to get right.