SAU Community

Car Died Sitting In The Garage

R.3.2.G.T.R

so my bro drove my car back from melb to ballarat in July as I was going inter-state and car has pretty much being parked and started every week or so but not driven out the garage

today when he tried to drive it, it struggles around 3000-4000rpm mark and starts to stutter and die,

it has hks chipped ecu and stock turbo, fuel pump, hks piping, blitz bov.. last fuelled in july (1/4 tank left)

since i cant physically check the car myself, i have had him to check few things

idles normally

fuel pump primes

afm plugs in securely

zorst not smoking

bov blocked off properly

fuel filter replaced not long ago

was serviced bout 2000kms ago

nothing else modified in the car since being in the garage

how long does the fuel last in-tank before deterioating?

i have a tomei fuel pump that i might try and get him to swap with

i had previously checked dry solder joints on the afm (none) but havent gotten him to clean the afm as yet.. should it idle fine and stutter when driven on a dirty afm?

will get him to check for air leak.. wot else can i check?

so my bro drove my car back from melb to ballarat in July as I was going inter-state and car has pretty much being parked and started every week or so but not driven out the garage

today when he tried to drive it, it struggles around 3000-4000rpm mark and starts to stutter and die,

it has hks chipped ecu and stock turbo, fuel pump, hks piping, blitz bov.. last fuelled in july (1/4 tank left)

since i cant physically check the car myself, i have had him to check few things

idles normally

fuel pump primes

afm plugs in securely

zorst not smoking

bov blocked off properly

fuel filter replaced not long ago

was serviced bout 2000kms ago

nothing else modified in the car since being in the garage

how long does the fuel last in-tank before deterioating?

i have a tomei fuel pump that i might try and get him to swap with

i had previously checked dry solder joints on the afm (none) but havent gotten him to clean the afm as yet.. should it idle fine and stutter when driven on a dirty afm?

will get him to check for air leak.. wot else can i check?

Your plugs might be fouled from just starting it and letting it idle in the garage. Fresh fuel, check/clean or replace plugs for a start.

Mike

My money is on your plugs being fowled. Mine with a custom computer and Sard's(got retuned but needs another cold start tune done) will fowl after only a couple of starts and a few moves around.

The other day was the worst I have seen it as I left it at a mates for a buff and polish. They called me stressing cuz they thought they did something real bad cuz it wouldnt run for more than ten seconds. I jumped in and it took me a while to get it to idle for a minute or so cuz it kept dying.

The only way I worked it out was get in, crank it and start it and then pumping the pedal in and out(By feel) trying to stop it from dying(It wouldnt rev past 3 grand which I was worried about) and then eventually It came good and I could give it a good rev. I then had to take it out and give it a good run around the block before the plugs come good.

If u can get it started I would do what I just outlined feathering the throttle without it dying and when it will take a good rev take it for a drive and give it a good boot around block. Then it should run good as gold.

When you go away from factory specs they can become temperamental as sh!t and just starting it once a week will make it foul it really needs a good run around the block.

Let us know how you go and hopefully I have helped anyway.

Cheers

Bill (Imtorqing)