SAU Community

P Platers And The Rules!

wahid2oo8

i don't get the new rules for P Platers, I'm on my Green P's (NSW)

if i got my red P's on January 2007 and i got my green P's on March 2008, am i allowed to drive a turbo car?

because I'm thinking of buying a

"Nissan Skyline R33 93 Model Turbo" $9,300.00

Turbo Timer 220 $ Receipt Provided,

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20ox1.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21tj5.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=22fj4.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=23vx3.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24ie1.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25ci3.jpg

but i don't want to buy a turbo car if I'm not allowed to drive it.

or this

"1995 R33 turbo Nissan Skyline 2 door coupe" $10,100.00

Motor Sport R308 Turbo timer

High Flowed Turbo with Blow Off Valve

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10lf9.jpg

http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11cd8.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12tp1.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=13bp2.jpg

the reason I'm pasting this because I don't know much about cars, sorry

please reply, thanks

Wahid2oo8

You are prohibited. Any provisional licence issued after july 2005 is prohibited.

Please check the Rta for this type of information

Www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Check the back of your license, it should say which cars you are prohibited to drive.

And not to sound like im picking on you or anything, but maybe buying a skyline and not knowing much about cars isnt a great idea. lol

Theres alot of work if you plan to keep it, and alot of headache if something goes wrong...and also very expensive... :(

But if you're willing to learn then welcome aboard. :)

yeah I'm willing to learn about these kind of cars,

it says on my back of my licence...

Class

[C=Vehicle seating up to 12 adults, to 4.5 tonnes GVM, Tractor, Implement]

[Provisional driver must not drive Prohibited Vehichles]

Conds

[Note - Provisional restricted to Zero BAC limit]

you can get permits...but ther hard to get and ther expensive....the permits are given out to ppl who are in certain living conditions etc....like only one car and its turbo (unlickly :)) or 2 cars and only one is avaialble and its a turbo or a v8 or something.....iv even heard of ppl that just paid for a certificate...but its like 2500 buks...waste of money....anyway man...if u love skylines so much get a non turbo...get used to it first... im kinda glad i didnt get a turbo...otherwise i might be wrapped around a pole....alot of the turbo guys will say wer stupid for getting a N/a skylines like it defeats the perpose...but i dont care i love them so much even a non turbo is awsome....:(

im also on my greens...ill buy a GTT when i get my full's - get a bit more experience under my belt befor i go and buy the real beast :(

I haven't heard of this paying business for permits but I have heard plenty of stories that It's as simple as getting your place of work to write a letter into the RTA asking for an exemption due to whatever reason (usually only car available is a such and such seems to work) and seeing what happens from there.

The worst that could happen is them knocking you back and then you can just try again until they get bored of getting letters from you :)

what if i buy a turbo car, is it possible to remove the turbo? if so how much do you reckon it cost to remove the turbo?

because I really liked that car i uploaded pics of. (the white one)

Even if the turbo is removed it is still classified as a prohibited vehicle due to the model and stuff. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also why would you bother? Unturboing a turbo and turboing a non turbo is such a hassle

Especially when they come in turbo and non turbo models :)

you can get permits...but ther hard to get and ther expensive....the permits are given out to ppl who are in certain living conditions etc....like only one car and its turbo (unlickly :O) or 2 cars and only one is avaialble and its a turbo or a v8 or something.....iv even heard of ppl that just paid for a certificate...but its like 2500 buks...waste of money....anyway man...if u love skylines so much get a non turbo...get used to it first... im kinda glad i didnt get a turbo...otherwise i might be wrapped around a pole....alot of the turbo guys will say wer stupid for getting a N/a skylines like it defeats the perpose...but i dont care i love them so much even a non turbo is awsome....:)

im also on my greens...ill buy a GTT when i get my full's - get a bit more experience under my belt befor i go and buy the real beast :)

I think you are confused with an exemption. I looked into this for a long time and I have never heard of a permit, or paying money to be able to drive a prohibited vehicle in NSW.

There was a "loophole" around the vehicle exemption where a fair few people got granted one because the only vehicle in the family was a V8 or turbocharged car. This has since changed and can not be done anymore. It is in bold print on the exemption application that you can't apply on the basis of this reason.

It's $30 to apply for an exemption, and if you don't get it, you won't get your $30 back.

Just one thing to all the Turbo skyline drivers, how would you feel if you were getting your p's in this day and age, and having people make jokes about not being aloud to drive turbo, its basically your inconsiderate generation being idiots ruining it for us :O. (I meant this thread in a peaceful way too :))

I learnt how to drive on my mums old turbo forester which was an absolute dream to drive. I still oppose what they are doing to p platers as all it's doing is limiting their access to new experiences and slowing their learning curve. Compulsory defensive driving courses and driver awareness on the dangers of speeding and drink driving would go a lot further than saying "While this person is on their reds and greens they are not experienced enough to drive a v8 or turbo but as soon as they get their full licence they are magically empowered with the skills to drive these cars" BULLSHIT!

I think you are confused with an exemption. I looked into this for a long time and I have never heard of a permit, or paying money to be able to drive a prohibited vehicle in NSW.

There was a "loophole" around the vehicle exemption where a fair few people got granted one because the only vehicle in the family was a V8 or turbocharged car. This has since changed and can not be done anymore. It is in bold print on the exemption application that you can't apply on the basis of this reason.

It's $30 to apply for an exemption, and if you don't get it, you won't get your $30 back.

Ahh k - dont mind being corrected - listen to this guy ^^^ - thanx for correcting me

what if i buy a turbo car, is it possible to remove the turbo? if so how much do you reckon it cost to remove the turbo?

because I really liked that car i uploaded pics of. (the white one)

never gonna work, ever. impractical, would be a dog to drive.

also ive seen people applying for an exemption for $30 after there first year of driving was uneventful, meaning no attention from the cops at all, no speeding, no transit lane, no bus lane, no illegal driving at all...... it is possible to get an exemption like this and as someone said above, worst case is you loose $30

i remember shane was saying something about going to do it or something on the last hills cruise....