SAU Community

Thailand!

Omurru

I'm planning a trip to Thailand early next year with a few friends, I know alot of people on here have been there of late just interested to hear where you stayed and what you thought of it. Looking for resorts in Phuket and hotels in Bangkok.

I'm planning a trip to Thailand early next year with a few friends, I know alot of people on here have been there of late just interested to hear where you stayed and what you thought of it. Looking for resorts in Phuket and hotels in Bangkok.

I haven't there myself, going for new years and full moon party in January. Been told by a few of my mates that Koh Samui is much better than Phuket, if your interested.

When are you thinkin of going?

How much you looking to spend and do etc etc? I could plan a two week holiday for ya easily.

Bangkok, you can stay in decent places for $40 AUD a night and the rooms would be double your bedroom with great comfy beds so its cheap as shit and right in the middle of the action along Sukhumvhit Rd. Sukhumvhit Rd is where all the action is in my book (its a very long road like say warrigal road but with 6-8 lanes), bars, gogo-bars/dart shows, night markets, sky train, shopping centers, suit shops (can recommend a good one) and lots of food & massage places even dry cleaning etc to get ya closed washed and they are all off the main rd.

The area is about a 350-400bhat taxi ride, about $12 from the airport (20-60mins depending on time of day).

Also there are some great clubs Bed Supper Club is crazy

http://www.bedsupperclub.com/

Koh Samui i wasnt a fan of overall in terms of night life, was a bit dead as you'd ideally go to Koh Phangan for a full moon party or something... but then depends what your there for. Its very relaxing/tourist/resort kinda thing if thats what your after, but MUCH more expensive than Bangkok for just about everything.

The diving off Koh Samui was simply amazing, was a good 45mins boat trip, but worth it even if you dont have your divers ticket (i didnt and did a quick day course down there). As long as your not a total goose/knob you'll be right with a 1hr session and limited to 12-15meters which there is still plenty to see.

Siam @ Siam has great opening specials in Bangkok and it's in a great spot too, you can see pics in our thread. You'd need to check if the specials are still available.

Where are you staying in Phuket? It's a big place. Pating beach ooor...? If so try Holiday inn or Patong Merlin.

Bangkok will go something cheap, as were only really going there for the shopping, and the fact the flight goes through there :P In Phuket looking at staying in the Patong Beach area, one of the guys coming seems hell bent on staying there, don't know why really but whatever :D Probably looking to spend about $150-$200 a night there in one of the resorts more so than a hotel, but looking at prices for the time of year were going seems like we'll be spending at least that if not more.

i just came back - the best tailor in Phuket is S-Boss in the market place just opposite Holiday Inn Patong.

I stayed in the Merlin Beach Resort, it was friggin amazing, 10 nights for AUD$585, pure luxury 5 star resort, awesome.

I will say one thing, hire a scooter in Patong, you will not regret it, just make sure you go the guy out the front of the Hungry Jacks (in front of the Indian place with the big red sign) he has a few new R1's and heaps of scooters. Go over the scooter with a fine tooth comb noting damage down with him and that's it. He will ask for your passport as deposit, say no and offer him $100 AUD, he will note down the serial numbers of the notes you give him and all is sweet. You should be able to get the scooter for about $150 baht per day max (which is about $5 bucks) and you will save heaps in taxi fares.

Bangkok is great too, I highly recommend the Grand Mercure on Park Ave, cheap but luxurious and walking distance to everything - make sure you check out soi cowboy

• 2 years later...

Phuket is a hole. Plain and simple. Party life is great, but really I could only spend a few nights there....DEFINITELY not a week

Koh Samui is much better, but its WAY more relaxed. Dont expect there to be a great night life as its mainly a resort island.

Basically if you want to party - Phuket is ok, but i would say Bangkok is way better

if you want to relax, Koh Samui is awesome... Im going back in January.

Try and get as close to Bangla Road as possible,

you'll spend alot of time partying it up there at nights. Also dont be put off by the thought of 3.5 star places, I stayed at the Club Andaman Resort and it was the equivalent of a 5 star back here in OZ. Absolute palace! Apparently it has something to do with cheap labour affecting the ratings. Also pack light, you'll be in tank tops and shorts the whole time which you can score off the street for around $5 (tanks) and $20ish (shorts).

http://www.clubandaman.com/

Edited by TUFF_350

Bangkok is awesome for eating, shopping and partying. Tough to beat it for a value for money city.

If you want a nice hotel to stay, I recommend Siam @ Siam. Very comfy, nice pool and very relaxing. Only drawback was the lift was suuuuuuper slow which is a bit annoying during peak times.

If you want something cheap and budget, I've stayed at Imperial Tara which is in the Sukhumvit area which Ash has mentioned is the biggest touristy and party areas. It's very close to the MRT station too so if you want to catch public transport, it's a cinch. Taxis and scooter taxis are super cheap too so it's up to you which you want to use. Traffic in Bangkok sucks the cack so sometimes the MRT is actually faster.

What you want to do in Phuket will dictate where you stay. If you want to go out at night and party till things close, you will stay in or close to Patong. I've stayed at Holiday Inn but had a Busakorn Wing room as it has it's own private pool away from general population. It's about a 10 min walk to Banglor Rd so it's just far away enough that you don't have too many drunks making noise in the area. You may also want to consider Courtyard Marriot - Patong Beach which is across the road from the Holiday Inn. I've also stayed at Sheraton Phuket but that's a good 30 min drive from Patong because on those trips, I went with family and wanted a total rancho relaxo experience.

Renting scooters/motorbikes/cars etc are at your own risk. They make up their own rules there and if you do hire a vehicle, check it front to back, top to bottom and take photos of any existing damage, scratches, dents etc before you take it away because I guarantee if you bring it back and they see a "new" scratch on it, you WILL pay for it one way or the other. Contracts mean nothing over there and your repair bill will be whatever their mate wants to charge you. If you think you can call the cops coz you're being ripped off, think twice. You're the foreigner there. How do I know this? First hand experience.