SAU Community

R32 Gtr (import) Registration Issues

Hi,

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a hand ASAP.. Car waiting at engineers now. Will give you a rundown of my problem.

Im currently having a problem getting my recently purchased 1989 R32 GTR (import) registered in NSW. The car was brought in VIC and has current VIC rego, with import compliance and an engineers cert in VIC.

I have at this stage taken for a blue slip to which the guy told me I need an engineers cert because it is an import and it is coming interstate. (Mind you I called RTA before buying the car and they said nothing of an engineers cert - useless!)

So I have taken it to an engineer and fixed up all issues with the R32 but the engineer has just spoken to me and told me that the seatbelts and headlights in the car dont have the required markings on them to certify they are legal in Australia

(He checked windows etc and everything else has appropriate markings, it has also had child restraints put in)

Can anyone confirm what I will have to do and if the headlights/seatbelts need these markings. Also if they dont have the markings are they actually legal in aus.

Appreciate any help on the matter.

Cheers,

Mitch.

they 'should' be DOT or E marked and that is acceptable for compliance providing the peopel who complied it had evidence for them (which they must have). have you got the CIN (consumer information notice) or the orginal engineers sign off from when it was complied? those two docs will help you out.

otherwise you will have to fit appropriate seatbelts. as for the headlights they are most certainly compliant.

perhaps consider another blue slip station that is more familiar with imports. I use andrews automotive in five dock, or a place in brookvale (bugger, name escapes me) or autosport at kirrawee are fine too. they are all clued up on imports and know what is/is not needed.

Thanks for your help and am very sorry about the multiple threads. Will make sure it doesnt happen in the future..

Also thanks to stretch who gave me the following reply in another thread:

find yourself another engineer.

all 15 year old imports arnt required to fit belt or headlights .unless damaged

not even raws cars need todo that.

So if the headlights arent DOT or E marked is what stretch said correct, it doesnt matter at all because it shouldnt be an issue or will I require them to be DOT / E marked and if so who can do this...

Cheers,

Mitch.

there is no issue with the headlights. DOT or E marking are marks that are set into a car part when manufactured to show that that component meets the Department Of Transport or Euro transport standard applicable to that type of car part. they can't be added to a part later, they are done at time of manufacture. cars made overseas often comply to those standards not aus standards but in many instances they deem the standards to be compatible so we allow DOT marks or E marks to be acceptable for certain parts. perhaps consider taking your car to stretch (autosport) for the blue slip. he knows all this and will ensure it's done properly and fairly. ;)

Thanks again mate..

Trust me I would definately take it to someone like stretch with more of an idea for imports but I am located in Wagga Wagga and the are only 2 engineers authorised to do cars and only 3 blue slip stations.

I will just have to speak to the engineer again and let him know what I have found out.

Cheers,

Mitch.

Well just to let you's know I have passed on this information to the engineer and he then gave me the engineers cert with no problems. I also got the car blueslipped so she is all right to go.

Thanks again for your help!