SAU Community

Gt-r Dealership Agreement

smashedhat

Just received this letter explaining the relationship your likely to have with the dealership in buying an aus spec GT-R. Particularly interesting is the data recorder section "The Vehicle Data Recorded in the vehicle is used to perform and administer warranty repairs and is capable of recording the vehicle's operating conditions and monitoring component wear. There is an event data recorder which records crash data in the event of a crash." I wonder if they will ever give us a straight answer over what exact conditions will void warranty or whether it will be a discretion based system. If so IMO its putting a rather large amount of power in the hands of the dealership to which there doesn't appear to be any recourse in the event of a warranty dispute.

IMPORTANT Nissan GT-R Information

Prior to finalizing your order to purchase a Nissan GT-R it is important that you

understand that the Nissan GT-R is a low production, high performance sports car which

has been designed and manufactured to maximize its performance capabilities.

Therefore, the Nissan GT-R offers unique capabilities but also has unique characteristics

that are intrinsic to the GT-R's normal operation that are outside of or different to most

other vehicles. Owning one therefore requires additional and special consideration and

understanding regarding the GT-R's characteristics, service and maintenance

requirements, driving and operation.

Vehicle Sale

Because availability of the Nissan GT-R may be limited, there is a potential that you will

experience a delay between placing an order for a vehicle and taking receipt of it.

Depending on the duration of the delay, it is possible that there may be changes in the

specifications of your vehicle, or availability of colors and features,

While there may be changes in final Recommended Retail Price (RRP) pricing of your

vehicle, in accordance with state law your actual purchase price will be determined by

your selling dealer and subject to your contract(s) with your selling dealer.

Vehicle Operations

Before operating your vehicle or contacting your dealership with concerns

regarding your vehicle's operations, you should carefully read your Owner's

Manual, Nissan GT-R Warranty Information and Maintenance Booklet for

necessary additional information concerning the proper operation, operational

characteristics (including different types of sounds, noises or wear which are

normal for this vehicle) and service and maintenance requirements.

Because the Nissan GT-R is a high performance sports car, some of the vehicle's

systems operate differently and exhibit different characteristics than less sophisticated

vehicles. For example (not intended as an exhaustive list – please refer to your owner's

manual):

1. Alignment

o The Nissan GT-R alignment specification includes two settings; one for high

performance and the other for normal street driving. All vehicles are delivered to

the customer with the high performance setting, which improves handling

characteristics but will reduce tire tread life, increase noise and accelerate

uneven tire wear. The normal street setting is recommended for every day

driving to extend tire tread life. The GT-R Special maintenance program will

provide an opportunity to adjust the setting to your preference at the time of your

initial visit.

2. Brakes

o The brake system is designed for and uses materials which enhance maximum

performance under a wide range of operating conditions. Brake sounds such as

squeaks and squeals during any operation are to be expected on this vehicle;

this characteristic is intrinsic to this vehicle and cannot be eliminated. The rate of

pad and rotor wear may also be greater than you have experienced on other

vehicles.

3. Suspension

o The suspension and tyres are unique to the Nissan GT-R and are designed and

calibrated for maximum road performance, not to deliver a premium luxury ride.

As a result, there will be more, different, and louder sounds and a harsher road

feel than with other vehicles. This condition is normal and to be expected.

Different road surfaces will increase or moderate the road noise.

4. Transmission

o The sequential 6-speed dual clutch transmission is more similar to a racing

manual transmission than a typical automatic transmission when operating or

idling in neutral. You will likely hear pronounced mechanical sounds from the

transmission, particularly at slow speeds and at idle. This condition is normal.

o This vehicle is equipped with hill start assist. This system automatically keeps

the brakes applied to help prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards in the time

it takes to release the brake pedal and apply the accelerator pedal when the

vehicle is stopped on a hill. Hill assist is designed to hold the vehicle for only a

short period of time and is not a substitute for proper driving technique.

