SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

is this motor run on pulp too? if so what's it make on that?

i know of a few stock rb25's making 350ish on pulp that are still holding together...

i'd like to shoot for higher figures, but in reality, anywhere i go from here just means lag...

and softer, more expsensive tyres LOL.

my car made 350rwkws (22.5psi) on BP98. 318rwkw on only 17.6psi. Id certainly give 400kw a go with e85, only if it becomes available in my state at the pump tho.

has anyone used e85 on a NA engine without bumping up the compression? how would it work? any ideas?

DO IT... i love tuning turbo hondas for exactly the same reason, super responsive revvy little fkrs.

SOMETHING NO ONE HAS MENTIONED IS OILS AND COMPATIBILITY WITH E85

Consider using oils that are methanol safe. Ive been speaking to a few engine builders and machinist involved in E85 powered race cars (hint) and wear is UP TO 20% FASTER than experienced on "normal " fuels.

So what 'street' oil is suitable for E85?

I've been running E85 is one of my cars for almost 3 years, that's around 80,000 k's and it uses my standard oil for RB's, Castrol Edge 0W60. The usual oil change interval is 8,000 k's and, not that looks is everything, but it comes out of the engine looking much cleaner than it did with Pump98 in the same engine. It also doesn't smell of stale/burnt pertrol.

For the drag cars using methanol I used to change the straight Castrol W50 (now Edge 25W50) every race meeting and I notice the sprint cars guys do the same.

In the race car using E85 I will be sending the most recent drain of Castrol Edge 0W60 to Technical for analysis. Asside from the usual engine condition diagnosis it wil give me some idea of how often to change the oil in it.

Cheers

Gary

Consider using oils that are methanol safe. Ive been speaking to a few engine builders and machinist involved in E85 powered race cars (hint) and wear is UP TO 20% FASTER than experienced on "normal " fuels.

20 % more power = 20% more wear ?

I guess it depends what "normal" fuel they were on before and the power levels.

20 % more power = 20% more wear ?

I guess it depends what "normal" fuel they were on before and the power levels.

No they are getting the same power as they were running sunoco before. I cant post up the details as they wish to stay anonymous. One of the V8 supercar teams we went and did a corporate day with also advised / warned me they have also revised thier O/H strategies for E85 too.

Edited by URAS

Interesting. I would have thought E85 to make at least a little more power then the Sunoco.

Have they given you any idea on what area's are increasing in wear ? piston rings ? bearings ? etc ?

Interesting. I would have thought E85 to make at least a little more power then the Sunoco.

Have they given you any idea on what area's are increasing in wear ? piston rings ? bearings ? etc ?

i consider 10-20rwkw close enough to same @ thier power level.

It tends to be a boutique oil issue, and ive since heard that 300v and E85 issues may be based on one workshops experience (feedback to link) so i might look into the 300v thing abit more.

Just going to throw this out there...

With my motor (SR20DET) I run a 30% toluene mix as the motor was making enough power to trap 131mph in a 1200kg car, and im making 80rwhp more now. If i replaced the toluene with ethanol does anyone have any educated guesses what would happen to:

1. knock resistance

2. power

3. fuel consumption on full load - i.e. would it use more fuel with the ethanol than it does with the toluene on full load

It seems both ethanol and methyl benzine are great knock resisters when added, but now with toluene at around $2L im wondering if it would be smarter making a shift to adding ethanol instead.

Cheers,

Ahmed

is this motor run on pulp too? if so what's it make on that?

i know of a few stock rb25's making 350ish on pulp that are still holding together...

i'd like to shoot for higher figures, but in reality, anywhere i go from here just means lag...

With the current turbo combo it has been tuned to E85 only. TBH cant see him even considering 98 at this stage with E85 available at the pump again in SA.

I hear what you are saying about more power=more lag and for that reason i'm keeping my HKS3037 on my car also at 2.5 litres.

A 3 litre would be nice one day tho with a XR6 turbo 1.06 rear and .7 front. Would make some decent power on E85 i would think (pipe dream at the moment). Or i could tune the BF to E85 and have the 2 tunes on my XCal (pump and E85)could be a cheaper option but a broken daily doesnt sit too well with me.

Edited by RB25DETS2

you will need to re-tune the car. where are you located? i can suggest a tuner with E85 experience

Just going to throw this out there...

With my motor (SR20DET) I run a 30% toluene mix as the motor was making enough power to trap 131mph in a 1200kg car, and im making 80rwhp more now. If i replaced the toluene with ethanol does anyone have any educated guesses what would happen to:

1. knock resistance

2. power

3. fuel consumption on full load - i.e. would it use more fuel with the ethanol than it does with the toluene on full load

It seems both ethanol and methyl benzine are great knock resisters when added, but now with toluene at around $2L im wondering if it would be smarter making a shift to adding ethanol instead.

Cheers,

Ahmed

Do it Ahmed :)

But for the your power level you'll need another fuel pump and bigger injectors.

To give you some idea I get 200km's to a tank of hard driving. 1600cc injectors, 2 x 044's and 503hp @ wheels.

On pump fuel I used to get around 330km's, and about 300km's on my toluene tune (1000cc injectors)

But, cooler water temps, EGT's....car runs beautiful. Can't beat it!!

Ive been using 300V in my engine and is dropped every 2-3k. And before every track day.

Comes out a little milky due to the condensation caused on startup/warm up.

Just got back from J-land with some nice goodies to throw on the car :)

A few gear knobs, Top Secret, Nismo. Some shifter extenders, never seen them before so ill give them a go.

Tomei Trax 2 way LSD

GTR Rocker covers.

HKS Bellmouth, picked up from Garage Saurus, my favorite, looks horn in the engine bay.

There was a titanium one at WELD but they wouldnt sell it, and we threw down alot of money too!