SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Now I know I shouldn't take everything I read on NS.com as gospel :D

.....but I lifted this comment from a recent thread post

"I spoke with a guy at the Mawson Lakes servo, he said the letter the government sent them stated that the government has now classed E85 as a race fuel and dont want young people running their cars on it and getting more power from it, so they banned it from retail sales across Australia.

He told me if I go to the servo, he will happily show me the letter he was sent."

What does this all mean :huh: ........I know go back to my opening comment. :D

Anyone shed any light on this.....

PS I think Mawson Lakes is in SA......but I was never good at Geography.

Edited by juggernaut1

what a load of bullshit. its because the pump's don't meet the standards and only the United service stations have invested the 40 grand per servo for the upgrades.

why would you listen to that bullshit?

ok, i spoke to fuel standards aust today, and the dept of sustainable resources or some shit....

the dealio is...

e85 is legal to sell still, but there is only 1 model of bowser that is legal to use. these are the ones that united have.

it went on sale temporarily in other types of bowsers, but they have now been shut down as the companies producing them will not give assurance on the lines being capable of holding e85

united have 1 servo in melb, 1 in syd, and they are not giving up any info on whether they will be adding more

quoting myself here.....

what a load of bullshit. its because the pump's don't meet the standards and only the United service stations have invested the 40 grand per servo for the upgrades.

why would you listen to that bullshit?

The above quote is from me on Nissansilvia.

I had been running E85 for about 4 months until they stopped stocking it. This is what I was told by one of the guys that work at this servo. I asked about the pump issue and I had heard of the problem being OHS related, he said this was not thet case.

Cheers

Anyway, All Im 100% sure is that I am now missing some power without it.

NOT HAPPY

united on victoria rd in rozelle still have it at the pump

and united hoppers crossing vic....

they have spent the money on the approved pumps, so they will NOT be stopping :(

as a side note guys. the dept of bio fuels have contacted me and want information on what we are doing so they can lobby government :D

i'm gonna quote myself again, but from my e85 thread, as some of you might not be reading it :D

i was on the phone to chris from centreline suspension yesterday and he was telling me how he killed his rotor on the dyno with e85

the car is an 800kg stripped out rx3 (by memory) making a naturally aspirated 330rwkw and is a full drag setup, im talking fuel cell, surge tank etc...

the problem occured when the e85 corroded the rubber fittings in the fuel system and the car leaned out @ 11ty billion revs

we talked about it for a while and worked out that the types of hoses he was using were NOT silicon based.... it seems not to be a problem in skyline fuel systems, but when you go aftermarket, just make sure you run silicon methanol rated equipment i spose....

discuss...

As far as hose choices go Teflon should be the best (although some further investigation into long term-use and thorough testing should be done before i make any statements), and reduces fuel vapour seekage, to me it sounds like a viable choice as it gives you the flexibility of a variety of fuels and eliminating one of the worst factors when it comes to aftermarket hoses.

Can you please clarify if it was the fittings or the hoses?

I think I remember reading somewhere (was a while ago) that there were different requirements for storing E85 in quantity , meaning the underground servo tanks/reservoirs .

It may have had something to do with preventing water or water vapour contaminating the high ethanol content fuel .

So its quite possible that the cost of setting up for E85 goes beyond the pump and hose .

A .

I think I remember reading somewhere (was a while ago) that there were different requirements for storing E85 in quantity , meaning the underground servo tanks/reservoirs .

It may have had something to do with preventing water or water vapour contaminating the high ethanol content fuel .

So its quite possible that the cost of setting up for E85 goes beyond the pump and hose .

A .

Yes.. it costs united 40 grand to setup the tank / pump / servo for E85. no wonder they are in no hurry to upgrade more servo's

Just kinda to recap a bit...

the only downsides so far are...

- availability

- a few more fuel filter changes?

- cleaning the valves a bit more regularly? say every 50,000km or so? i guess i'm using the term "regularly" relatively...

that's it?

i recently was talking to a guy who runs E85 on a rotor, stupid power, stupid boost, insane levels or everything :D He was saying that you can't lean on the timing as much as everyone thinks, and it's not as safe as everyone thinks.

I mentioned there were people who have gained ~50rwkw from just changing to E85, and he said yes but dangerous as most likely done all with timing. I got the impression though that this guy knew some things, but perhaps not everything, even though the impression was he knew pretty much all there is to know about E85, etc. I was dubious given the results some people have had here on SAU with E85...

Now, the percentage of knowledge i have compared to you guys is about 1%, but i thought one of the many benefits of this fuel is to realise more power by advancing the timing, but in safe manner?