SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

I would be interested to see the printout, especially the AFR. When you say tabletop, it is probably running rich as up there, plenty more power to be made leaning it off to 12 but your pistons would be enjoying all the fuel cooling them down. If you run an exhaust temp gauge they are more likely to lean out the top end as the temps are usually well under control.

Nice smell on boost? :cool:

I'll get another printout with the AFR on the graph, i'm going down there on saturday to have the fuel tank sender unit looked at and maybe replaced.

I didnt even think of asking for a printout of the AFR's on the graph

I think it may have been bumped when they were fitting the fuel pump or it may be caught on something?

Can definitely smell the e85 on boost and when at the lights.

i like it!

Here is a Drive article on e85.

I don't know how Holden expected ethanol to work well in an engine designed to run on e10, until the infrastructure is in place there's no way they will up the compression I guess...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/ethanol-put-to-the-test-e85-v-e10-v-premium-unleaded-20110205-1ahgx.html

it's actually a good article, someone has actually bothered to do a bit of homework.

i'm having absolutely zero luck posting a comment though :domokun:>_< - keeps saying i've got the incorrect security code no matter how many times i try and what iteration of the code i use

it's actually a good article, someone has actually bothered to do a bit of homework.

i'm having absolutely zero luck posting a comment though :domokun:>_< - keeps saying i've got the incorrect security code no matter how many times i try and what iteration of the code i use

Do they already know you're one of the "modifiers" they spoke of? lol.

If only Holden had strapped a GT35 on it. :whistling:

Anyone done a test on the caltex flex-fuel lately?

Going to get an e85 tune done on the car but want it done on e85 not e70. If i have it right, from what you guys have posted, it should be e85 now yes? Cheers.

Nope, still e70. I doubt they will change it until at least next summer as the tanks are full.

Ah ok thanks for that. Maybe it'll have to be e70 then as i'm not that close to rozelle.

Addtionaly, spoke to my tuner today and he said i'll need larger injectors..he was recommending 1000cc mellow.gif

I would've thought my 550's were enough..setup below anyone care to shed some more light on this? I can see there are previous posters making around 300rwkw on 550s or 555s.

rb25 (bored to close 2.6)

all the usual bolt ons and ported head, gt2871r turbo (equiv to gt-rs).

tomei 550cc injectors, bosch 040 mounted in tank and nismo adjustable fuel reg.

Is my tuner correct or is he on crack lol?

If he's on crack...anyone recommend some places in sydney. I get the impression my car will be the first e85 rb25 he tunes though i know he's done a fair few evo's with e85. Was quoted $600-$700.

Oh, car is currently 245rwkw @ 1.25bar.

Little confused now..

Anyone done a test on the caltex flex-fuel lately?

Going to get an e85 tune done on the car but want it done on e85 not e70. If i have it right, from what you guys have posted, it should be e85 now yes? Cheers.

What you'd be best to do (if you can) is wait until winter rolls around to tune the car for E85. Try and get the tuning done on the coldest day possible (when the cylinder charge density and inj duty cycle will be highest), and then do the on-road tune finish in, again, the most arctic temp you can get (most likely at night).

As most would know, the winter 'E85' blend from Caltex contains the least ethanol. I emailed them a while back to ask what minimum RON rating they specify for E-Flex, and the fuel science guy said it's 105 winter and 106 on summer blend.

Done this way, you should be able to ensure the tune is peachy year 'round.

I thought it was right..

Shaun mentioned e85 at caltex has the least ethanol during winter (where it's really more e70) to help with cold starts?

Just did a 2nd gear WOT check for injector duty on the pfc hc and saw max 69.4% so i've got 30% headroom...just enough for the e85 tune fellas? There's a nismo fuel reg if it's slightly shy i guess but i'd probably prefer not to run it right on the edge.

yer 30% more than your at atm, but its a very rough guess, it varies greatly depending on how your tuner likes to tune e85, some prefer to run it a lot leaner (relative, talking lambda values) than ulp and some run it about the same or richer.

duty cycle works close enough to how much fuel is being used, if you put in 30% more fuel it'd be a tiny bit less than a 30% increase in duty cycle due to latency, but the difference is so small it doesnt matter

Thanks guys. After speaking further with my tuner, we will try and tune my car with the current 550cc's on. I explained to him i'm not looking for a boost increase along with using e85..just looking for gains from timing and cleaner emissions. My turbo is at the end of it's efficiency range anyways.

Plan is to fill up some jerry cans with e85, run the car till the petrol light comes on, pour in 20L of e85...do an extreme rough tune so i can cruise around and empty the tank then fill up with e85 and do a proper tune. The only question that remains is how to deal with Caltex going from e70 - e85 etc. Might just do the tune on rozelle's e85 then fill up with caltex and see if the car still runs ok.. i think.

Thanks guys. After speaking further with my tuner, we will try and tune my car with the current 550cc's on. I explained to him i'm not looking for a boost increase along with using e85..just looking for gains from timing and cleaner emissions. My turbo is at the end of it's efficiency range anyways.

Plan is to fill up some jerry cans with e85, run the car till the petrol light comes on, pour in 20L of e85...do an extreme rough tune so i can cruise around and empty the tank then fill up with e85 and do a proper tune. The only question that remains is how to deal with Caltex going from e70 - e85 etc. Might just do the tune on rozelle's e85 then fill up with caltex and see if the car still runs ok.. i think.

Tune on the fuel you plan to run but include some headroom, 1 afr richer in the petrol scale will do nicely, thats what I run. Perhaps you should invest $250 in a wideband?

• 3 weeks later...

Roughly how much would I be looking at for a full retune onto E85? Obviously depends on where you go, and how good the tuner is....but for arguments sake, let's say Yavuz @ Unigroup...just wanna know if I can afford it just yet :P

Only way? Call him and ask

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think it will flow enough I would run twin aeromotive pumps like these, or 2 044's

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/357584-aeromotive-340lph-and-deatchwerks-300lph-in-tank-fuel-pumps/

Or you could get a highflow aeromotive pump in from the US? Has anyone used one of the FEULAB pumps?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FUELAB-Prodigy-High-Flow-Fuel-Pump-1300HP-EFI-/200471272130#ht_1331wt_905

post-63525-0-44469900-1300316193_thumb.jpg