SAU Community

Fumes From Closed Petrol Cap

da spike

As the title says i have fumes coming from my closed petrol cap. I found that the nozzle that the cap screws into in the tank is loose and i pulled it out by pulling on it lightly. What can i use (that is safe to use in a petrol tank) to seal it back in place? Can i use urethane?

i had the same problem, when ur car gets complianced they have to change the socket to an unleaded. They usually just apply glue and stick it in. Usually after time itll wear out causing fumes to come out and not hearing that whooosh sound when u open your cap.

I used "silkaflex" its around $17 but i got it for $12 :P at supercheap autos.

Hope that helps mate :(

Cool thanks mate, yea it looks like they used some shitty glue to stick it in.

I had the same issue... started to leak and then one day broke off.

I used some stuff called Knead-It... it's kinda like a plasticine consistency until it goes hard... then it goes hard as a rock. I'd be worried with silicone based adhesives (i.e. sicaflex) as the petrol might dissolve it over time...

http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-KneadIt-Steel/default.aspx

You can get it at Bunnings or whatever... lol one of the suggested uses on their website is "Repairing a hole in a fuel tank".

Fantastic stuff.

You have to use it to believe how strong/hard it sets!

Hey,

I've got the same problem and it's been bugging me for years....

Just a quick question, besides the fuel smell is there anything bad that can happen with the tank not pressurising?

Thanks,

Peter

Hey,

I've got the same problem and it's been bugging me for years....

Just a quick question, besides the fuel smell is there anything bad that can happen with the tank not pressurising?

Thanks,

Peter

About a week before I broke the nozzle off, i filled up completely. When I got home I got out and saw a big red stain down the side of my car! The petrol had leaked out under some 'spirited' cornering :dry: I saw what had happened and washed the petrol off, but didn't have time to do anything about it. The next week, I only put in half a tank just to be careful, and as I was screwing the fuel cap back on, the whole nozzle came off in my hands!

About a week before I broke the nozzle off, i filled up completely. When I got home I got out and saw a big red stain down the side of my car! The petrol had leaked out under some 'spirited' cornering :dry: I saw what had happened and washed the petrol off, but didn't have time to do anything about it. The next week, I only put in half a tank just to be careful, and as I was screwing the fuel cap back on, the whole nozzle came off in my hands!

lol same thing happened to me, looks like this is common problem! Also everytime i start the car and look into the drivers side mirror i see fumes from the petrol cap...

Looks like i'll be getting some of this Knead-it stuff this weekend... Good one thanks mate.

Looks like i'll be getting some of this Knead-it stuff this weekend... Good one thanks mate.

Yeah it's good stuff... you've gotta work pretty quick though... from what I remember (this was over a year ago now...) it's like 10 or 15 minutes until it's 100% set... but the last few minutes it's almost set anyway and it's pretty hard to work with!

lol same thing happened to me, looks like this is common problem! Also everytime i start the car and look into the drivers side mirror i see fumes from the petrol cap...

same with me... looks like im off to bunnings..... stupid Q as i cant really look cause my car not here atm, but how can i access the section that needs to be stuck back on? is it only the part behind the fuel cap? or is the problem further down the pipe?

same with me... looks like im off to bunnings..... stupid Q as i cant really look cause my car not here atm, but how can i access the section that needs to be stuck back on? is it only the part behind the fuel cap? or is the problem further down the pipe?

For me it was just the little tube that the cap screws onto with the reducing hole/flap so that only an unleaded nozzle fits in. If I remember, I'll take a photo of it tonight... not that you can really see much because it's all covered in Knead-It now!

I work with knead-it quite abit, get a spray bottle and wet your hands and the knead-it (just a couple of squirts, not to much) and it will give you more time to use it and really get the two compunds mixed before you use it.

stupid Q as i cant really look cause my car not here atm, but how can i access the section that needs to be stuck back on? is it only the part behind the fuel cap? or is the problem further down the pipe?

When u unscrew the fuel cap, youll see the peice that holds the cap on, its the round peice of metal which has the little spring flap on it for when u insert the nozzle etc. you cant miss it :(

Mine was on fairly tight as the glue was still good, thats why i questioned if the leak was coming form there, even though i could see the fumes coming out from there. But i then came to the conclusion that the glue proabaly didnt go all the way around, so i got pliers and wrapped a cloth around so i wouldnt scratch anything and just gripped on the metal bit and moved it around abit, and eventually it became loose, and yeh i was right the glue was good but they just didnt properly apply it all around, so some air would escape.

I then stripped off the old glue, and then put some glue on the inside of the tank mouth and then applied a generous amount on the back side rim of the metal bit i pulled off, then stuck it into the hole and held it down tight for abit and left it over night to dry.

I then filled her up the next day and closed the cap, you should hear that clicking noise when u tighten it all the way, that means the metal bit u glued on is dried and secure. when i got hom i opened my fuel cap and WHOOSH, lol i never really knew how much u can miss that sound :D

But hope you guys get ur problem fixed, lol just try not sit there for hours opening and closing ur cap after its done, might get high on the fumes :D

Here are some pics I took just now... I know the quality is crappy (just the camera on my phone) but at least you can get an Idea of how I used the Knead-It to fix it. And yes... this is NEVER gonna come off :)

If I had known what the Knead-It would be like, I would have been better prepared and made it look a lot better... but once it's set theres not much you can do! I would have liked to get it much smoother and looking more stock... but this is how it is so that's how it's staying!

At least it doesn't leak or anything... and yeah, you can tell it's a good seal when you open the cap (especially on a warm day) and hear the 'Woosh!'.

post-26444-1221569747_thumb.jpg post-26444-1221569810_thumb.jpg post-26444-1221569879_thumb.jpg post-26444-1221569924_thumb.jpg post-26444-1221570076_thumb.jpg post-26444-1221570124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Samon

wow your petrol hole is so small, the nozle hole in mine is about 5 times bigger..... which is the original one???? the big hole or the one pictured above???? also it doesnt cause any probs, i still hear the woosh when i open it...

mine doesnt spill with spirited cornering either. but wen i start it i look in the mirror and can see the fumes coming from the petrol cap.

thanks all. hoping to get my car back this arvo and get some kneadit onti it. lol.

er...

i dont even have that... and i dont have fumes / smells coming from mine?

Nor does it spill at full tank when i take hard cornering?

explain anyone???

Well you may have the original Japanese filler... which would have sealed perfectly as designed. It's just that when complied, they're supposed to change it to one that only fits the Australian Unleaded nozzle, which is not always done so well, hence the leaking and breaking off. If it wasn't changed, then it's not likely to leak!