SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

= running a bit rich. Not really a problem over winter I guess. I asked one of the owners at Southland Fueltown if he would be changing the mix during winter and he said definitely not.

I have started running 10% extra unleaded due to my cold start issues. The Emanage is wired for knock not temp adjustment. (you can have one or the other wired in apparently) so i cant adjust the cold injection map yet. It runs 11 to 1 at wide open throttle now which is fine.

This is an epic thread.

I live about 15mins from a couple E85 outlets. hmmm do i really want to go through the cost of retuning my car????

Has anyone done a middle ground tune? 50:50 or 40:60 ratio?

On Wed night Moe from QSS took his mental R32 GTR to WSID for its first run down the quarter after having its epic engine built.

He was told to take it easy on the first pass so he could feel the car out.

Bogged the start and then just kept his foot into it 2nd-3rd, crossed at 10.6@ 140mph!

Tried to get another pass but was told not to come back unless he had a chute, cage and ANDRA license.

Tuned at JEM on E85 with a very basic fuel and boost tune to 23psi!! Making 510awkw.

With 2.2bar and more timing i reckon it will go 1000hp :(

Onya Moe you crazy thrasher.

This is an epic thread.

I live about 15mins from a couple E85 outlets. hmmm do i really want to go through the cost of retuning my car????

where?

AFAIK the only outlet in sydney is still the united in Roselle.

Had a good chat to Anthony down at Fueltown the other day. He's the one responsible for getting E85 in there, and he's the Bosch guy doing all the conversions.

I asked about mixes etc, and he says it's E85 and E85 only. No winter mix and that Powerplus ethanol is made from alcohol grain or something like that, which is a better ethanol than the molasses by product base that the CSR uses. He was claiming a higher RON as a result as the pure ethanol ratings of the CSR method and the Powerplus are something like 112 / 116 respectively.

I was asking him about cold starts and he had some interesting info. He said that you need to go UP the heat range with plugs because the E85 burns about 40 degrees cooler and that's why it has trouble starting. He also said to INCREASE the gap. I don't know enough about all these things, but on 98 and the cars we run, i guess most of us have some .8's in there.

I'd be happy to try as cold start is a bit of an exercise :ninja: but won't do it to the detriment of tune etc. Need to follow up more on this.

And i'm so VIP there now i have my own personal key for the E85 bowser! hahahaha - Hamish mate, you gotta get one :banana: - So i can just rock up, unlock and start filling :banana:

More interesting tid bits. He confirmed the Caltex story, which is cool.

The MORE interesting thing is that he's had Holden come down at the dead of the night to test their new flex fuel cars :banana: Shouldn't be far off apparently.

He's been trying to convert all the cop cars because they get washed there, and has managed to convert a 15yr old Falcon dibby van, and the police organised a "test" (drag on nepean hwy) between the old and new van. Apparently the old E85 one destroyed it :teehee:

Also said they've had a full race prepped Corvette come through, with Motec etc, and getting that sorted with E85. Seems like he knows his stuff and might be a good idea to pick brains a bit.

Anyways, that's my story. The guy is ultra passionate about it and be prepared for a good chat :P

Anyways, that's my story. The guy is ultra passionate about it and be prepared for a good chat :)

cool story hansel :)

fwiw - manildra fues is wheatgrain ethanol rated at 106 ron and CSR is suarcane rated at 104 :)

yes i should get the vip key lol

i run bcpr7es apped to 0.8 so it might be worth trying 6's @ .9 or somethin :)

• 4 weeks later...

I found a group 5 oil that is recommended for ethanol/methanol, Gulf Western Sougi S 6000. I know a few guys on here already run and swear by it, but I didnt know it was fine for ethanol.

I rang the Melbourne distributor, Status gearbox and diffs in Kilsyth, they can sell it for $60 in 5 litre packs only. Looks like i'm changing from 300v.

yeah motul recommend not to use the 300V with it

the only downer with Sougi S is that it's being discontinued :P

Birds on here is a distributor, don't know if he can do better prices. But yeah, crazy cheap for a group V oil.

Might have to do a bulk purchace, the guy at Gulf Western didn't mention it was discontinued though...

Funny, I have had no problems with the 300v (other than the cost) but the castrol edge I tried went all milky on me.

I rang Gulf Western this morning, also stated on their website. The Melbourne distributor even knew what a Stagea was. :)

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/Sougi%20S%206000.html

I have never tested it but I can smell the ethanol in the oil when it is dumped, and also in the condensate trapped in the catch cans. I had a milky build-up in the rocker cover when I tried Castrol edge, back to 300v, all clean.

was in the USA over the past few weeks, and noticed that the E85 one station we filled up at said "minimum 70% Ethanol"

Let's hope that our shitty holden flexfuel things aren't set up to handle that kind of flex in ethanol content and that our pumps are 85% +/- 1% or something.

they can handle straight unleaded, e85 and any mix in between. they use a sensor in the fuel tank to tell the ecu exactly how much ethanol there is and adjusts the fuel and timing to suit. so if the supply is intended mainly for flex fuel cars it probably will vary a bit as it doesnt matter for those cars.

hence the term 'flex'. they can handle pretty much anything, except maybe E100 :P

The E70 would come from the north american winter mixes requiring more petrol to help with the coldstarts. It's not believe to be as much of an issue here, and PowerPlus E85 have committed to 85% year round as they don't believe the temps dictate a winter mix.

Unfortunately the major player, Caltex, have said they'll have variance in their E85, hopefully this is not the case. United i'm not sure, but as far as i know, remains 85% year round as well. But it's s lightly inferior fuel compared to PowerPlus.

Scotty, are you running Nistune? How you been finding the cold mornings and what plugs you running?