SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Just an update for those interested, i have noticed this thread has been a bit quiet of late.

I have sold the 555's and in the process of purchasing SARD 850's (should receive mid next week).

Also purchasing 24psi actuator off a fellow member which i should recieve early next week also.

POD filter has just been bolted back on.

Be interesting to see how it goes holding the 24psi boost with plenty of fuel and air. Adrian will be tuning again.

The sard 850's are bolted in, also replaced the nismo with an intank Bosch 044 (should not need to upgrade fuel system anytime soon). The new actuator has helped hold the boost at 24psi to redline which i'm happy with also.

Couple of minor issues getting sorted yesterday, blocked fuel filter (Ryco=fail) and the copper plugs were struggling with the extra boost. Luckily Adrian had a Genuine fuel filter and iridium plugs on hand (car seems to idle smoother with iridiums also).

After the car was sorted we decided to tune, lets just say i'm more than happy with the end result (grip is an issue).

Next hurdle is to get the power to the ground.

sad news... I finally hit the brick wall with injector size with e85... I ran out at about 365rwkw with Nismo 740cc injectors. Was trying to get it up to 390 - 400 but i could only manage 382rwkw with the mixtures leaning out to .87 at the top end of the dyno run.

I had to empty my tank and fill it with BP98 to get the power at a safe level that i wanted for power cruise - so unfortunatly i will not be running e85 at power cruise.. However i did get a reliable 380rwkw on pump 98 so we are good to go for power cruise.

I would have loved to be able to fly the e85 flag but that brick wall hurt. I was not keen to settle for 360rwkw on 100 duty cycle - I like my engine.

Yes i did check base pressure, there was no room for improvement, my base pressure was at 52psi - was not keen to raise it anymore.

lol. OK.

Not the answer i was looking for though...

I've edited your quote for you

it doesn't matter if you "need" a cat as much as the plod/epa say you look like you have one anyway.
Edited by chrissso

sad news... I finally hit the brick wall with injector size with e85... I ran out at about 365rwkw with Nismo 740cc injectors. Was trying to get it up to 390 - 400 but i could only manage 382rwkw with the mixtures leaning out to .87 at the top end of the dyno run.

I had to empty my tank and fill it with BP98 to get the power at a safe level that i wanted for power cruise - so unfortunatly i will not be running e85 at power cruise.. However i did get a reliable 380rwkw on pump 98 so we are good to go for power cruise.

I would have loved to be able to fly the e85 flag but that brick wall hurt. I was not keen to settle for 360rwkw on 100 duty cycle - I like my engine.

Yes i did check base pressure, there was no room for improvement, my base pressure was at 52psi - was not keen to raise it anymore.

Would be interested to see the E85 (365) map layed over the Pump (380)

Do things start to happen sooner on the E85 tune?

Would be interested to see the E85 (365) map layed over the Pump (380)

Do things start to happen sooner on the E85 tune?

98 does seem to be a bit crisper then e85. But the response is about the same. With E85 there is more room to improve response with the tune cos you can advance the timing more at max torque.

I was running at about 92% injectors with 340rwkw.. i got the car to run 382rwkw with e85 but it was getting leaner and leaner as it reved past 5000rpm - no more fuel left.

For a nice safe e85 tune with 740cc injectors i would say is around 335 - 340rwkw. I wanted more power then this to power cruise so settled to go back to pump where i got 374rwkw on a fat fat tune in case its hot.

yeah the torque was about the same. I did not push e85 too much.. i was more concerned about the fuel issue more then anything. I would rather the engine be running less then 80ish duty with pump 98 with more power instead of running e85 at 100% with less power.

for my car i can safely say that e85 makes less power then BP 98. Because my 740cc injectors are too small.

This make me even happier that I opted for the overkill 910cc Siemens - not that my current exhaust housing/wheel combo' will support 380-400rwkw, but we all know how things usually go :down:

Lee, good luck mate. Stick a top of the range LSD under the rear, get some ET Street Radials on there, dial out as much negative camber on the rear as you can... and it will still struggle. Traction in 4th should be good though.

This make me even happier that I opted for the overkill 910cc Siemens - not that my current exhaust housing/wheel combo' will support 380-400rwkw, but we all know how things usually go :/

Lee, good luck mate. Stick a top of the range LSD under the rear, get some ET Street Radials on there, dial out as much negative camber on the rear as you can... and it will still struggle. Traction in 4th should be good though.

yes. If your running e85, think injector size's as big as as you would run when running methanol or close to it because you need very big injectors, i was kidding myself before thinking that 740cc's would be enough for 400rwkw, I just figured it would be enough.. But then the brick wall came and knocked the shit out of me.

This is the way i work though, i never listen to what anyone says I allways have to go there and do it for myself before i learn a lesson or before i learn anything in that matter. I am no text book learner I can only learn something after doing it myself and then i can very easily work out how it was done, what i should have done and how i can improve it.

Can't fault that logic, GT. Full credit to you for doing the hands-on and giving the rest of us very valuable feed back.

yeah cheers mate :/ it costs a bit to do this kinda stuff too.. Dyno's don't come cheap (even though it does not for me but its still money i fork out) I don't know how much longer I will be doing it for...

If it wasnt for my friends who have Dyno's like Wayne @ Hunter All Wheel Dyno & Anthony Collins I would not have done any of this stuff, they are the ones who sponsor me lol ohhh + the Dirt man helps out too these days

This make me even happier that I opted for the overkill 910cc Siemens - not that my current exhaust housing/wheel combo' will support 380-400rwkw, but we all know how things usually go :/

Matt,

A Kaaz centre is definately on the cards and i will doing everything possible to straighten my wheels up (has a bit of camber because of the coilovers at the moment even after a wheel alignment). Yeah i think your right about traction in fourth, going to struggle no matter what i do in the first three gears me thinks (especially when the cool air comes).

Did you manage to get the 14th free for westys dyno day mate?

Lee