SAU Community

squeeling noise on startup

HPerboost

Hey all

Just recently my 33 has developed this squeeling noise on startup it sounds like a engine drive belt but they are all tight and in good condition so that isnt the problem. It will make this noise three out of five times it is started so it isnt constant. I was told it could be the clutch on the engine cooling fan or somthing in the strater motor any help would be sweet as its getting worrying thx dudes.

If your certain on your belts then I'd be looking at the starter motor next. You could have a faulty/slow returning solenoid. What this means is that the starter motor is being turned over by the engine for a second or two until momentum returns the idler gear. The solenoid is the smaller of the two cylinders on the starter motor and is responsible for the throwing in and out of the gear. It could be as simple as the return spring being broken or dissengauged.

R33, if its this, i wouldn't expect more than $100 to remove and install then another $100 for parts. But don't quote me, cause for all I know it could be something as stupid as a sqealing timing belt tensioner and they charge you $600 cause it took them all day to get it out and back!

Ive got the same thing....sounds like my alt. is clicking every second at 1000rpm when cold...if the car is warm, it doesn't do it...belts have been changed and water pump replaced....im thinking its something with the pump as i left water out of the radiator while the car was running and it stopped for 5 sec...?

if u think it maybe the alt , take the belt off if it stops well thats it then if it doesn't then u know its not the alt .

but u should be able to tell the alt bearing noise is diff to the starter gear noise ..

no just normal spaner or socket . the alt belt u loosen the alt so u can move it in to remove the air cond same whaen u tighten them make sure they are not to tight as long as they dont squeel that is tight enough.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• so finally had an event i was home for that didn't get rained off or otherwise cancelled to be able to actually drive the car, unfortunately was roll racing which isnt my favourite thing ever but had an awesome night with friends and testing the car out. obviously a huge difference in driving experience with the samsonas although still without flat foot upshifts the ratios are so much nicer and actually has boost into the next gear which was not something i always experienced with the stock gearbox. but of course absolutely loving the sound of the sidepipe and for its downfalls of ruining the car in ever other way it does sound awesome at the track.   had some weird issues where it would misfire in 2nd but fine in every other gear and at the end of the night at the end of the run would have no throttle until it decided it wanted to work, so will be looking into that before a proper track night coming up in just over a week to really see the changes in the car. Messenger_creation_C9B7F84E-0820-444B-A53D-9AD40F7DDC5B.mp4     received_870009858147161.mp4   Messenger_creation_046B1D12-ABA0-4B01-B78F-262559E64ADC.mp4  by the end of the night found that if i was nice and gentle on the throttle in 2nd it wouldnt misfire so was only fully throttle and loaded up in 2nd it would occur 
    • I think I will try out Frenchy’s power steering kit. Looks like a better solution.
    • Useless lot aren't they? Releasing stuff on the market that doesn't do what it's supposed to do without you stuffing about with it and spacing out the spacer lol. FFS.
    • Similar experience with Ross pulley. Can't recommend.
    • Hey guys I’m putting my 180sx wiring loom back into my car and I’ve run the interior harness out I’ve noticed that on the passengers a pillar there seems to be a section of holes where zip ties would go as if to run a thin 4 wire harness to the roof I’ve searched through all of my stuff to try and find this harness but I can’t seem to find anything. I’m just wondering what the passengers side a pillar( on the windscreen) harness/wiring is actually for as I have already wired up my interior lights cheers