SAU Community

P-platers Demerit Points

NA_Goodness

Hey guys,

Just got done for speeding, $700 and 5 demerit points. Won't go into details, but it is my fault and I deserve it.

However, my mate says that if you were to lose 4 demerit points or more at one time while on your Ps, you lose your license for so long. Does anyone know if this is correct? I couldnt find any details on the DPI website. Sounds like something the government would do, another stupid law.

Lets hope he's wrong!

Cheers

Rhys

nah youll be fine, its exactly the same as full license drivers, only time you will lose your license is when you either get done for careless, reckless or hoon

Actually thats not the case..

"Demerit point offence notification

If you commit an offence which carries demerit points, VicRoads will send you a letter which lists how many demerit points you have accumulated and the details of the offence(s).

If you:

have a full driver licence and get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period; or

have a learner permit or probationary driver licence and you get 5 or more demerit points in any 12 month period or you get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period,

you will be advised by VicRoads that you have these demerit points and given a notice with two options, as follows.

Options available

Option 1: Keep your Permit / Licence

You can elect to keep your licence but you must not accumulate any other demerit points during a 12 month period specified on your option notice or your licence/permit will be suspended for double the time that it would have been suspended under option 2.

If you choose option 1 you should call VicRoads on 1300 555 325 (this automated service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and confirm your option selection at least seven days before the option 2 suspension is scheduled to commence.

Option 2: Suspend your Permit / Licence

If you choose option 2 you do not need to respond to the option notice. Your licence suspension will commence on the date specified in this notice. The suspension period will be three months for the first 12 points (or 5 points if you have a learner permit or probationary licence) plus one month for every additional four points listed in the option notice."

From November 2008

• If a person who has not held a driver’s licence for at least one year (or periods adding up to one year)

or a person who has never held a driver’s licence, gains a total of four or more demerit points they

will be disqualified from driving for a period of three months. Warning letters will be issued with all

infringements.

• If a person who has held a driver’s licence for at least one year, but less than two years (or periods

adding up to two years) gains a total of eight or more demerit points, they will be disqualified from

driving for a period of three months. Warning letters will be issued with all infringements.

From here:

http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov.au/do...LTableAug08.pdf

O no...

wasnt rhys on his red p's?!?!

Sh*t....

no wait! its only sept 18! Those rules dont come into effect till november 2008..!! Rhys just got lucky!

On the old system, i dont think it mattered....

Edited by br3ndan

Dude......what'd you do!!!!!! lol

I'm so paranoid abotu demerits!! I've had my P's for a year and havn't lost a single demerit!! I got off on a caution for my car accident when I could've lost 2 demerits and a $100 fine for 'driving without due caution'. Don't know why I'm so paranoid. *angel*

Just be careful for now on Rhys ;)

Wow, WA is even stricter.. My mistake

when i was in brisbane you only got 4 points for your P's

One year later i got a 4 demerit point fine, then they give you a choice of either losing it for 3months or keep it with only 1 point for 12months, and if you lose that 1 point inside the 12months your original fine doubles!! (ie 6month disquailfication)

WA's abit more easy going haha

Edited by R34GTFOUR

Only 5 points left and I'm a good driver!!

If anyone wants to know exactly what happened PM me, but I'm not sure if I can publicly discuss it.

Brendan, I'm on my green Ps now man, I'm a big boy now :(

Dan, NAs aren't as slow as you think. I can keep up with a GTSt pretty easily, as long as they don't hit boost ;) jks

Thanks god I'm not losing my license! Doesn't help me convince mum I need a turbo tho

when i was in brisbane you only got 4 points for your P's

One year later i got a 4 demerit point fine, then they give you a choice of either losing it for 3months or keep it with only 1 point for 12months, and if you lose that 1 point inside the 12months your original fine doubles!! (ie 6month disquailfication)

WA's abit more easy going haha

I believe we have a "double or nothing" deal here now where if you lose your license you can opt to keep driving on a good behaviour kind of bond but if you get caught again you lose your license for twice as long as you would have originally.

unlucky rhys... exactly the same thing happened to my friend...he was 38km over the limit.. 700 bux and 5 demerits.

so u wont lose ur licence..unlucky tho man

Edited by nism0man

A guy I go to tafe with got $1000 worth of fines yesterday.

$100 for some minor thing

$300 for speeding

$600 for driving with an expired yellow sticker

The cops couldn't be bothered fining him anymore because of the paper work, even though they found all his pipes n shit in his car.