SAU Community

changing water pump rb20

Guest boosted s13

Guest boosted s13

just wanting some info onchanging the water pump in my rb20...? i know a bit bot cars but i neva ever come across a water pump problem and i am stumped!!! please help with advise or any info you can on changing this..... thanks

i used a VL RB30ET water pump, you need a rattle gun to put the crank pulley bolt back on or else youll be in trouble.

other than that its just a process of pulling the radiator, fan and belts off - have a look on the net as theres some documenation on the RB20 engine which may be of use.

• 4 years later...

its fairly easy once you get all the covers and harmonic balancer off, if you've changed a timing belt yourself you should be able to do a water pump.

any1 knwo where a guide for this is ? also, if i dont have a rattle gun how can i undo and do up the pulley at the bottom of the motor to get the lower half of the cam cover off

put the car in reverse, get someone to put thier foot on the brake, and use a long breaker bar. there is another way buy putting a big screw driver in somewhere but i dont know that one.

Edited by QWK32

put the car in reverse, get someone to put thier foot on the brake, and use a long breaker bar.

NO!!!!

You need the fastest gear in the box, not the slowest.

Unfortunately 5th is a relatively weak gear as it drives via the layshaft.

The strongest and fastest gear therefore is 4th (direct).

NO!!!!

You need the fastest gear in the box, not the slowest.

Unfortunately 5th is a relatively weak gear as it drives via the layshaft.

The strongest and fastest gear therefore is 4th (direct).

oh ok. the only reason i use reverse is so the car doesn't move forward onto me :(

will the car stay still if you use 4th?

will the car stay still if you use 4th?

You're not thinking it through.

If you select say 1st or reverse, it's dead easy to crank the engine through the brakes.

Select 4th and the brakes at least have a chance of holding, and most importantly it's the strongest gear.

You're not thinking it through.

If you select say 1st or reverse, it's dead easy to crank the engine through the brakes.

Select 4th and the brakes at least have a chance of holding, and most importantly it's the strongest gear.

yeah, i realised that after i posted. cheers.

Its a good way to learn more about the car if you do it yourself, just make sure you do the timing belt properly.

yea id go the breaker bar. try putting heaps of wd 40 on the harmonic balancer bolt the night before to losen up the bolt a little. yea put it in 4th and rip up the handbrake and it will do the trick.

And QWK32, im pretty sure with the screwdriver trick thingy u need to take the starter motor off and u have to jam it in somewhere to lock up the gearbox. Its how you are supposed to do it in the skyline manual.

I personally wouldnt go RB30E pump.

They are NOT the same, and from what Ive seen with people using them on RB20's they have caused cavitation and therefore temp issues.

For the money atleast get a proper genuine RB20 pump for the extra $50 its cheaper than replacing a cooked engine....

Personally Next time I get a water pump Im going N1 for the price they look the goods.....sit one side by side with a stocker and you will see what I mean.

An RB20 may not be as special as a 25 or 26 but TLC does not go un noticed with any engine :D

breaker bar, crank it over and it will loosen itself on the chassis rail...

not the ideal way of doing it, but it works...

i was waiting for someone to sagest this.

also what about select a gear and put a secew driver in one of the tail shaft universals levered against the floor. that should hold it all still.

I personally wouldnt go RB30E pump.

They are NOT the same, and from what Ive seen with people using them on RB20's they have caused cavitation and therefore temp issues.

For the money atleast get a proper genuine RB20 pump for the extra $50 its cheaper than replacing a cooked engine....

Personally Next time I get a water pump Im going N1 for the price they look the goods.....sit one side by side with a stocker and you will see what I mean.

An RB20 may not be as special as a 25 or 26 but TLC does not go un noticed with any engine :D

i looked into putting an N1 pump on my 20 a year or so ago and was advised that the N1 pump is designed for higher reving track work and can cause a car to over heat in city trafic as the dont circulate enough water at low rpm. track work ideal but not dayly driver.

im sure you can get a genuine nissan rb20 water pump for around $100 out of nissan but that my have been trade price.