SAU Community

R33 Sidepipes (exhaust)

r33rckt

Im thinking of welding up a custom exhaust for my r33 Rb30det powered Project car

What i want to do is to fabricate a shortened exhast that comes out either one or both sides of the car in fron of the rear wheels.

sidepipes.jpg

this is a rough drawing of what i am wanting to do

sorry bout my lack of photshop prowess i just used paint.

anyway if somone else has done this before could you please post some pics.

illegal for road use...well im 99% sure its illegal

Cant be arsed looking up the rule book, but an exhaust has to come out a certrain distance after the rear wheels...or something like that

also have to have a look underneath ur car, see if there is actually room to accomodate that setup

edit: bored with uni work...its ur lucky day

10 EXHAUST OUTLETS

10.1 Enclosed LE vehicles, and MA, MB or MC

vehicles must meet the following requirements:

10.1.1 the exhaust outlet must extend at least 40 mm

beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the

floor pan which is not continuously welded or

permanently sealed which could permit direct access of

exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not

beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan;

10.1.2 the exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle,

must discharge to the right hand side of the vehicle and

downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than

15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees; and

10.1.3 the exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle must

discharge at not more than 10 degrees above or

45 degrees below the horizontal.

Edited by Kranker

So now, if we read into those rules... You'll need to check the floor pan of the car, and see where you can make it exit...

I've seen some of the guys running side pipes out through the passenger guard... :P But that's usually on drag car setup.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your replies guys on the legal matter

as i remember anyexhaust must not exit in front of the last opening window in the car

so as long as it is behind the last opening window im ok there

but will check into the floor pan bit and weather that applies to side pipes

on the noise issue i am going to reseach this further

but it maybe posible to build the muffler into the pipe like in some motorbikes.

but yeh more research required on weather this would be to restrictive

:/

Edited by r33rckt

too much work for me i wouldnt bother, when i drag my car i just have a decat pipe and take the cannon off and replace with a pipe, loud enough, no restrictions, does the job.... but side pipes would look cool as hehehe

well legality wouldn't work either way as you'd never get it quiet :ninja:

Sounds like you need someone decent to build you a side pipe setup then my friend...

There's PLENTY of room to fit good mufflers under there and shut it up...

FYI, From memory after the cat, I can fit a 950mm long 5" muffler... Before the cat I can fit a 550mm muffler 5 inches...

ATM, I run a 550mm muffler where I can fit a 950mm long one, and it's in 5" and I run a 550mm 7" muffler on the rear... Loudest time my car... When it's idling... Bring the revs up, and you hear the scream of the motor.., No exhaust noise...

PS: I don't use off the shelf mufflers... Mine are all custom built... :down:

And your approved tester results to backup the fact its legal? :P

Vic is not NSW, we have much tougher and ridiculous laws.

Also ride height needs to be taken into consideration 100mm @ the lowest point for us

Don't have the results of it in a setup like that, but with said mufflers, it has been trialled and came in under 90dba.

As to the ride height, if running the twin pipes, it would fit rather easily, as long as you don't have a slammed car and you'd be happy with what is normally a single 3" outlet (The dual pipes for a 3.5" need to be around 2.5" each *6.3cm* so probably bordering on, if not breaking the ride height). Single 3" you'd run a 2.25" pipe, which should nicely clear the ride height, or you can use oval pipe instead...

As to Vic Vs NSW, I can't tell what state the original poster is in, and as such, makes it very hard to be able to work out what laws he needs to abide by.

i run a side pipe on my r32 race car.

-one problem you will run into is running the exhaust under the chassis rail it will hang very low. you will need to find a way around it

-you wont be able to fit any sort o mufflers in there as it will make the exhaust lower (unless you car is overlander spec)

-its completely illegal

-as with the mufflers point it will be too loud

-it will be a cop magnet

thanks for your replies guys on the legal matter

as i remember anyexhaust must not exit in front of the last opening window in the car

so as long as it is behind the last opening window im ok there

but will check into the floor pan bit and weather that applies to side pipes

on the noise issue i am going to reseach this further

but it maybe posible to build the muffler into the pipe like in some motorbikes.

but yeh more research required on weather this would be to restrictive

:P

I dont know about the legalities with your state but here in Tassie even if you could get a side pipe quiet enough it still wouldn't be legal as it would exit into pedestrians if on the left and not allowed to exit to the right as it would then be exiting to on coming traffic.

I dont know about the legalities with your state but here in Tassie even if you could get a side pipe quiet enough it still wouldn't be legal as it would exit into pedestrians if on the left and not allowed to exit to the right as it would then be exiting to on coming traffic.

I thought it was allowed to exit to the side as long as it didn't exit before the most rearward opening door/window. one of my mates had side exit pipes on his ute and never had any troubles with it. This was in Tassie BTW, can't wait to go back home at Christmas time :P

I thought it was allowed to exit to the side as long as it didn't exit before the most rearward opening door/window. one of my mates had side exit pipes on his ute and never had any troubles with it. This was in Tassie BTW, can't wait to go back home at Christmas time :)

AFAIK you cant run it exiting the left of the car no matter what as its pointing towards pedestrians on the footpath. They have cracked down so much here with rules & regs its not funny and there are more and more defects/bomb stickers being issued every week :P