SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

hahaha yeah massive tank in your beast :rolleyes:

No boost for first few minutes of driving shouldn't be a worry at all, but after a few corners and a couple of hundred meters, the lines should be flushed and fuel in tank mixed....will be sweet. mini laptop in the glovebox with USB cable down to ECU will be a ripper, and I'll only ever bother running ethanol blends.

Only question remaining though, are we sure they'll only swap it twice a year? ie. as we come into winter, they change it to e70, then as we move back into summer, they change back to e85?

I think the majority, if not everyone that's using this fuel has their car tuned for 85% ethanol and worried about using E70, not the other way round.

So gas anyone used E70 on an E85 tune?

I might throw some E70 in and see how it looks on the dyno when I get the chance.

sorta off topic and I'm sure I could work this out with searching, but I don't know where to start to get a definitive answer...

If you suggest running 2 maps, which DOES make the most sense to do....I'll be running a ViPEC V44. Is the tuning software for this ECU free? As in, no license needed? and is it easy to connect to the ECU while parked at a petrol station after filling up to change maps?

If you had e85 in the tank, and filled up with ~55-57L of e70 from the pump, we can assume there will be no issues encountered running the minute mix between the two on an e70 map?

If ViPEC software is free without license, I think I'll get myself a shitty laptop to bring with me when I fill up, as well as having 2 tunes made up for the 2 blends. Can't justify myself paying more than $100 for a software license though.

Yep it is completely free on Vipec's website. Hell just download it now (it's a tiny file) and start playing around with it (there is base maps included) on your computer to see what it is all about.

Piece of piss to connect. Plug in USB cable from glovebox into laptop, start software, turn on ignition and your ready to rock and roll.

I think the majority, if not everyone that's using this fuel has their car tuned for 85% ethanol and worried about using E70, not the other way round.

So gas anyone used E70 on an E85 tune?

I might throw some E70 in and see how it looks on the dyno when I get the chance.

Posted the results already, slightly richer so no real issue. I have tried various blends but not straight ethanol.

I suggest you get a wideband though if you plan to fiddle...

Posted the results already, slightly richer so no real issue.

Yes it is richer which is fine but what about the lower octane content possibly meaning too much ignition timing.

No issue, if you are pushing E85 anywhere near its knock limits, you have lost power anyway. I think mine has around 2 degrees added over the 98 map.

2 degrees is fk all I run up to 7 degrees over 98 tune which is pretty common. But still doesn't ping with that extra timing. I'm not sure how close it is to the threshold but not sure if E70 would make it too close to the threshold.

1. tune car on e85.

2. fill up with random amounts of e85, e70 or anything in between.

3. more skids, less stress.

as has been said, if its tuned properly with e85 it will not knock on e70. if its tuned properly on e70 it will not be dangerously lean on e85

I just rang Caltex who told me the E85 pumps are up and running but ring the service stations and they don't seem to know much about it. End of the month I was told by the Blackburn road manager.

Its only for the new Commodore apparently. :huh:

sorta off topic and I'm sure I could work this out with searching, but I don't know where to start to get a definitive answer...

If you suggest running 2 maps, which DOES make the most sense to do....I'll be running a ViPEC V44. Is the tuning software for this ECU free? As in, no license needed? and is it easy to connect to the ECU while parked at a petrol station after filling up to change maps?

If you had e85 in the tank, and filled up with ~55-57L of e70 from the pump, we can assume there will be no issues encountered running the minute mix between the two on an e70 map?

If ViPEC software is free without license, I think I'll get myself a shitty laptop to bring with me when I fill up, as well as having 2 tunes made up for the 2 blends. Can't justify myself paying more than $100 for a software license though.

if you are that worried, just get a siemens ethanol content sensor (like what the flex fuel cars run) you can wire this into the vipec and have the fuel map tuned as a 3D map (revs vs boost vs ethanol content)

hahahaha, let them think that...

TiTAN, I played around with the ViPEC software....other than not really knowing THAT much about tuning a car, my mind is f**ked. It was fun, and awesome to see just how simple the layout is. Can't wait to get this e85 business running :huh:

no u Andrew, no u.

It will be the Caltex on the west side of Drakeford in Kambah, and Nicholls. I'm hoping more follow suit, and that United also jump on the boat. Either way Kambah aint that far for me at all, and I think you were in Banks so it's not HORRIBLE for you either.