SAU Community

Help Me Decide Skyline Non Turbo Or Wrx

Alright guys firstly into, i am new here thou long time lurker. Am 24 so can drive turbo. wohoo. Currently drive a Corolla. :)

A friend was going to sell his MY99 WRX Manual and i gave him $200 deposit. 2 wks later it was stolen and damaged a bit. He got paid out by insurance (or part something or rather( and he is selling it as it is. I dont want it anymore.

Now that i am back in the market for a second hand car, my love for skylines has been giving me sleepless nights.

Ok so now i am after a non-turbo R34. I know the WRX would do about 11litres/100km on mixed driving so i am hoping the na version of the Skylines would do the same. Can anyone confirm. I have been getting mixed info on the net. I would love to get the Turbo version of Skyline but i think it would drink considerably more than the WRX so the normal Skyline will have to do.

Also what versions (R34 Manual) should i be looking at on the net. (I am open to both 2 door and 4 door). All i have found is:

R34 25GT

May also be open to the Later R33 models. Also anyone can provide Fuel consumption for the NA skylines.

Thanks guys

my friend has a r34 GT and gets about 550kms-600kms on a full tank with mixed driving conditions. thats to empty. costs about $80 if tank is empty.

my r32 gtst costs about the same and will do 450kms. R33 gtst's are even better with fuel considering they have more power and bigger capacity. r34 gtt's are better still considering they have 206kw's. turbo's will always drink more then a NA obviously but if you want a turbo skyline fuel shouldn't be a worry.

I'm 20 and a student. work casually at my local kmart. i make sure every week that i will have money for fuel before everything else so that i can drive it. Owning a skyline has been a dream of mine and now is a passion.

If you are worried about fuel then go for a NA 34.

rexys are nice, sound good although i think overated, heavy and expensive to repair although i might be biased as i'm a evo boy LoL.

my friend has a r34 GT and gets about 550kms-600kms on a full tank with mixed driving conditions. thats to empty. costs about $80 if tank is empty.

Sorry may sound a bit dumb, but is it a 60 or 70Litre tank. I am confused with all these imports and fuel tanks.

If you are worried about fuel then go for a NA 34.

rexys are nice, sound good although i think overated, heavy and expensive to repair although i might be biased as i'm a evo boy LoL.

Yeah thats why i am looking for NA 34 but need help in looking up models. Open for both 2 and 4 door.

I love the rexys but skylines look more comfortable and descent power for NA versions. I think they are over rated as well but nice car. I love the WRX but would go with the newer Evos. They look better, esp hate the latest WRX.

hmmm...i remember it being 65L but someone correct me if i'm wrong. So the r34 gt is the one u want.

r34 coupe is big and r34 sedan even bigger so space is no problem. manual would be the way to go obviously unless u just like to cruise so auto would do but i've heard bad things about the semi auto in the 34.

just depends. what u want

For a comparison, the 96 S2 R33 GTS-T I own gets between 10.5-12L/100km on a 55L (or is it 50L?) tank. I usually fill up at the 450-500KM mark which is just starting to head for the bottom of the fuel gauge. I'm a very modest driver though, maybe 30 seconds a day of boost, that's it, and that's moderate too... just coming onto the freeway (40->100km is fun to do on boost).

I've seen people who drive hard get between 18-22L/100km so it really depends how you drive them... same with any car. The nice thing about the skylines are their beauty (imo) and the power you have if you need it

Hi

FIRSTLY: It'll help more if you tell us what your budget is...??? You won't get so many varied responses if you can tell us this!

If I'm driving on highways and doing occasional squirts with spirited driving, (& no stop/start traffic) our family's l/100Km are

R34 GTR (F-Con Pro-V)= 12.2 to 13.7 l/100Km

Prelude VTiR (3rd Gen) = 9.2 to 9.9 l/100Km

Son's R33 GTR (stock) = 11.3 to 13.3 l/100Km

Son's daily 95 Corolla 1.8l = 6.? to 7.? l/100Km (but this is used in peak hour)(should be similar to yours to gauge similarity to your driving style).

Tez

I was thinking of getting a 34 as well, but I decided to go with the 33 becuase of the looks. I really love the look of the 2D 33 - NA.

Mine is a 95 model and I get about 550-600km out of a 65L tank. I am a soft driver though but dont mind reving up to 5k on the rare occasion.

Mind you, its a non-turbo but they will still throw you back

Hi

FIRSTLY: It'll help more if you tell us what your budget is...??? You won't get so many varied responses if you can tell us this!

Thanks for your reply, my budget is $15,000 max.

I was thinking of getting a 34 as well, but I decided to go with the 33 becuase of the looks. I really love the look of the 2D 33 - NA.

Mine is a 95 model and I get about 550-600km out of a 65L tank.

Looking at some ads on CarSales last night, i saw a few 96-97 NISSAN SKYLINE R33 GTS they look very nice indeed. They are well priced as well.

You got how many KW they got and a rough 0-100 time. (just curious thats all)

mate if you really want to go down the NA route, i dunno how good an r34 15k will get you (can someone correct me on this?)

whereas 15k will get you a sweet 33 NA with plenty of cash to spare :/ and you get a sexier car too :dry:

i think the NAs have about 140kw or so.. and 0-100 would be in the 7-8sec region.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

Ric

Hi guys

I have seen a few 1996 -97 NISSAN SKYLINE ECR33 SERIES II GTS going for just under $10k

They have all done roughly 85k-105k km.

