SAU Community

ppshy1

Hi guys,

i am getting a R33/34(prefer34) NA RB25DE Skyline. I am 24 so turbo rule doesn't apply to me. i want something cheaper to run (than a turbo) but with descent performance and handling compared to Falcon and Commodores.

First thing i will do is get good rubber if not there already.

1)Am i able to rev the engine to say 5000revs a few times a week without harming engine. (Will get services done every 5000km etc)

2)Looking for some upgrades when I get the car. How much would better suspension set me back.

3)Would i get any extra KW aftergetting extractors and Exaust installed. How much will i be looking to spend.

4)How hard is it to find parts for this car e.g. timing belts, brake pads etc

And my last question may sound very supid, dumb, childish and idiotic but please bare with me (you can have a laugh)

I love the idea of seeing those red brake caliper on cars that can be seen through the alloy wheels, you know like the Brembo ones. Is there anything you can get to make that effect happen. Seen most R33/34's have the Black Nissan caliper.

thanks guys.

Edited by ppshy1

1)Am i able to rev the engine to say 5000revs a few times a week without harming engine. (Will get services done every 5000km etc)

Yes you can, they're decent twincam engines and don't mind revving, they sound best over 5000rpm anyway :P Seriously my car will often see the rev limit, it's governed anyway to a safe level.

2)Looking for some upgrades when I get the car. How much would better suspension set me back.

If you want to do the suspension get a complete handling pack from whiteline...current prices are on their site

3)Would i get any extra KW aftergetting extractors and Exaust installed. How much will i be looking to spend.

Yes you will for sure, cost is open ended really. You can get cheaper exhaust put together or see someone for a full custom job ($2000+)

Very easy, Nissan stock most parts, Nissan NZ are the most helpful though....realistically all places like Supercheap and Autobarn will have what you need, including caliper paint to get those red calipers :P

Thanks guys,

About the brake caliper paint i found a DIY on this site. Got to find a weekend to do it and get drunk while painting it.

1)I went to a dealer today and talked to 2 car owners from Car Sales and they are running either 95 Octane or 91. I thought only 98 could be run on this cars.

2)Some guy has short throw shift gear in his car. what does this do and am i able to remove it.

3)I saw 3 cars in total so far and one had Maxxis tyres and one Bob Jane Performance tyres. They any good or will i have to change straight away.

cheers

it is safe to run 98 all the time....

depends how much you love your car i guess

they are tuned in japan to run 100 octane...am i right guys?

my cousin use to fill 95 in his 34, and then run 98 once a month.

Absolutely not a problem! My car sees that several times a week. Perhaps more.. depends if I decide to go for a spirited drive or not.

As long as there is regular maintanence performed and there isnt any pre-existing mechanical problems with the engine than its absolutely not a problem

Well what are you looking at getting?

Best bang for buck in terms of suspention is sway bars. These will stiffen the chassis up, lessen body roll through corners and (if you buy the adjustable ones) let you change the mount of under/oversteer the car exhibits. These will set you back $400 odd.

Front strut bar is almost a must! R34's come stock with them. Rear strut bur is not essential as there isnt a massive gain to be had.

From there you can get:

New springs and Shocks (dunno price)/Coilovers (1200+ new - $1500 for a good set) - I suggest this only if you intend doing track days or heavy mountain road driving

New bushes - $100-$200 gives a more direct steering feel and steering responce

I have a feeling I missed something

Not really a suspention mod, but to get the best out of your suspention I highly recomend a good driving seat.

Extractors - $350-$400 odd

Exhaust - $300 odd (second hand) $600 (new)

Extra KW? dont bother. not much. You will gain some responce and better exhaust note though

very easy.

Nothing like cold beers while working on the car :cool:

Enjoy it