SAU Community

Xennon Headlights - Mist/fog

Hey guys,

How do you get rid of the mist/fog on your headlights. I've got xennon's on mine and I can see white fog/mist on the plastics. I thought it was on the outside but it appears on the inside. When i go wash the car they disappear but after 10-20 minues they come back.

I know it's an inherent thing with Stagea's but I would like to fix it and keep it clean (man why Nissan couldn't make it glass to save us some time and the headaches)

i remember spoting something at supercheap to fix this. it involves removing headlight, pouring in the liquid and moving the light around so all the area gets covered and voila. 1 shinny new looking piece of clear plastic apparently...

I took mine off and took them to a plastics shop where they sanded them back with a very fine sandpaper and then buffed them. They came up great, made them clearer at night and the only thing wrong with them now is the ageing cracks on the inside of the plastic cover. Best bet is to do what the others have said and use a plastic polish, or if you have access to a buff, you could always try sanding and buffing.

Use meguiars PlasticX plastic polish and then protect them with PLEXUS.

i can vouch for this, my old 33 headlights went crappy as they all do, used the PlastX on them, and they came up like literally new.

even ScratchX will work if you have that.

Looks like i'm going to go find some PlastiX and Plexus - where's the best place to buy them from??

RBPOWA - Use it on the outside, most people say it's on the outside where it fogs up and it would be a pain the in you know where if you had to do that on the inside

As I said before why didn't Nissan use glass instead of plastic...we'll never know

I usually get my plexus from marine chandlery shops, great for tail lights as well (originally designed to protect plastic aircraft windscreens). PlastX was harder to find, ask at supercheap maybe.

For those looking for a cheap intermediate solution (while trying to hunt down the above mentioned products)...try using toothpaste. Most toothepastes are mildly abrasive - enough to "polish" the headlights. DO NOT get it on the paint (or anywhere except the plastic headlight) obviously but it will clean up the plastic headlights fairly well if you use a bit of elbow grease (and wash it all off afterwards). I've done it a couple of times before and it works ok - not as good as meguiars PlasticX plastic polish but may be all you need.

WARNING: try it on a small patch of the light first to make sure it works on your car. (end of disclaimer).

brasso works too. ive used it on mine. it got rid of the yellowish hepatitis tint on the headlight :banana:

you hardly have to rub. just apply a small amount on a rag, rub over a small area, give it a minute to dry, and then wipe it off with a clean rag.

i cant compare it to plasticx etc. but it works pretty well for surface issues.

sorry to hyjack ur thread but does anyone have any issues with moisture getting inside their parking lighs on their s1 stags? My passenger side does it and it looks crap IMO. Any ideas on how to fix? I tried some windscreen glue but obversly didnt get all the holes or leaks... any other ideas?

This is my exact problem it's on the inside but there is no discoloration of the plastic at all

cheek the silicone job that the compliance shop did on your headlight cable entry holes

do not use tooth paste . sure it is abbrasive and will polish things BUT unlike actual polish it has no control over the size of the grinding particles . think about it . and dont use it on glasses and cds and everything else someone who thinks their clever has told you