SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

How much better will the e100 do though, bugger all I would say. I will be looking into it, what's another map when you have 20 on the laptop already. :blink:

With known mapping for E70, 85 and 100 I could automate it with the ethanol content sensor and set up a secondary (4th?) map on the Emanage to adjust, as long as the sensor is reliable... Not having to worry about what fuel I put in would be great. Im sure there will be units that do this coming out of the aftermarket industry as soon as there is infrastructure in place.

I really do like the sound of this.

And I'm currently looking into options to maybe do this with my Haltech PS2000, if it can support it.

I don't really want a laptop sitting in my car the whole time.

A smaller console, like an Ipad or something would be awesome.

Anyway, maybe this'll take another 10 years.

e70 map running e85 would run kinda meh I'd assume.

The other way around, I can only speculate as I'm not familiar with tuning different ethanol contents. I assume 85% map has more timing than a 70% map, as well as more fuel. Probably looking at pinging

E85 to E70 wouldnt make much of a difference unless your car was tuned on the ragged edge.

My car has just had whatever comes out of the bowser and has made big numbers with no pinging or hesitation at all. There have been times where i have filled up and noticed the fuel smelling different, like it had more of a 98 content. But still no dramas with the engine.

the difference between running e85 and e70 on the same map would be less than 1 AFR point, which isnt going to cause any problems. and if you have so much timing in it that it pings with e70 (would be richer aswell having been tuned on e85) your probably past BMT which is pointless and dangerous.

at the end of the day unless your chasing every last killerwasp of power you could just have a conservative tune and run e70, e85 or anything in between and still make much better power than on petrol

what about 570 cc 14mm injectors on RB 25/30 with single 044

too small ?

not looking for massive numbers, maybe another 20- 30 kw or so

Sounds too small to me, If you are maxing your injectors now it would be a good idea to get at least 50% larger. You will require 20 - 30% more flow straight away.

I run 14mm 610cc Deka's with no problem on a VQ25det but on a 3L you may want more fuel than that. 044 should be fine.

Spot on, I had a flat 12 on E85 and 11:1 on E70 when I ran it.
Any dtonation from the lack of ethanol? Octane drop?

Its interesting 15% less ethanol so the octane drops a bit (not sure how much) but then the extra 15% of unleaded fuel would make the car run richer quite possibly negating the drop in octane.

Its interesting 15% less ethanol so the octane drops a bit (not sure how much) but then the extra 15% of unleaded fuel would make the car run richer quite possibly negating the drop in octane.

Does this suggest that you can run E70 on an E85 tune, or the other way around? lol my brain is still waking up...

As long as the E85 tune is not tuned right to the edge, I believe so yes. Although I would prefer to see some real world results instead of my logic before doing it :rolleyes:

yeah of course.

Perhaps it would be safer to do what had been suggested previously, and run e85 on an e70 tune. This wouldn't work so well in the colder months with cold start I'd assume, but would be safe from detonation. You'd only lose a small amount of power running higher ethanol content without tuning to take advantage...and still have a buttload more power than running straight 98ron

yeah of course.

Perhaps it would be safer to do what had been suggested previously, and run e85 on an e70 tune. This wouldn't work so well in the colder months with cold start I'd assume, but would be safe from detonation. You'd only lose a small amount of power running higher ethanol content without tuning to take advantage...and still have a buttload more power than running straight 98ron

Running e85 on an e70 tune you have the opposite scenario, car will run 1 AFR point leaner but will have a higher octane. I am beginning to think whichever way you do it wont make much of a difference.

No need for mules, just a wideband so you aren't tuning blindly.

I had some issues with spark breaking down due to the amount of fuel being dumped, It ran fine once the afr's were cleaned up. Really you would want it running rich in summer and lean in winter wouldn't you?

It is very easy to richen an E85 map up by adding 98, harder to lean it out as E100 is hard to come by. Best to run two maps if you want to run Caltex. Where is it by the way? Are there any pumps open yet? I want to give it a go. :rolleyes:

sorta off topic and I'm sure I could work this out with searching, but I don't know where to start to get a definitive answer...

If you suggest running 2 maps, which DOES make the most sense to do....I'll be running a ViPEC V44. Is the tuning software for this ECU free? As in, no license needed? and is it easy to connect to the ECU while parked at a petrol station after filling up to change maps?

If you had e85 in the tank, and filled up with ~55-57L of e70 from the pump, we can assume there will be no issues encountered running the minute mix between the two on an e70 map?

If ViPEC software is free without license, I think I'll get myself a shitty laptop to bring with me when I fill up, as well as having 2 tunes made up for the 2 blends. Can't justify myself paying more than $100 for a software license though.

I have no idea with Vipec software, Emanage disk comes with the unit.

As long as you don't get on boost until the fuel in the lines has been used, you should be fine switching over. Remember if you want to use Caltex E85 you will only need to swap maps twice a year anyway. The hassle comes from swapping back to 98 which I don't do anyway.

My tank is 80L so I don't really notice 5 or 10 litres left.