SAU Community

Rb30 Pre Build Advice

raZ1911

Yeah i think i just have to live with the fact its not going to work lol.

Is there any stock turbo that wont be to bad for the RB30 till i get another one.

Like a VG30 one over the RB25 or some others?

Edited by raZ1911

the problem with using an RB25 or a VG30 turbo is it will be on full boost ~2000rpm, ask CEF11E what his is like to drive with his high flow stock turbo also by the time you hit 5000-5500 the turbo is totally out of puff.

From memory he could put his foot down in 5th and it would just lose traction the boost hit that hard.

well im planning to run the motor in with the stock rb20 turbo! it could get messy me thinks! but after that im putting a GT30R (0.82 A/R) to give me some massive balls down low and still have some head room left up top...then mite do some cams down the track if money permits.

Your best and cheapest option to put on it till you get money/time is a R34 turbo-the biggest of the stock gtst/gtt range and still go for a fairly low price...until then-start saving!

I'm running a stock 25s1 turbo for now.. 12psi by 2200rpm, 183rwkw@4650rpm, dies in the ass after 5800rpm. IMO a 20 turbo would be ridiculously small, a VG30 would be the best "stock" option to start with with a neo turbo following closely behind.

hey guys just reading this thread and some people have mentioned you cant upgrade cams with VCT is this true? as im looking to buy a fully forged rb30 and can get an Rb25head with VCT or an RB26 Head to go with it aiming for 300 - 400 rwkw so will prolly need cams will be going for a garrett 35/40 or T04z

There are plenty of cams that retain the VCT, and if you buy a forged rb30 bottom end and put a an rb25 head on it, the comp ratio will be too low

[/quotes]

Ah sorry wasnt very specific its got forged CP pistons to give a desired Comp Ratio of 8.3:1 with an RB25 head on it the bottom end was built to take an RB25

No you can get cams that keep VCT. But not very big ones, so once you get to a certain power level VCT has to go. Im pretty sure any more than 400 HP then thats where VCT is about dead? I havnt heard of anybody keeping VCT at 400KW, thats a very big number.

Hmm thanks for the reply oh well thats a bit of a spew i will just have to disable VCT or get an RB26 head for it instead can i stil retain the VCT loom or would i need to source a loom off a non vct head and once i have disabled vct can i just purchase valve springs and bigger cams to suit a non vct head?

• 2 weeks later...

umm my motor isnt complete or anywhere near being finished at the moment, yet im using a rb25det vct head and planing on using rb20 cams to not use the vct, i modified the plug at the end of the oil galery in the head to feed oil right to the end of the galerey so it comes out the cam like its ment to then closed one of the end cam galerys/ holes and restricted the other so its the same size as the other then welded up the vct feed at the bottom of the head and will just use a vct soliniod with no wiring to finish it off.

however, the water jacket when the 30 block and 25 head meet had like half a mill or so, very very tiny before the side of the block so i welded and reshaped that to be more like the standard 30 one, i would of thought this was nessasary as its realy to close to the edge otherwise.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• What makes you say CD009 boxes are not as strong as you would think? I've always been told the last revision (CD00A) is good for 1000whp and I have no issue's believing it when comparing one side by side with an RB25 box. Makes them look tiny. 
    • I picked up an open Center with shafts. I was told the Open shafts will fit a mechanical LSD and looking at them. I think they will work. Will update 
    • The manual says a lot about the different ratios requiring different shafts. all the Centers are the same but depending on the ratio, this determines the shafts because different ratios need the center to be offset more or less or right to left.
    • those 2 sets of shafts will not interchange and if you’re lucky you haven’t damaged anything with all your pressing and bashing you said you’ve done 
    • Freshly built stroked RB25/28. Motor runs great but consumes a lot more oil then It should. This summer with the heat I was consuming roughly a quart per 1800-2000kms. Now with the cold weather coming in, I'm consuming a quart per 1000kms which is no bueno. I had originally chalked this out to break in taking a little longer then it should, but I'm now around 4000km's on this engine. I think it's fair to say something isn't quite right. Here's the kicker, can't find what's causing it. I've also spoken to my engine builder and Precision Turbo and can't figure it out. Here's my train of thought on possible causes and what I've done.  Precision Turbo - I originally started thinking my oil pressure might be a tad too high for my 6466 Gen2. I took the center cartridge out, and while yes there's signs of oil on the turbine heatshield, it's very moderate. There's also very minor in/out play that concerns me. I sent pictures and videos to precision and they said the residue and in/out play is minimal and they doubt this is the issue. For piece of mind, I went ahead and installed a Turbosmart OPR V2 to bring oil pressure down. Made no difference. Precision is willing to take it in on RMA for an inspection and I'll probably take them up on that offer for peace of mind. BTW. Is it just me or does the turbines inducer's look clipped and not even between each other? I just noticed this now while posting and looking at the picture zoomed in. Might just be the picture...  Rings - Hot compression test and leak down test look good. Compression is 160 +-2psi across the board. I leak down at 16% on cyl 1,2,3,5,6 and 18% on cyl4. Keep in mind I have a snap on leak down tester and they read high (I.E, 15% on my wifes 2018 Sentra with 70000kms). Sparkplugs show minimal oil (Only #4 seems to have a tad). At a quart per 1000km's though, I would be expecting them to be wet. Here's the kicker, I run WMI. I'm thinking what if my compression rings are great, but I have an oil control ring issue on cyl4 and my WMI is steam cleaning the pistons and sparkplugs? I can still see the "Spool" logo on top of my CP pistons. The only time I see smoke out of the exhaust is in the high rpm/load range. So far, this is my main culprit. I'll probably turn off my WMI and go out with the car at spring pressure tomorrow and repull the plugs. Other thing that's strange though is that I have never seen any oil in my catch can. Thing is still dry after 4000kms. Cyl1 - Left, Cyl6 - Right. Valve seals - They're new and I would expect oil consumption on idle, first cold start or during decel. None of which is happening.  Crankcase pressure - I have 2x 10an valve cover lines to a vented catch can. Head drain and opened up internal oil drain paths. I also don't run E85. I've never seen any oil in my catch can. Doubtful this is causing any issues.  Rear main seal - I have no visible leaks, but figured maybe it was my rear main seal. After now having added 2-3 quarts, I would expect oil to leak out the bottom drain channel and/or my clutch to be slipping.  Let me know your thoughts. With winter coming and taking the car off the road until spring, I'm fine with pulling the motor apart but I would hate to take it all apart and the turbo was the issue in the end.