SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

So did the af ratios get richer when you had the e85 tune and filled up with 70 yeah?

Yes, about 1 afr but I only noticed it on the third tank as I never empty it fully. It made an extra 15 or so kw as the tuner took the fuel back out.

Excellent! So no pinging on the E70 with E85 tune?

I doubt e30 would ping, it just ran a bit rich. We took a bit of fuel out obviously and dumped a bit more timing in, mainly to make up for the stock ecu taking it away again.

Im not sure what this engine can take, no one has gone this far with the stock motor or even had one apart in Australia. VQ25det runs the same stroke as the VQ30det so hopefully they run the same rods as they are good for 400 odd apparently.

I have a spare VQ25det here to disassemble, and a VQ35de also, Im hoping I can frankenstein the two together to keep the awd on the 3.5, and run a GT35 or bigger if this engine ever lets go.

awesome! so there's no chance of any damage of ANY kind should the mix at the pump change. Just watch the AFR as you leave the station and drive down the road so you know if you should swap maps :P

Pretty much, theres not that much difference between e70 and 85 really, it may cause damage if driven hard on the track, it will probably run about 13:1 on e85 I guess if I drained the tank completely. Remember, all I have to do is wack a bit more 98 in anyway.

Best part is the starting has improved, I dont have to prime it with petrol anymore. Wish summer would get here...

One of my colleagues just told me that Caltex at Tempe in Sydney have it for sale now, it's priced at $1.09/L!!

Thieves, and yes it states between 70-85% ethanol on a pamphlet. We'll be keen to test some before next week if we can

One of my colleagues just told me that Caltex at Tempe in Sydney have it for sale now, it's priced at $1.09/L!!

Thieves, and yes it states between 70-85% ethanol on a pamphlet. We'll be keen to test some before next week if we can

I wonder how they price theirs? Isnt that the same price as unleaded?

I might have to quiz Caltex on their OPEC based pricing structure and get today tonight onto it. lol.

Unleaded was $1.20, certainly not a good way to get people to convert if they have to buy a fuel flex box and have poorer fuel consumption!

20c lower than unleaded seems to be their national pricing policy, im not complaining at the moment, 88.4c last fill.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/81517/holden-c...cing-announced/

I dont think they care about conversions, this is aimed squarely at the new E Flex range of vehicles as a global GM push. Notice they said its not suitable for any non flex fuel cars...

Yes, about 1 afr but I only noticed it on the third tank as I never empty it fully. It made an extra 15 or so kw as the tuner took the fuel back out.

damn you, the next day after your visit i was filling jerry's with e70.... then slapped the race car on the dyno.... i said i wouldnt... your a bad influence :happy:

how'd you make more power on E70 scotty compared to E85?

hmm, i have our Rb26 700's on ebay atm cause they ran out on E70.. i raised rail pressure (alot.. alot) to get 380 @ 7000rpm and 17.6psi but ran out again of fuel well below peak rpm (backed out @ 6200) and power.

i just ordered id 1000's and if your out by 403kw im second guessing my choice

ive still got 6-odd psi and 2000rpm to go.....

just out of interest were you watching fuel pressure? its not a pump issue is it?

how'd you make more power on E70 scotty compared to E85?

It felt stronger than manildra even running rich, we took the extra fuel out and made an another 15 or 20, thats all I know. We were mainly tuning for the fuel and working on the ramp, I need more low end response.

The only other dyno I have used is RE's one, notorious for being 25 under. This one may be a little happy but Trent cant get it on his hub dyno to get an accurate graph. (he tried and couldnt get the front driveshafts out of the way enough to run it up.)

Sorry if I got you keen again Trent, you seemed to be over the tuning game, I just needed to light the fire again. Not bad fuel hey? :happy:

My workmate tuned an EVO on Caltex pump ethanol yesterday, didn't display any differences from Manildra, United or 'Super E85'

Of course there are differences, its e70 for a start which means less fuel required, (better economy) and no cold start issues. Is it a daily? Perhaps he doesn't drive it enough to see the differences? I bet the tuner did.

On the dyno, there were NO noticeable differences between tuning it on Manildra, United or E85 mixed with 98. We do about 5 E85 tunes a week and have so for about a year. I'm just relaying a message from the person who tunes them.

Edited by PJ.

You may not notice the differences unless you tuned for them back to back as I do. I have used all three and while you can drive on each with any e85 tune, the United runs leanest, then manildra and Caltex is rich. Each fuel feels different and smells different at the tailpipe. Perhaps im just becoming an alcoholic. :happy: