SAU Community

Rejected Insurance Claims

DrewII

been reading some old threads and im going out of my way to avoid insurance hassles and returning my pod filter to stock air box and changing intercooler to one that is routed back underneath rather than cutting a hole out of the body (going to reinforce the hole thats currently there for protection).

however electronic boost controllers and an exhaust over 90db is defective and deemed illegal therefore unroadworthy. has anyone been rejected from insurance payouts with these mods?

be interesting to hear from people who have been rejected for insurance claims when they were the ones at fault.

Your Q is like "oyls ain't oyls" = "insurance companies ain't insurance companies".

If any mods on your car are listed with the insurance company, and they accept that listing, your car is covered.

It's called a contract!

Now for the grey area (no pun intended):-

If that mod is illegal under RTA rules and is deemed to be the cause of an accident, the insurance company may find a way out of that contract and go wobbly on you.

Not all insurance companies are the same. The fine print needs to be read. It's just a little bit easier than a Japanese Auction Sheet.

Tez

what you mean deemed to be the cause of the accident? so for air filters, intercoolers and elec boost controllers that give a car more power and the accident was speed related insurers won't have to pay up?

or for another example

im from NSW

im with justcars

i have insured the following parts on my contract: exhaust > 90db, pod filter, intercooler pipe put through body of the car, elec bost controller

the parts that are insured are illegal as per RTA rules

i smack into the ass off someone

anyone been in this situation before? will justcars or other insurers ass rape me for a claim?

You'll be OK whilst your car is listed with Just Car - just as mine are with Shannons. We both have a contract.

This means that if our cars were stolen, the insurance company must pay for their replacement!

What I mean by 'causing an accident' is...

that in the unlikely event that a piece of our illegal modification was to fly off and cause a stack, an insurance company is always looking for an 'out'. There's little chance I know, that a piece of fmic piping might crack > go under the rear wheel of your car > cause you to swerve > the motorist behind says wtf and he swerves > 10 car pile-up etc etc,

But hey, you're pretty safe! Just as the Concord aircraft passengers and crew were 'safe' after the plane ran over some previous plane's leftovers and crashed. No you're pretty safe!

I mean what are the chances that.....

And that's exactly how insurance company actuaries think!!!!!!!!!

What are the chances that....

Tez

Hey guys, I have a semi-related question. My car is insured by Just Car, and when I bought it I insured it as being bog stock. Since then I have done the suspension, new turbos, ECU, wheels, exhaust, EBC, and a few other bits and pieces. So firstly, If I go to put in a claim and they find the car with these things on it will they be able to back out on making a claim?

Also, if I do ring up Just Cars and tel them, will these extra parts make a significant increase in my premium?

A significant increase in premium won't happen unless the value of the mods is huge.

So the premium increase depends on the overall value pay-out difference.

If your car is stolen, then you may not recoup the value of your mods.

It's best to list them with Just Car.

I used to insure my R33 GTR with them + wife's car. They seemed OK.

Tez

just saw on another site coilovers are also illegal. however someone did write off his WRX with them installed. however they werent at a rediculously low height. insurance paid out full amount. so if they were a rediculous height and just cars did find it to be the cause of the accident then they don't have to pay out.

just saw on another site coilovers are also illegal. however someone did write off his WRX with them installed. however they werent at a rediculously low height. insurance paid out full amount. so if they were a rediculous height and just cars did find it to be the cause of the accident then they don't have to pay out.

Coilovers are not illegal.

They're a factory fitted item.

My mate wrote off his Series II R33 - had intercooler, pod, exhaust, ebc minus the controller he quickly removed and a remapped ecu..... I dont think he listed any of the mods because he mentioned they questioned him about a couple things - they didnt notice the remap or ebc though obviously... they ended up paying out to him anyways. Single car crash into a gutter - write off.

Coilovers are not illegal.

They're a factory fitted item.

Quite right because the factory fitted item has no height adjustment. Coilovers which are height adjustable are illegal.

If the adjustment on the coilover allows for the car to be lowered to a height less than legal then the coilover is illegal. Not sure what the ruling is on coilovers which do not adjust to below the legal limit.