5. Fuel Filler

o When filling the Nissan GT-R with fuel, do not top up the fuel tank after the

automatic shutoff activates. It is possible that spills will occur should the fuel tank

continue to be filled beyond the automatic shut-off.

6. Vehicle "Run-In" Period

o The Nissan GT-R requires a special run-in schedule to obtain maximum engine

performance and to ensure the future reliability and maximized economy of your

new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened

engine life, reduced engine performance, or repairs not covered by the Nissan

warranty.

Special Maintenance & Warranty

The Nissan GT-R is specially designed and engineered to maximize its performance

capabilities and has unique features and service requirements requiring specially trained

technicians and some specialized equipment. All warranty repairs may only be

completed at an approved Nissan High Performance Centre, and it is highly

recommended that all services also be performed by a certified GT-R dealer.

1. Warranty

o All warranty repairs can only be undertaken at a Nissan High Performance

Centre. Repairs carried out elsewhere may not be covered by Nissan's express

warranty.

o It is highly recommended that services are carried out at a Nissan High

Performance Centre.

2. Delivery

o Your GT-R's proper operation, including its engine and suspension settings, was

specially tested by Nissan after production. Your vehicle will therefore be

delivered with some kilometres on the odometer.

3. Special Maintenance Service

o In addition to the regular periodic maintenance recommended by Nissan in the

owner's handbook, the Nissan GT-R requires the following special inspections to

be completed at a Nissan High Performance Centre at the assigned intervals:

? Measurement and adjustment of wheel alignment

? Engine settings

? Transmission settings

o These inspections are required at the following intervals: 1000 km; 12 months;

24 months and 36 months. As set out in the GT-R Warranty Information

Booklet, these services will be completed free of charge

4. Maintenance Costs

o As a high performance sports car, the cost of maintaining the Nissan GT-R

(parts and labor costs) will be higher than many other vehicles. Among those

requirements are:

? The VR38 engine, with its plasma-sprayed bores, was developed using

Mobil 1 0W-40 (100% synthetic) motor oil. This oil should be used to

ensure proper engine operation and durability.

? The VDC unit and other related parts were specially designed for Brake

Fluid R35 special DOT4. This brake fluid should be used to ensure the

best performance and proper operation of the vehicle.

? Genuine Nissan Transmission Oil R35 Special (100% synthetic) is unique

to the Nissan GT-R and was specially developed to maximize the friction

characteristics of the clutch and the lubrication of the gear bearings. The

use of additives is prohibited.

To efficiently convey the high power to each axle and protect the vehicle's

Mechanical Limited Slip Differential, high viscosity gear oil SAF-SJ 75s -140

differential fluid is applied.

o Please note the coolant mixture impacts cooling performance and freezing

temperature.

5. Brakes

o The Nissan GT-R's rotors are cross-drilled with six-piston front and four-piston

rear floating calipers, helping to achieve excellent stopping performance and fade

resistance. The rotors are not designed to be machined, therefore, all four sets

of brake pads and rotors should be replaced at the same time. This is normal

maintenance for this vehicle.

6. Tires

o The Nissan GT-R is equipped with high performance, low profile, run-flat tires

that are optimized for performance and handling. The life of these tires will be

less than those of a typical vehicle, especially when the high performance

alignment setting is used; but reduced tire tread life and tire noises are likely

regardless of the alignment setting. In many situations it may be necessary to

replace all four tires if one tire is replaced.

7. Body Repairs

o Due to the types of materials used for the body and given the precise assembly

of the vehicle, body damage requiring certain repairs will need to be completed at

a GT-R Certified body shop. Your Nissan High Performance Centre can direct

you to a qualified body shop. Because of the specialized body repair

requirements, it may not be unusual for the nearest GT-R Certified body shop to

be a considerable distance from either the Nissan High Performance Centre or

your current location, requiring additional vehicle transport at your expense.

Additionally, repair times for body work may require more time than you may

have experienced with other vehicles.

8. Data Recorders

o The Vehicle Data Recorded in the vehicle is used to perform and administer

warranty repairs and is capable of recording the vehicle's operating conditions

and monitoring component wear. There is an event data recorder which records

crash data in the event of a crash.

Manufacturer's Warranty

Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R

warranty provides you with extensive coverage including for proper operation in

accordance with the Owners Manual, but your warranty excludes coverage for racing.

The warranty also includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and

limitations, which include (but are not limited to):

o Failures resulting from not adhering to the service, operation and maintenance

requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner's Manual and the Service and

Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine

Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids.

o Failures resulting from improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other

than Nissan High Performance Centres;

o Failures resulting from failing to have the GT-R Special Maintenance Services

timely completed;

o Failures resulting from the fitment and use of Genuine NISMO performance parts

or non-Genuine Nissan Parts.

Time of Order or Sale Acknowledgment

I, _______________________, hereby acknowledge that I have carefully (Customer's Name)

read all of the written information contained in this document concerning

the Nissan GT-R prior to me entering into a binding agreement to purchase

a Nissan GT-R.

Reviewed by: Acknowledged by:

______________________________ ___________________________

Customer Signature & date) (Dealership Sales Executive & date)

...There is an event data recorder which records

crash data in the event of a crash...

which the police investigators will find very handy should you bin it on one of your early-morning togue runs...

Failures resulting from the fitment and use of Genuine NISMO performance parts

or non-Genuine Nissan Parts.

Wow there is the best reason for Nismo parts, it specifically lists them as voiding warranty...

post-26910-1223112040_thumb.jpg

Wtf, they wont let you put nismo parts on?

Thats a bit strange considering the quality of parts.

Although recently nissan au lost the contract to supply nismo parts - sucked in nissan, i hope your revenue suffers. (This is straight from a dealership)

If you think this one is bad look up the Veyron agreement!

To me there is nothing too bad in that agreement. Most of it is information to help buyers understand what they are getting.

The only thing is says really is to keep your warranty you MUST do the 1000km, 12,24 and 36 month service at Nissan (others required services are just recommended at Nissan but not required), you can't moddify the car (all cars are like that) and you can't RACE the car (*you can take it to the track however. There is a difference).

Its pretty much like that for any car, a guy I know was drifting his XR6 Turbo a few years back at Symmons Plains and a head honcho from ford australia happened to be driving past the track, saw it and wrote down his VIN and put a nationwide void on warranty for it.

Even little things like fitment of lowered king springs and aftermarket wheels can void warranty, so im not at all surprised at the GT-R having these kind of terms.

Ive never purchased a new expensive sports car from a dealer before, but do porsche, amg, bmw etc also present the buyer with this type of dealership agreement?

I've owned several 911s and more recently an E92 M3, and none of the dealerships had agreements like this. You simply bought the car and that was it. I was considering the GT-R but this dealership agreement requirement is a little off-putting - makes them look like they don't really want to sell it.

I reckon they're trying to scare off as many racer types from buying them and are wanting cafe cruising fudge packers to buy them instead. Makes sense from a business/warranty claim viewpoint.

It's not as if they won't sell every one they can get their hands on anyway.....

LOL. I just read that agreement to the letter,

UMmm to put it in layman term, the GTR pretty much doesnt come with any sort of warranty. that doco above an what ever the hell is in the owner manual, will leave Nissan enough roon to deny any warranty clim if they want.

To me it does sound like they are having suspect mechanical issues and are out to cover there arses.

I know that Ferrari and Posches dont even dare to wave anything remotely close to that contract agreement above at their clients, and for Nissan to do it is one brave move or just doing it out of desperation.

UMmm to put it in layman term, the GTR pretty much doesnt come with any sort of warranty

and of course that is legally incorrect, and it is probably illegal for nissan to suggest it so strongly in the letter.

The fair trading act in NSW (and equivalents in all other states) requires that goods must be warranted as being fit for the purpose they are sold for.

