SAU Community

Where To Purchase A "built" Rb30 Crate Engine

CosmoLTW

Hey guys!

I'm about as far away as possible from you guys but know that Aussies have the RBs down more than anybody so here goes:

I'm looking to do something completely different from anything in my area here in the States. And a properly built RB30 for my S14 seems like the perfect choice for what I want in a car.

I want a completely built engine because I thrash my cars pretty hard at the track and on the street. I want very little lag and smooth power delivery with a lot of torque (possible twins?). I already have my engine management picked out (HKS F-Con VPro), and want to have four maps: one for pump gas(just daily driving around town), pump + nitrous(for the highway runs hehe), race gas(for the race track), and race gas + nitrous(for the drag strip)

I am trying to build a car that is a jack of all trades, so to speak. I am looking for a very smooth driveable 400-450whp on just pump for a manageable street power, and then I can turn up the wick when I get myself into a pissing contest haha.

So because of that I need an engine that is very versatile. I like all kinds of motorsports and would like to build a car that does all things pretty well and is a completely different approach than what most of the people around me have. Any help, advice, facts, people to talk to would be much appreciated. My main questions were for comp. ratio(8.5:1 sound good?), turbo size(s) (leaning towards a Precision prepped GT3082, GT35R, etc.), and who to build me this engine (since I can't be in as close contact as I would like). I also was interested in finding out how well RBs respond to nitrous if tuned for it. I was thinking somewhere around a 150 shot?

Thanks guys!

I have an idea...

T04Z or T51R Kai?

What's like one size down from these?

I was just looking at the GT3240 on HKS' website, but I'm not a huge fan of HKS' turbos. Do other people make fully custom versions of this assumed Garrett turbo? I'm a huge fan of Precision's turbos. Do they do one like this?

Edited by CosmoLTW

+1 for RIPS, go to GTROC forums from the UK - those guys have money to burn hence why every 2nd car has a RIPS motor in it :( Their work is absolutely amazing - Rob is an awesome guy to deal with too (given us heaps of info re RB30s for nothing)

Turbo wise the 3082 would be all you'd need to hit 400-450rwhp in US terms :P

Gas/fuel obviously more depending on where/how etc.

The GT35 will give you much more room for playing on PULP, here in AUS terms you can get 500rwhp from a GT35 without much trouble.

Then more on fuel/gas etc... so gives you an idea of where both sit.

Since you're in the US, why not go for Turbonetics items? Cheap as chips straight from the US.

Just heard of a lot of guys having reliability problems with them. Don't know a single person that has had one last a year here anyway. I like the GTK series though so I don't know. Thanks a lot for your help guys. I was leaning towards RIPS, now it's just pretty much definite. I'll keep you guys updated as the project starts to get rolling... :P

One other thing, will they already do the oil return line at the back of the head and things like that? That's mainly what I am concerned about. I have an RB25DET right now and know a very little about them so far.

I am just very meticulous about the car being built as bulletproof as possible with every trick utilized because I know how much I ask of my cars.

What other little weak areas should I be aware of when taking on an RB30/26? If this has been covered a thousand times I am sorry.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys!

I'm about as far away as possible from you guys but know that Aussies have the RBs down more than anybody so here goes:

I'm looking to do something completely different from anything in my area here in the States. And a properly built RB30 for my S14 seems like the perfect choice for what I want in a car.

I want a completely built engine because I thrash my cars pretty hard at the track and on the street. I want very little lag and smooth power delivery with a lot of torque (possible twins?). I already have my engine management picked out (HKS F-Con VPro), and want to have four maps: one for pump gas(just daily driving around town), pump + nitrous(for the highway runs hehe), race gas(for the race track), and race gas + nitrous(for the drag strip)

I am trying to build a car that is a jack of all trades, so to speak. I am looking for a very smooth driveable 400-450whp on just pump for a manageable street power, and then I can turn up the wick when I get myself into a pissing contest haha.

So because of that I need an engine that is very versatile. I like all kinds of motorsports and would like to build a car that does all things pretty well and is a completely different approach than what most of the people around me have. Any help, advice, facts, people to talk to would be much appreciated. My main questions were for comp. ratio(8.5:1 sound good?), turbo size(s) (leaning towards a Precision prepped GT3082, GT35R, etc.), and who to build me this engine (since I can't be in as close contact as I would like). I also was interested in finding out how well RBs respond to nitrous if tuned for it. I was thinking somewhere around a 150 shot?

Thanks guys!