SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

On a side note, I used a few tanks of E85 and just pulled my motor out and turbo off..

Both the inside of the manifold/turbo exhaust housing and turbine wheel are squeeky clean, amazing stuff! Almost looks like the car is running lean because there is zero soot after using the E42.5

downsides to the Ethanol's cleaning properties - where did all that crap wind up? Not that it all comes off at once of course :P

On an entirely related note (and this is going to make me look dumb) is an R33 GTS-T's fuel tank plastic or metal? Is there any materials inside the tank that can rust? It has been mentioned that if there is, filling it with ethanol would be a bad idea. All the shit in there gets cleaned out, then finds it's way through your pump and injectors, etc etc...

downsides to the Ethanol's cleaning properties - where did all that crap wind up? Not that it all comes off at once of course :P

On an entirely related note (and this is going to make me look dumb) is an R33 GTS-T's fuel tank plastic or metal? Is there any materials inside the tank that can rust? It has been mentioned that if there is, filling it with ethanol would be a bad idea. All the shit in there gets cleaned out, then finds it's way through your pump and injectors, etc etc...

Mine is metal, as long as they are galvanized the ethanol shouldn't react with the steel, 33's should be fine, not sure about the 32's.

You do run a fuel filter right?

Yes of course I run a filter - but no filter is perfect, not to mention just how quickly it could become clogged and restrict flow if huge shit is coming through.

So R33's are a plastic tank of some kind? Or are they galvanised steel? As long as there shouldn't be rust inside the tank, I'm happy.

Cats car has had a tank of ethanol sitting in it with the filler off and the pump cover removed (open to moisture for 3months) and there is no EVIL shit going on like is rumoured to happen.... i will leave it open to continue experiment :P

engine was internally mint (stripped to sell in parts) and exhaust etc is all fine.

Been running for over 18months now with no ill affects whatsoever. I too have left E85 in the tank for about 4-5months, no dramas.

I have a washable fuel filter and gets cleaned every service. The first 2 cleans had noticeable debris, after that it has been pretty clean.

Spoke to the attendant at Kambah earlier - he says within 2-3weeks they'll be pumping the good shit. They should have the equipment coming round this coming week to suck everything out of the existing E10 tank they'll be using, then clean it all out in preparation for filling with e85.

hahahahaa love it

Cats car has had a tank of ethanol sitting in it with the filler off and the pump cover removed (open to moisture for 3months) and there is no EVIL shit going on like is rumoured to happen.... i will leave it open to continue experiment :P

engine was internally mint (stripped to sell in parts) and exhaust etc is all fine.

can come one do a graph of injectors on E85

i.e

x6

555's = max power ____________ @ 45PSI or what ever std fuel pressure is

700's = max power ____________ @ 45PSI or what ever std fuel pressure is

1000's = max power ____________ @ 45PSI or what ever std fuel pressure is

thanks heaps

and am i right by thinking say 90PSI fuel pressure means 2x the cc?

Edited by yogibear

If you read this thread you will find there is quite a large difference in when people run out of injector duty cycle due to a myriad of different factors.

Remember a base fuel pressure is only a base. I think the standard base fuel pressure is 3 bar ~ 43psi, although it will raise 1psi for every 1psi of boost pressure. So if you are running 20psi of boost pressure then you are running 63psi of fuel pressure.

and am i right by thinking say 90PSI fuel pressure means 2x the cc?

no. double the pressure only yields ~40% more flow

skylines run a 3 bar fuel system standard, this means fuel pressure is always 3 bar (42-43psi) above inlet manifold pressure. this means theres a constant pressure difference between both sides of the injector (fuel on the rail side and air on the inlet side) resulting in constant injector flow.

• Like 1

no. double the pressure only yields ~40% more flow

skylines run a 3 bar fuel system standard, this means fuel pressure is always 3 bar (42-43psi) above inlet manifold pressure. this means theres a constant pressure difference between both sides of the injector (fuel on the rail side and air on the inlet side) resulting in constant injector flow.

holy shit! someone who understands the basics of a fuel injected engines fuel system! well done. :)

most people have no idea. also no way is practical to take your standard 3 bar system and expect everything to be good at double the base pressure. 86psi base is going to cause some problems. first of which is most pumps will not be flowing anywhere near what they were at 3 bar under 6 bar...

if you are short on fuel supply by a small amount, 3 or 4% or something by all means use some more pressure. but anything more than that just buy the right size injectors and pumps. end of story.

• Like 1

Just fueled up my 1st tank of E85 from Gosford caltex, i ran the tank extremely low so i would help reduce mixing of 98, then filled up @ 119.9 costing a total of $70 instead of $90 for 98,

from first start my idle went straight to 16.9 AFR from 14.3(98)

a quick change of injector size got the idle AFR back to normal,

Got my Fiance to cruise around while i touched up a few areas.

i used to get 400km to a full tank, ill see how this tank goes just cruising, then ill put a fresh batch in and strap it on the rollers,

without touching ignition timing the car feels more responsive, gave it a quick hit and it feels on par with 98, hoping to see some good gains once i tweak the timing.

current numbers on 98

293kw 18.5psi

255kw 14psi

• Like 1

Roughly how much would I be looking at for a full retune onto E85? Obviously depends on where you go, and how good the tuner is....but for arguments sake, let's say Yavuz @ Unigroup...just wanna know if I can afford it just yet :P

Roughly how much would I be looking at for a full retune onto E85? Obviously depends on where you go, and how good the tuner is....but for arguments sake, let's say Yavuz @ Unigroup...just wanna know if I can afford it just yet :P

If you already have a full tune then a rutune on E85 wouldn't take too long...most tuners should be able to get in right in about 1-2 hours depending on how much time they spend on full and partial load maps and so on...of course this can change depending on what state the car is in and a whole load of other factors...so for your case...it depends on how much your tuner charges per hour...