So if nissan shows pics of cars racetracks in their advertising, sells it based on nurbugring lap times with viral marketing campaigns, puts "Race" mode buttons on the dash and then denies a claim because someone used it in the way they advertise I think they will be in for a surprise. Even sillier if they call a model "track" like they did in the 350z.

I still don't get what the fuss is about?? Am I missing something?

Most of it is INFORMATION such as:

The Nissan GT-R's rotors are cross-drilled with six-piston front and four-piston

rear floating calipers, helping to achieve excellent stopping performance and fade

resistance. The rotors are not designed to be machined, therefore, all four sets

of brake pads and rotors should be replaced at the same time. This is normal

maintenance for this vehicle.

Ok so it tells me that when it comes time to replace rotors you'll probably need to replace all 4. As I said that is just "information" and nothing to do with warranty. There is other information to tell you which is the right fluids / oils to use and thats not a bad thing to know!

Again - gearbox noise. How many people here have driven a high speed DCT gearbox before? I'm guessing most people who buy one of these things haven't so letting people know beforehand that they "clunk" especially 1st-2nd is just information on what you can expect.

Again the "track" stuff I had clarified by Nissan today. The disclaimer states "The Nissan GT-R

warranty provides you with extensive coverage including for proper operation in

accordance with the Owners Manual, but your warranty excludes coverage for racing."

What that means is if you have a competition number on your car. It does NOT mean attending a race track. Nissan will even be putting 2 track days a year per state on for owners. I mean when you order the car you have to state whether you want the camber set up for track or street. Again if you want it set up for track there is another disclaimer to state you know the inner edges of the tyres will wear faster.

For me this document is just Nissans way of making sure buyers know what they are getting before the thing arrives and people suddenly start whinging at what it takes to maintain something this technically advanced. Maybe it's because there is nothing in there that I don't already kinda follow with the R34 - except I'm substituting Nissan Performance Centre with Racepace (who incidently doesn't offer me a warranty when racing either! LOL)

So a club sprint rules out the car as you have a number on your window? Yet do a open practice day where the car seems more laps and track time is ok. COOL :) But its all BS anyway, it stresses the car has a performance wheel alignment etc etc yet put the car in an environment where it can be used and you void the warranty :P They should just use the data logger to ensure that revs, boost and warning sensors (temps) etc have not been exceeded in the use and subsequent damage to the car.

But meh, it is all std issue stuff. No manufacturer truly sells a sports car that they will warranty for track work. I would love to know what they are going to sting you for the mandatory servicing.

Its pretty much like that for any car, a guy I know was drifting his XR6 Turbo a few years back at Symmons Plains and a head honcho from ford australia happened to be driving past the track, saw it and wrote down his VIN and put a nationwide void on warranty for it.

wow- he managed to spot the VIN from that distance, and through a closed bonnet and all :P

must have really been taking his vitamin C tablets. lol

Ive never purchased a new expensive sports car from a dealer before, but do porsche, amg, bmw etc also present the buyer with this type of dealership agreement?

When BMW sold the E46 M3 CSL, they made buyers sign an agreement acknowledging that the R-Comps on the car had very little grip in cold /wet conditions, and BMW would take no responsibility if they slid off the road and crashed.

I don't know what Porsche is like with its R-Comp shod models.

So a club sprint rules out the car as you have a number on your window? Yet do a open practice day where the car seems more laps and track time is ok. COOL :( But its all BS anyway, it stresses the car has a performance wheel alignment etc etc yet put the car in an environment where it can be used and you void the warranty :) They should just use the data logger to ensure that revs, boost and warning sensors (temps) etc have not been exceeded in the use and subsequent damage to the car.

But meh, it is all std issue stuff. No manufacturer truly sells a sports car that they will warranty for track work. I would love to know what they are going to sting you for the mandatory servicing.

the Mitsubishi dealership in Mitcham VIC do when u buy an evo from them their warranty covers for the track days that they hold I think they hold about 4 per year in VIC which is very good. Nissan should do the same instead of selling a car with all this hype and then telling u u have to drive it like a grandma so as u dont void the warranty.