SAU Community

R34 Air Filter

Rucker34

Hi guys

My car has finished compliance in Brisbane and is going to be on its way here very shortly.

Once it gets here I am gong to have to put it over the pits. At the moment it has a pod filter on it. I was wondering if anyone could help me out by lending me a standard filter box and filter for it because otherwise I don’t thing it is going to pass.

If any one can help or had any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lee

As long as the pod filter is mounted securely it should be fine. Otherwise check out the Consolidated Workshop thread for shops and wreckers in Perth.

ah ok. i thought a pod filter would not pass unless it was boxed though?

ah ok. i thought a pod filter would not pass unless it was boxed though?

That only applies for the eastern states, not here.

As bubba said, as long as its secure, it will pass without a problem.

if you end up not wantin to risk goin thru again i can have a look in ma garage for u

i think i still got ma stock air box sittin in there :D

but liek everyoen said it sho uldn't be a prob to ge tthe car thru as long as the pod doesn't move around

Leo.

EI-107A

Vehicle Safety Branch Examiner’s Instruction

Vehicle Intake and Exhaust Systems

Pre ADR 27C Vehicles

There is evidence to suggest that many ‘hang-on’ emission control devices for these vehicles are no longer available from original equipment manufacturers and/or spare parts suppliers. This applies to vehicles manufactured prior to 31 January 1986.

Taking into consideration the non-availability of emission control components, examiners do not need to insist on original equipment emission control systems being intact.

Consequently vehicle examiners do not need to issue a modification permit for exhaust extractors.

It is also unnecessary to issue a modification permit for non-genuine air filters providing induction noise is not excessive. These include cone or pod type filters.

Not withstanding the above, vehicles must continue to comply with the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002 with respect to the emission of smoke.

Post ADR 37 Vehicles

Vehicles manufactured from 1 February 1986 must continue to comply with the applicable design rule for the year of manufacture (Australian Design Rule 37/00, 37/01, 79/00 or 79/01).

Catalytic converters and other emission control devices must be retained and functioning correctly. However where exhaust extractors are fitted a modification permit is not required.

It is also unnecessary to issue a modification permit for non-genuine air filters providing induction noise is not excessive and that all engine management sensors are fitted and operating. These include cone or pod type filters.

if u want a copy of this government document to take to the pits with you send me a pm with your email addy and i will send it to you

Edited by gazza750

As said above, you should be able to pass with a pod as long as it's well mounted and not flopping all over the place. I passed with mine when I bought my R33 over from the eastern states.

As they have all said as long as it's secure it would be fine. The only problem you could have is if it's a mushroom style pod as they can be overly noisy (for no reason), but that's down to the inspector plus you might not know what it sounds like until you get the car haha....

But if you think you're better off changing it you've got a few people here willing to help you out :)

I used some 1.3mm ally sheet I had lying around, cut two strips, drilled a hole at each end and ran them from the bolts holding the AFM on to a couple of captive nuts in the chassis where I believe the stock airbox bolted to.

Initial compliance registration of the car is different to taking a car across for an inspection such as resulting from recieving a yellow sticker. Compliance rules says that the car needs to be stock as a rock in order to pass the pits. Which means you won't pass the pits if you have an aftermarket catback exhaust on it or any other similar light modifications such as different rims. Hell if you don't have the factory nissan pads in it, they can knock you back if they feel like it. Other side to that is that a lot of the pit guys don't really know the difference and sometimes won't pick you up. But if they understand raws compliance they can and will knock you back

Initial compliance registration of the car is different to taking a car across for an inspection such as resulting from recieving a yellow sticker. Compliance rules says that the car needs to be stock as a rock in order to pass the pits. Which means you won't pass the pits if you have an aftermarket catback exhaust on it or any other similar light modifications such as different rims. Hell if you don't have the factory nissan pads in it, they can knock you back if they feel like it. Other side to that is that a lot of the pit guys don't really know the difference and sometimes won't pick you up. But if they understand raws compliance they can and will knock you back

lots stupid inspectors here in perth my initial rego went over with apexi pods tein coilovers and 17x9 enkei's and passed

yeah but the car has already been through and passed its compliance. I this not is just to prove the car is road legal and to get the car licensed here in WA?

surely it would not be that strict, i would have thought it would be no different to buying a car from over east and getting it licensed here. I'm sure people are not expected to take the wheels kits and mods etc off there commodores and what non just to licence them here in WA providing they are road legal?

Edited by Rucker34

Like they would send the car from Qld to WA without completing compliance :blush:

As long as it's not too loud, you shouldn't have a problem with it on as long as it's secured.

Like they would send the car from Qld to WA without completing compliance :banana:

As long as it's not too loud, you shouldn't have a problem with it on as long as it's secured.

Yeah but the car also has an exhaust so now because of what BAZ said im worried about that.