SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

I emailed Caltex last week and they just got back with some info...

Comments: I have been running ethanol fuel for the last 6 months, mainly the Manildra blend and decided to give your E70 a go. For the last 4 tanks I have had no complaints with the fuel, just the manner of pricing, it fluctuates wildly. How do you justify charging 20c less than unleaded when it has very little to do with the OPEC pricing structure?

I also have an issue with the way the attendants kill the pump on me every time I try to fill up, is this going to be an ongoing problem for me? Do I need to put a"Ethanol Vehicle" sign on the front of my car?

You dont seem to have spread the service stations out very well considering the only two I have found in Victoria so far are within a few kilometers of each other, do you plan to open a store near the Dandenong area any time soon? If not I will have to go back to filling at Southalnd Fuel Town.

Thanks.

Scott.

Hi Scott

Thanks for dropping a note to Caltex. What kind of car are you driving?

In response to your queries:

Price: Australia doesn't use the OPEC pricing structure. We use the MOPS (Mean of Platts Singapore) import parity pricing structure. Australian ethanol producers (Caltex doesn't use imported ethanol) use a MOPS pricing structure to sell their ethanol to us and as a result, the ULP price directly influences the price at which we purchase ethanol. This is why we charge it at a fixed differential to ULP. Until the ethanol producers move away from using petroleum pricing to price ethanol, ethanol fuels and petrol will continue to move together. This may change as the tax treatment on ethanol changes.

My apologies for the attendants killing the pumps on you. In these initial months we are quite wary of misfuels - it's an educational journey for our customer service attendants as well as some of our customers. I've forwarded this to the Victorian team to make them aware.

Regarding more E-Flex sites we are rolling out more sites this year (see table below, the ones in green already have them) and a lot more next year.

Regards

Mabelle

Mabelle Reyes

Biofuels Marketing Manager

Caltex Australia | 2 Market St Sydney NSW 2000

02 9250 5652 | 0403 002 029

www.caltex.com.au

post-63525-1285221787_thumb.png

If you reply, can you ask about the chances of WA seeing it before 2050

read in the motoring section of the paper over the last couple of weeks thats its actually illegal to sell ethanol fuels in WA atm because they dont pass some volatility test. all the other states have changed the laws to allow ethanol but good ol WA hasnt and isnt showing any signs of doing it.

Caltex have also said they probably wont ship it over here because its too costly

now that caltex is here and costs more... manildra ethanol is now more expensive :happy:

they cant seriously expect it to take off when its only a few cents less than 98 can they?

Damn, I thought that might happen, perhaps its the excise rising also, I think it is going up 12c by 2012.

Has anyone tried e85 on a stock turbo?

Are there much gains to be had if you had all the supporting mods to run e85?

Cheers!

It seems to work best on high boost applications, 20psi or more, which the stock turbo isnt capable of, unless you want to bump up the compression a bit? Highflow is a better option. ;)