SAU Community

Replacement Used Import Plate

Hi,

During respray, the painter misplaced the "Used Import Plate" pink/purple/magenta coloured label in the engine bay (see page 6 of: http://raws.dotars.gov.au/download/PDF/Pla...ort%20Plate.pdf to see what I am referring to).

I rang the guy who I bought the car from who originally imported the car, and he said there was nothing he could do about it and didn't know what I could do about it.

How can I get a replacement?

well refusing to pay for the job is not going to really do you any favours. and will just majorly piss off the panel beater. BUT he certainly does need to help get another one, and pay any costs involved in getting it. I would contact DOTARS and ask them what can be done about it.

Just peeling it off voids the label. If he finds the voided label, great, but not necessary.

You have to go back to the workshop that complied the car and get them to do a stat dec to get a new plate issued.

We just had to do this last week for a customer who put the wrong plate on a car.

Hi,

During respray, the painter misplaced the "Used Import Plate" pink/purple/magenta coloured label in the engine bay (see page 6 of: http://raws.dotars.gov.au/download/PDF/Pla...ort%20Plate.pdf to see what I am referring to).

I rang the guy who I bought the car from who originally imported the car, and he said there was nothing he could do about it and didn't know what I could do about it.

How can I get a replacement?

"You have to go back to the workshop that complied the car and get them to do a stat dec to get a new plate issued."

What is a stat dec? Can you please tell me what is involved ?

stat dec is a statutory declaration

After contacting DOTARS, unfortunately, it seems that the answer is simple.

A replacement plate cannot be issued for a vehicle that has been previously registered in Australia.

To be honest, I find this utterly ridiculous: there is NO WAY to get a replacement plate.

Mate its like trying to get a replacement plate for a brand new FG Falcon or VE Commodore.

Try asking for a replacement plate for your genuine A9X Hatch thats plates were destroyed when it was acid dipped during restoration??

You cant get replacement plates for any vehicle.

DOTARS is a federal system, rego is a state system. Their only major links are through NEVDIS or the online evidence databases that some state transport agencies (VICRoads, etc) use.

As far as I know, DOTARS has no way of knowing if a car's registered or not. Are you sure you were speaking with the RAWS team at DOTARS? It's a big agency so make sure you spoke with the right people. The other people at DOTARS don't know much about RAWS.

The car we dealt with wasn't yet registered, but we got the plate fine.

After contacting DOTARS, unfortunately, it seems that the answer is simple.

A replacement plate cannot be issued for a vehicle that has been previously registered in Australia.

To be honest, I find this utterly ridiculous: there is NO WAY to get a replacement plate.

sounds a little dodgey to me that he "misplaced" something that important. ^^^ as above. Dont pay for the job until its found and re-attached.

this is exactly what dotars will think unfortunetly . their primary concern is rebirthing which smash repairers and painters are often involved in so their unlikely to take anything onboard from your spray guy.

can you produce the old "voided" plate , if he peeled it off. That will help a lot as they will know the location of the old plate. Your next best bet is to contact the compliancer and try and get him to confirm the identity of the car and get involved.

re-issuing of a new plate is not as hard with the raw if its close to the issue date , say if it was lost on arrival or put on the wrong car. but getting one issued to the public after some time can be very difficult.

I also think the painters story sounds a bit dodgey , i dont like your chances in this unfortunetly

Carizma: Thanks for the reply, the person I spoke to was Raws Administration...

The sticker/plate is gone, no chance of getting it back, and unfortunately no it's not close to the issue date (car was complied/imported 2 years ago).

Edited by mikegg

no worries.

Well, that's strange that they said that. The RVCS scheme has a circular (0-3-2 if you're interested) that says:

"The manufacturer must replace any label found to be defective. A replacement adhesive label or a letter of compliance may be provided where a lost or accidentally damaged label can be proven."

It's a different scheme than RAWS, but they both use similar adhesive labels so I guess you need to look into a 'letter of compliance' option then.

We've never done this, but maybe someone else here has. Get your painter to write you a letter saying what he's done, cause you might need that when dealing with DOTARS. Plus, it might be handy when you sue his az later.

Their should not be a problem if it has been registered before as your state registration authority will just issue you a letter stating the compliance plate is not fitted but is a legit car. It happens to AUS delivered cars as well when the plates are stolen off cars be it joy riders or thieves, I have seen it a few times over the years but the panel shop might get a fine.