SAU Community

Personal Import Of R35 Gtr

Blackmagic88

Good to see that Nissan Australia is finally going to make the R35 GTR avail in Aus from Apr 09. A$173,000 for the Premium Ed isnt really so bad.

I have had a JDM spec R35 for the past 6 months (yes road registered but not in Australia as I currently live in Asia). When i eventually return to Aus in 2-3 years time, will I be able to import my GTR into the country as a personal import? Does anyone know what i will have to pay in taxes?

On the warranty by Nissan Australia, I wouldnt really be that concerned. The typical GTR owner (at least in Asia) doesnt leave his car stock for long at all. Most people slap on an aftermarket exhaust system before too long and of course an aftermarket ECU tweak which deactivates the 180kph speed limiter. As much as Nissan wants people to believe that the car is "special" and that only GTR trained techs can service them, I can tell you that there are literally hundreds of GTRs in HK, Malaysia, Thailand & Singapore and they are ALL serviced/maintained by independent workshops (as the GTR is not officially sold in Asia yet so they are all privately imported or through Parallel Importers).

Hi, as long as it is registered in your name and you keep copies of rego, and receipts etc you can import it to aus as a personal import no problem. You will have to pay 10% import duty, and 10% GST on the 'value' of the car and the shipping costs. You will also have to pay luxury car tax if the vehicle is worth more than $57,180 (that tax is 25% of any amount over the $57,180 threshold).

In 2-3 years time you should be able to argue that it's value is around the $70,000 mark or less. but that will also depend heavily on how much you originally paid for it in this country you call Asia...