SAU Community

Will My Pods Still Get Enough Air?

Bakes

Ive just had HKS SPL pipe kit installed on my car. I want to "hide" the pods. Im in the design stages for a cover but Im concerned that the pods may not get enough air. Do you think it will be OK If I go ahead with it?? I dont have CAI,etc.

HKS SPL Kit:

hkspipingkituu7.jpg

Design cover with sides:

22215988vh7.jpg

33497023oh9.jpg

32432097aj2.jpg

Will enough air still get under the sides to the pods?? Should I go ahead with it??

Thanks

There is still plenty of airflow, it wont be a cold air ram intake, but it wont be any worse than it is now.

Anyway air in the engine bay around ur pods is only really hot when the car is stationary

When ur moving the air is constantly being pushed out and replaced with cooler external air.

My bet is it wont make a difference, except for getting the cops off ur back about having exposed pods

post up plenty of pics of ur final airbox

There is still plenty of airflow, it wont be a cold air ram intake, but it wont be any worse than it is now.

Anyway air in the engine bay around ur pods is only really hot when the car is stationary

When ur moving the air is constantly being pushed out and replaced with cooler external air.

My bet is it wont make a difference, except for getting the cops off ur back about having exposed pods

post up plenty of pics of ur final airbox

Cheers mate, I agree with you, the sides I am putting on it arent that big so air should still find its way under them.

i have the same kit, cut a hole in the body work directly underneath where the pods are and run a 3-4" flexible intake pipe down to where the passenger side indicator is. i cut out the grill area on the indicator and the air goes up through that hole to my pods

still will get cop trouble as they arent enclosed, just covered on the top... as mentioned it wont be any better than without the cover, better to do something fully enclosed and have some air ducting, more costly, and time but better

Looking nice Bakes! Love HKS!

As ppl have said, it might not make much of a difference with the heat shield as you have the front mount intercooler.

BTW pods are ok as you are only alowed 1 intake mod, as I was told.

Do you still have the Standard Air Intake? You know the one that sits on top of your radiator? (Pic Below)

post-46584-1223731676_thumb.jpg

I suggest you just place the intake piece back on to feed air to the 2 pods.

Dont have the stock intake. Pods are defect in NSW.

At least this way they will be sought of hidden. Im not doing it as a heat shield, Im doing it so that the pods dont stand out like dogs balls.

Also I washed the car this morning and the pods got drenched. The cover should stop some water getting on them.

Ill go with the cover, If I get defected (touch wood I dont) Ill then get a custom enclosed box with intake done.

Yeah, I made it myself with 3mm aluminium plate and then covered it with carbon fibre contact.

Because I dont have any cold air intake I didnt want to make the sides too long, still need the air from the bay to get to the pods.

^^^^^ 1+ That's a great idea.

:P

Nice work Bakes.

Oh yeah forgot you were in NSW LOL!

Guess you can try a wreaker or Just Jap to see if they have any air intakes.

But when you said water got in when washing your car, Im sure air will have not problems getting in.