SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering...does anyone know the accurate percentage of ethanol of the eflex fuel at springvale and mt waverley caltex servos at the moment? Still don't have my tester...

springvale was down in the low 60's for a while in the dead of winter, but i fill up from Glen Wav for the last few months and have been back to Chequered for some touch up stuff since, content sensor was saying E70.

Actually, i should really get this all going on my laptop. Parallel desktop then Link software, then i can tell you EXACTLY what Glen Waverley is at the moment (filled up a couple days ago)

But to be honest, the two outlets should be the same as it's the same truck and delivers it.

off to piratebay.org...

we weren't sure if it was the Ethanol shortage from the floods that caused the real low winter numbers or if they were being ultra conservative from a cold-start point of view and hence have a higher petrol content.

What will be interesting is if they go to full E85 in summer, shall be checking the laptop with interest :D

I should check if Fueltown has their E85 back up as well...

Fueltown is still out according to my mate, he cant tune his old xr6 flash box anymore so is back on 98 until fueltown have stock of e85. He was running Caltex for a few weeks but it just ran too rich.

You would barely notice the difference between e65 and e70 on the wideband, I just assumed they mixed it on site as the tank was filled hence the inaccuracy's.

• 4 weeks later...

Q: Being it's E80 but knowing that Caltex will revert to e70 later on, do i ask my tuner to tune it slightly leaner or richer to compensate for the future change back to e70 that caltex will implement.

Unfortunately i only have a pfc so no funky ethanol content sensor here.

• 2 months later...

hey guys

just want to say great thread, has been a mission reading it, only up to page 54, thought i would share something ive just read from another thread

just finnished reading a thread on detonation and pre-ignition, i come accross these two paragraphs and i remembered a few of you guys were running lower EGT's

"The other technique is a little more subtle but usable if attention is paid to EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Detonation will actually cause EGTs to drop. This behavior has fooled a lot of people because they will watch the EGT and think that it is in a low enough range to be safe, the only reason it is low is because the engine is detonating.

The only way you know what is actually happening is to be very familiar with your specific engine EGT readings as calibrations and probe locations vary. If, for example, you normally run 1500 degrees at a given MAP setting and you suddenly see 1125 after picking up a fresh load of fuel you should be alert to possible or incipient detonation. Any drop from normal EGT should be reason for concern. Using the "Tin Ear" during the early test stage and watching the EGT very carefully, other than just plain listening with your ear without any augmentation, is the only way to identify detonation. The good thing is, most engines will live with a fairly high level of detonation for some period of time. It is not an instantaneous type failure."

as far as ive figured out E85 burns at slower rate therefore timing can be advanced a great deal more then PULP

it also had a higher Octane rating makig it harder to ignite

becasue of its high alcohol content alot more fuel is needed to compared to PULP to get your bang for buck, this in turn would keep cylinder temps down and reduce EGT's

Are the E85 guys missing something here and having their engines detonate without them knowing or is the low EGT's just a safe bi-product of E85?

Q: Being it's E80 but knowing that Caltex will revert to e70 later on, do i ask my tuner to tune it slightly leaner or richer to compensate for the future change back to e70 that caltex will implement.

Unfortunately i only have a pfc so no funky ethanol content sensor here.

My GTR was tuned on united E85 (and according to my ethanol sensor that is E 90). I have ran anything from united to Caltex 'flex fuel' over the last 12 months and never had a issue. Take that how you will, but that is my experience.

hey guys

just want to say great thread, has been a mission reading it, only up to page 54, thought i would share something ive just read from another thread

just finnished reading a thread on detonation and pre-ignition, i come accross these two paragraphs and i remembered a few of you guys were running lower EGT's

"The other technique is a little more subtle but usable if attention is paid to EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Detonation will actually cause EGTs to drop. This behavior has fooled a lot of people because they will watch the EGT and think that it is in a low enough range to be safe, the only reason it is low is because the engine is detonating.

The only way you know what is actually happening is to be very familiar with your specific engine EGT readings as calibrations and probe locations vary. If, for example, you normally run 1500 degrees at a given MAP setting and you suddenly see 1125 after picking up a fresh load of fuel you should be alert to possible or incipient detonation. Any drop from normal EGT should be reason for concern. Using the "Tin Ear" during the early test stage and watching the EGT very carefully, other than just plain listening with your ear without any augmentation, is the only way to identify detonation. The good thing is, most engines will live with a fairly high level of detonation for some period of time. It is not an instantaneous type failure."

as far as ive figured out E85 burns at slower rate therefore timing can be advanced a great deal more then PULP

it also had a higher Octane rating makig it harder to ignite

becasue of its high alcohol content alot more fuel is needed to compared to PULP to get your bang for buck, this in turn would keep cylinder temps down and reduce EGT's

Are the E85 guys missing something here and having their engines detonate without them knowing or is the low EGT's just a safe bi-product of E85?

I know from bikes that when you run an ethanol content your egt's are much lower that pulp, so its a safe bi-product of ethanol to have low egt, couldnt give you a figure for a car engine though. Its much safer on your valve seats and almost everything because (especially e85) is just so much cooler.. And in the case of a 2 stroke (getting off topic) its awesome if you tune it right, will make huge power difference and much harder to melt a piston