1)How much do you guys think it need to set aside for major service and what would need being done (All belts i guess)

2)What is a short throw shift kit (Anything to do with short shifting setup, should i stay away from it?)

3)Since i will be well under budget, how much would it roughly cost to do exausts and if they are worth doing it in a NA R33.

thanks guys

thank god someone said it.

how can you even compare the 2?

I can guarantee that the NA 2.5L R34 weighing MORE than the WRX will be slower and heavier on the juice and more boring than the WRX in every way possible.

If you can legally drive a turbo car, you'd be crazy to get a non turbo Skyline.

99-00 wrx is probably the best of the classic shape rexies.

there is nothing an NA skyline of any kind has over a wrx.

If you have $15K to spend, you could get a really good quality series 2 R33 GTST.

why not go down that path if you want a skyline.

i agree with above!

shouldn't be comparing na r34 with a wrx.

If you were to mod it as well you get so much more bang for ya buck with a turbo car then a n/a

If you're comparing a r33 gts-t with the wrx, it would come down to preference.

- wrx would be more composed in the wet since it's awd, but if you like having the ass out the r33 will be in favour

- wrx is laggier then a r33 stock for stock?(i think thats right not sure)

- wrx have stock buckets as well as 4 doors

- wrx is aus delivered and r33 is a grey import this will affect who you can insure with

theres more but these are some things you can consider if your deciding between the 2.

might as well get the turbo r34 mate. fuel wont make that much of a difference between NA 34 and turbo 34.

fuel consumption is based on how heavy ur foot is on the pedal.

GTT: you can get 400kms out one tank with normal driving. averaging around 12.5l.100km on most occasions.

i managed to get 500kms in one tank driving one way from castle hill(sydney) to wagga wagga. thats spooling abit too.

I would think, with optimal highway driving with keeping revs at about 2.5k revs, speedlimit you could push 550kms

r34 types:

GT (non turbo)

GTX (non turbo)

GTV (non turbo)

GTT (turbo)

GTR (turbo...ftw)

Edited by JI34GT

Thanks for your responses guys.

I was gonna get a WRX but after driving a non turbo skyline i liked the space in the car and although it was 2 door, the rear seats had ample room.

Iam now really thinking of a Skyline non turbo, getting extractors and cold air intake etc. I know its not going to be a WRX but i love the idea of rear wheel drive.

I have a neighbor who has a R32 Skyline turbo and he says he averages 15 liters per 100km. He pretty much drives the same route as me etc so not really interested in a turbo skyline.

Plus a non turbo skyline is cheaper to buy and insure than a WRX. Only probs i can see is with access to spare parts etc.

I was gonna get a WRX but after driving a non turbo skyline i liked the space in the car and although it was 2 door, the rear seats had ample room.

Iam now really thinking of a Skyline non turbo, getting extractors and cold air intake etc. I know its not going to be a WRX but i love the idea of rear wheel drive.

I have a neighbor who has a R32 Skyline turbo and he says he averages 15 liters per 100km. He pretty much drives the same route as me etc so not really interested in a turbo skyline.

Plus a non turbo skyline is cheaper to buy and insure than a WRX. Only probs i can see is with access to spare parts etc.

Plus you don't have to wear your cap backwards and say "Full SIK mate" in a Skyline.

lol 15ltrs..wonder where he pulled that number from.

Ive been logging my petrol consumption for the past 2 years on my r32 gtst.

157kw at the wheels, standard ecu and your usual bolt on mods.

I drive in the morning peak hour and the afternoon peak hour and my car occasionally stretches its legs.

Average fuel consumption of 11.9Ltrs/100km

If you drive any turbo car smoothly you will get great economy, dont just base your car purchase on just fuel consumption because you will quickly get bored of it..

119zp3.jpg

I drive in the morning peak hour and the afternoon peak hour and my car occasionally stretches its legs.

Average fuel consumption of 11.9Ltrs/100km

Nice fuel consumption on your car mate. Every time i see this i think i should get a turbo skyline. Its just that this cars take 98octane so keep thinking at the back of my mind it may cost a bit to drive around.

He said about 15litres but he does have extra boost (or some word he used) and different fuel pumps etc and computer.

Anyway i am really going to look into the Skyline turbos. 12litres doesnt sound too bad.

Any idea what revs the RPM kicks in. Something to consider in stop go driving.

Edited by ppshy1

Just stick with the corolla man..

if you are going to be so tight about fuel consumption and this is obviously your first turbo car after the above comment, you are going to be driving the ring off any car you get, and therefore the fuel consumption above of 11/100km is never going to be seen by you.

If you want cheap, low fuel, rwd car, get a CA18det or sr20det powered Silvia or 180sx.

they will use less fuel than the skyline and be turbo and rwd and lighter to boot.

why not 4agte your current car?

or you want fast and cheap, get a EP81 starlet.

or a 4agze AW11 MR2.

MR2 is rwd and supercharged.

A non turbo with extractors, exhaust and intake will still be a slow hunk of crap and you will spend your days wishing you bought a turbo one.

then try to sell it to buy a turbo one only to find that you were the only clown that wanted a non turbo skyline.

and end up selling it to some noob P-plater for FAAAAAAAAAAAR less then you paid for it.