SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Hey guys anyone know if its ok to run Octane booster with E85 - just for a bit of added protection??

Would it affect AFR or the ethanol content?

No need, you have a world of headroom with e85

• 2 weeks later...
WOW Adrian! Good result. Whats your setup again?

cheers Dave

running a 3582 iw with .8 rear, plazmaman plenum, extreme highmount, hybrid cooler, 3 inch dump with seperate gate pipe that merges back into 3 inch half way to cat then 3 inch decat running into 3.5 catback!

got bit lean, that run woulda been holding around 28 psi, spiked to 30, not bad for iw I think.

That was the kind of figure we were shooting for on the dyno the other day.

My cooler, dump or cat is the restriction atm.

390@25psi is still not too bad, but to have 400 is a nice figure :)

I guess you have to stop somewhere, some people run 24 on pump so cant see how a few more on e85 could hurt!

most people are tuning to .85 lambda, works out around 12.5 in unleaded afr's from memory. Lee's (RB25DETS2) I tuned to .80 and it picked up 15+ rwkw going to .85

I wanted the boost capped at 25psi.

AFRs where 11.8

good additude...no point killing it to get a number. Change the set-up and allow the engine to achieve the gain from the improvements made. Although your engine should have no issues running more boost, its understanding what the engine is telling you from the numbers that separates the good tuners from the ones popping engines trying to get an ego boost. Adam is definately one of the good ones. :)

Ive pulled down a big e85 set-up and seen what happens to bearings running them too lean...the thing is they don't ping on e85 like they do on petrol...its more of a vibration that flogs the little ends out and crumbles the big ends up without hearing a thing. This is quite common on methanol engines with a big tune-up in them but the engines are generally built well enough to tolerate it and rebuilt often enough to not cause total engine failure. I recently crewed for one of the top sprintcar teams in qld and spoke to their engine supplier and tuner at length about this. He is of the opinion a lot of people using e85 may end up with an expensive lesson due to a lack of experience and knowledge using this product. These same guys also supply engines to the current champion V8 supercar team so are at the pointy end of e85 engine development in this country...they know their stuff.

Edited by DiRTgarage

good additude...no point killing it to get a number. Change the set-up and allow the engine to achieve the gain from the improvements made. Although your engine should have no issues running more boost, its understanding what the engine is telling you from the numbers that separates the good tuners from the ones popping engines trying to get an ego boost. Adam is definately one of the good ones. :)

Ive pulled down a big e85 set-up and seen what happens to bearings running them too lean...the thing is they don't ping on e85 like they do on petrol...its more of a vibration that flogs the little ends out and crumbles the big ends up without hearing a thing. This is quite common on methanol engines with a big tune-up in them but the engines are generally built well enough to tolerate it and rebuilt often enough to not cause total engine failure. I recently crewed for one of the top sprintcar teams in qld and spoke to their engine supplier and tuner at length about this. He is of the opinion a lot of people using e85 may end up with an expensive lesson due to a lack of experience and knowledge using this product. These same guys also supply engines to the current champion V8 supercar team so are at the pointy end of e85 engine development in this country...they know their stuff.

yeah it's definately horses for courses, a big dollar engine is too risky to experiment with!, I'm not a big fan of pushing extra timeing with E85, normally 5 degree's more is plenty, anymore and you can feel that vibration your talking about, the engine note changes and sounds very angry, if your after a dyno number I cant see the harm pushing it for once off, my engine is what I call a throw away, it's taken 30,ooo kms of punishment on e85 if she pops I'm prepared to get another low k's engine and start all over!

As for stupercars they should be forced to have a controlled afr, the big teams with the big bucks can lean there engine's much more than a team on the fringe, they must be running crazy afr's there melting there boots in the car and getting sensational milage, I'm sure the rule makers are dissapointed that the E85 didnt change the stradegy as much as they hoped for !!!!

Can you guys confirm if E85 meets this definition? At the moment I think not due to the number of sites:

Pump Fuel: A commercial fuel (as defined above) available for sale on demand from a roadside retail bowser

outlet at each of at least five separate service stations in each of at least three Australian States.