SAU Community

Defect List For Sa

Core666

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makes me lol when people drive their cars on the street and just cruising around then let their turbo timer stay on for a few minutes, its so pointless, unless your hills thrashing or on the track ya turbo's just wont get that hot.

i had one on my first car a while ago when turbo timers weren't known and i loved it! when i park up next to the ladies and i turn it off but it's still running they come up to me and tell me my cars is still running and i strike and pose with a french accent and say, oh my doesn't matter because it's the way my car works baby, it's always TURNED ON! :thumbsup: ok it might have gone down like that but it was a good conversation starter

but it was a bit of a wank factor i guess

I got one on the DR, its one you can turn on and off...So its hardly ever turned on and i hardly ever use it, even when i do use it im standing near the car anyways so its kinda pointless exercise haha!!

I don't really see a point to using em really, like has been said if you can't drive your car with mechanical sympthay for the last km or so then you should just give the car away

I've got one built into my alarm but you can't set it for anything under a minute which makes it pointless.

The Nissan Skyline manual for a 32 GTR even says "If you've been driving at 100k's an hour for over 30 minutes, when you come to stop, leave your engine running for 30 seconds"

I've got one built into my alarm but you can't set it for anything under a minute which makes it pointless.

The Nissan Skyline manual for a 32 GTR even says "If you've been driving at 100k's an hour for over 30 minutes, when you come to stop, leave your engine running for 30 seconds"

Ive got one built in also, and its set to the lowest setting. quite frankly i quite like it... if its a cold morning and im stopping at the corner shop before cruising onto someone else, i dont mind the tt letting the car warm up :D As long as the car is in line of sight... I generally dont let it run when im out of visual/audible range... and the keyfob lets me cut the ignition at any point, so i generally hit it while walking away from the car... fixed turbo timers are a bit of a bore but I quite like mine

-D

In the case of a major accident where your vehicle is disabled, and you are trapped in said vehicle, the turbo timer will in most cases keep the fuel pump running to ensure that you and your passengers are killed by the resulting Turbo Timer fed fuel inferno - in the instance the initial impact didnt get you in the first place :)

As I tell anyone that asks, if you cant drive quietly for the last 1km or so before you park the car, or cant understand the concept of a cool down lap, you dont have the intelligence and necessary mechanical aptitude to own a turbocharged car. Look at another form of motorised transport rather than adding a Turbo Timer :D

As a side note Turbo Timers are also excellent for car thieves - "Here is my main switched Ignition Wire come get me" :D

I agree that turbo timers are definitely not a necessity .... but, for the car to still be running after an accident, you have to have ALL these 3 things to happen for a correctly installed turbo timer to activate:

- handbrake needs to be engaged

- car has to be in Park/Neutral at the time the ignition is cut

- the keys have to be taken off the 'On' position

Now, in how many accidents do ALL of the above happen? (And they ALL have to happen for a turbo timer to initialise). Answer = none.

As for telling thieves which wire to start the car, 99.9% of stolen vehicles DON'T have turbo timers, yet they figure out how to hotwire them in 2 seconds flat. Somehow I don't think it makes a lick of difference :D

I agree that turbo timers are definitely not a necessity

+1, i had one on my car when i first got it. and ditched it in favour of driving low rpm for the last 2 minutes of driving.

like craig said, its 1 less thing they can defect u for.

interestingly one of the guys i went to tafe with had a 180sx with a factory turbo timer :D

I got defected for not having a tyre placard and for having a standard blow off valve...

cop also thought my pod filter was a boost controller and told me that he possibly saved my life by taking a defective car off the road..

it is getting beyond a joke... we either need police with proper training or a seperate body that's sole purpose is to deal with road rules, defects etc... like the RTA in sydney. At least that way defects would be more justified and the whole "defect everything, let regency sort them out" attitude can be dropped.

"When selecting aftermarket wheel rims for a motor vehicle, ensure that the offset of the rim does not vary by

more than 13mm from the original rim fitted by the vehicle manufacturer"

i just got my r34 skyline imported and it has a TT installed directly ontop of the steering wheel column.....stupid place to put it i know...

but after reading this thread....its prolly worth disconnecting it and rippin it out...dont ya think?

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of companies that make adr approved cf bonnets. I can't remember if its all carbon or fibeglass with a layer of carbon over the top. A cop would still get ya for it though.

Edit: Had a look at this thread and it be something you'd need to get engineered rather than relying on adr approved products.

In the end they'll give you a defect for what they like so it's more a question of if it will pass regency.

Edited by Eddyfier